79 GS 750

ApacheAv8tor

About to chop her into something more personal. Any ideas for a front end?
9f2c85d403244bfd88a4af4cef0be647.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using DO THE TON mobile app

Nice looker already a really clean project for sure but for a straight upgrade ide go for the twin disc set up like off the gs650 ive just done it to my gs550 makes it look beefy without any cutting n chopping always here for Q&A's bud

I'm all for chopping, but deoends how crazy you want to. Gsxr usd, while some fucking around, are pretty special. Personally, id lower the springs a tad, keep the original forks, trim and shape the mud guard.... Simple, yet beautiful. I'm build a '76 model, so super keen to see your progress!

Sent from my A1601 using DO THE TON mobile app

That is exceptionally clean. You might think about ways to change it that will be reversible. Say different bars or fenders or seat and when you are tired of it you can offer the new buyer the stock parts with the modified bike.

I was biting my tongue, but since everybody else chimed in, let me be the next wet sock in line to point out that a gorgeous bike has landed on your lap, dude. You'd be far better off selling it to someone who appreciates it for what it is, then using those proceeds to fund development of a less-than pristine bike. From a financial standpoint alone, the decision seems like a no-brainer; by "chopping up" the bike you have, you either throw cash out the window or wind up with a much inferior machine, depending on how you look at it.

I'm with Cody for the most part, but Teazer makes a good point that touches on my general approach to modifying most things in the first place when you're dealing with something in good condition. At least start with modifications that are easily reversed, and if that doesn't get it to where you want it, then start thinking about more extreme measures. But hey, your bike your rules!!!

I honestly appreciate all the advice. I had no idea I was going to get hammered for modifying this bike. I would be happy to sell if someone wants it. I might throw it on eBay for the fun of it. Just really ready to tear it down and make my own out of it. By the way, this is my sobriety project so I've got time. Again, thanks for advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using DO THE TON mobile app

Good on you for taking control bud. Might be fun to throw it on eBay and see what happens. Is this your first bike? If so I'd ride it like I stole it for the summer, learn everything you can about it, perform all of the basic tuneup and maintenance, and then in the winter make an honest project out of it. Gives you a good baseline so you know how the machine should perform before you go tearing into it.

get the angle grinder out, you know you want to

on the other hand there are loads of things you can do without actually cutting anything, just put the stock seat/tank/bars/etc on a shelf and then if you do sell the bike it'll still be all shiny and stock for the next owner, i've done this with 750/4's in the past and the new owners like that they get a whole pile of çustom parts in the deal
on my current Vmax the first thing I did was get a spare set of bodywork that I could paint any stupid colour I like and still have the untouched set on a shelf (the second thing I did was put brakes on that work)

Bone stock, pristine GS750's are becoming rare. So if you are looking for something that no one else is riding, you can pretty much leave it alone ;D

Seriously though, you have to respect the fact that here is a 40 year old motorcycle that has survived all the "fads" over the years and remained intact.

If it was me, I'd be keeping it to ride to Sunday shows, then get a crappier example to cut up and have some fun with.

spotty said:
get the angle grinder out, you know you want to

on the other hand there are loads of things you can do without actually cutting anything, just put the stock seat/tank/bars/etc on a shelf and then if you do sell the bike it'll still be all shiny and stock for the next owner, i've done this with 750/4's in the past and the new owners like that they get a whole pile of çustom parts in the deal
on my current Vmax the first thing I did was get a spare set of bodywork that I could paint any stupid colour I like and still have the untouched set on a shelf (the second thing I did was put brakes on that work)

Yeah, you can make it look like a completely different bike without doing anything irreversible. It's your bike, your choice, people here are pretty friendly, don't fret.

First opinion, leave it alone, sell it and buy a cheap shabby one to modify.
Second thought, 17" black excel rims and heavy duty spokes, improve the brakes and rear shocks, bodywork - do whatever floats your boat, but I'd leave the standard stuff on but paint it in white/blue early GSXR stripes

Back
Top Bottom