1980 XT500 BUILD

SuperTrapp? Looks nice.

If it's too loud you can wrap the insides with wadding. I put one on my old cruiser - it was nice because you could add / remove plates to tune it ;)

Yeah im just have a play around with it now, its becoming very annoying. and i really am struggling to find a way to install it where it wont rub the tire too much.
also all the information/instructions they sent are in german, so that is a huge help, considering i dont speak german, so most of the bolts etc i have no idea what they are for.
Mounting it i can already tell is going to be a challenge.

MCKAY34 said:
Yeah im just have a play around with it now, its becoming very annoying. and i really am struggling to find a way to install it where it wont rub the tire too much.
also all the information/instructions they sent are in german, so that is a huge help, considering i dont speak german, so most of the bolts etc i have no idea what they are for.
Mounting it i can already tell is going to be a challenge.

You'll work it out, you've sorted everything else out up until now.
Good work so far, you'll have a nice bike when you're finished

You could also type the German instructions into Google and translate. They won't be exact but might help. Just don't mention the war.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
You could also type the German instructions into Google and translate. They won't be exact but might help. Just don't mention the war.
Haha thanks mate, I have asked kedo to send me the English instructions. Still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Well after i played around with my muffler, i realised that my stock exhaust pipe will not do, because for some reason, the previous owner, cut the pipe and put on some sought of extension.
Anyway who cares!

So i bought a new pipe.
Im still waiting for kedo to send me some english instructions, which i doubt are ever coming. Sooooooooooooo does anyone know where these 2 rings go? or what they are for?

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 257
In regards to the new exhaust and pipe, it really didnt fit all that well, so i have had to make up a new bracket to hold the exhaust in place,
as im sure most of you are aware there is absolutely no room for exhausts and mufflers on the XT, its so tight. I personally, on this bike am really struggle for room, so i have had to adjust some things. It may work for other people on there bikes, but for this build the exhaust wasnt fitting very well, without having problems late with the tyre rubbing.
So this bracket i made with solve that issue. I know it looks horrible now, but i will paint it and shape it better, im just seeing how it will fit, and turns out it works great.

Attachments

• IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 279
  • IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    770.5 KB · Views: 266
So here is the bike so far.

What do you think?

Its ready for some fuel and lets get it started and running!!!!!!

From here on, im going to need some help. getting the bike started and tuned.

What are my first steps to getting it started.

The bike has spark and fuel. i should probably check my points plate it set correctly. Anyone have any Advice??

Attachments

• IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 275
Love it. Looks great. As for starting it, fuel, choke, then start kicking!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Mr Bernzo said:
Love it. Looks great. As for starting it, fuel, choke, then start kicking!

Thanks Mate, wanted to go into a bit more detail than that hahah.

I have been kicking but no luck, time for some troubleshooting.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Keep the throttle closed when starting.

Yeah I have been doing that, I think I need to check the static timing.
I’m pretty sure it’s correct, but while kicking it, it doesn’t sound like it wants to start at all.

MCKAY34 said:
Thanks Mate, wanted to go into a bit more detail than that hahah.

I have been kicking but no luck, time for some troubleshooting.

I like to keep it simple. It's a big single 4 stroke. It's not going to be fun to kick over. If you have good spark, fuel & air flow, ignition timing set correctly, valve timing correct then you should be good to go. Make sure that the piston is at top dead centre before kicking.
Make sure you have your boots on too....

hahha yeah dont worry, i know i have to have boots on for sure!!!! still recovering from a broken leg , so im super sensitive with my limbs at the moment.

I think everything is set. ill give it some kicks today and let you know how i go.

I am wondering if i have set everything correct. I hope so

ok ive been kicking and kicking, something is up.

Take a look at my points plate, while on the F mark.

any thoughts, or any opinions on what else i should check or adjust,

I have spark and fuel

Attachments

• IMG_2175.JPG
    IMG_2175.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
MCKAY34 said:
ok ive been kicking and kicking, something is up.

Take a look at my points plate, while on the F mark.

any thoughts, or any opinions on what else i should check or adjust,

I have spark and fuel

Ok great result !!! It fired up! I adjusted the points plate a little bit. And it fired up.
I noticed an air leak in the exhaust, so I will adjust that now.

It ran for a bit, but didn’t sound all that strong.

Ok now I have a new problem. My battery is draining. I’ve had to recharge it twice.

Why would the bike be draining my battery?

ok so my update after today, i think its an electrical issue, i have no idea why my battery is not charging and is going flat.

Also check out my spark plug, i think its running too rich. a quarter turn out of the mixture screw might fix this.

Anyone know why my battery is going flat? its a new battery, but lasts like 4 minutes. even while the bike is running

Attachments

• IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    694 KB · Views: 260
Could be your regulator is bad. What is the voltage at the battery terminals while the bike is idling? What about if you rev it up a bit?

Back
Top Bottom