GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"

Decide on the actual name for the bike project... "OVERKILL" in keeping with the Motorhead theme of "BOMBER".

Overkill - Motorhead

Took a break from prepping the engine, starting to see cylinder fins in my sleep!
We have had a cold spell here but was able to sandblast the rust off Kerker header, taped off the Supertrapp and hit it with play-sand out in the yard. Not only does this do a good job of removing rust but gives the remaing chrome a nice texture for the paint to stick.
Next came the Rustoleum Bar-b-que 1200 degree paint. Can said "Semi-Gloss" but it looked pretty glossy to me. Now this morning it has flattened out a little as it cured so it sould be fine. Here are a couple quick pics right after the final coat.... you can still see the overspray in the air of the garage!

I'm working on a '82 GS750T-going cafe/tracker style on mine, but really like what you're doing here. The brat/bobber style looks great on the GS. I'll be interested to see where it goes, looks great so far!

Today was a success, worked out just the way it was planned. Spent to morning at the wire wheel de-rusting misc fasteners. Cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol and sprayed some more of the VHT Epoxy black. This stuff cured to a nice sheen, almost a semi-gloss on the fork lowers and seems durable enough so I decided to try it on the triple tree, ign switch, chain adjusters and a boat load of nuts, washers and bolts. Still need to flip all the washers and get the backsides and the ends of the bolts but everything looks good for now. :)

Awesome, man. The frame color looks great. All the black bits came out nice too. I'll have to remember the appliance epoxy thing...

Thanks IndieSol... almost done with prepping the engine for paint. I know I planned all along on painting the case silver, even have the bottom painted already, but with the polished side covers and the frame color I am considering changing the engine to black. I REALLY like the looks of the black cylinders with the edges of the fins block sanded.
So I am now cosidering painting the cylinders and maybe the head flat black... sanding the fins... with silver lower case and top cam cover... and my polished side covers. Do you all think that would be too much?
My BSA back in the day had black jugs with everything else aluminum just like this one...

bsa_motor.JPG

After what seems like forever it finally quite raining here yesterday! The black on the cylinders has been curing for about 2 weeks and it's been masked off just waiting for a break in the weather to get the silver painted. One final wipe-down with rubbing alcohol and blowing off with compressed air and I got the results I was after. Now I can get it back in the frame and start re-assembly of the parts I have done. Long way to go but should start to see some better progress.

damn, you make that look easy...hell it took me 5 tries and a friend to fit my heavy bastard of an engine in there!

RedPlastic said:
damn, you make that look easy...hell it took me 5 tries and a friend to fit my heavy bastard of an engine in there!

After the Gl1100 this one was probably a breeze! Lookin Good Hoosier.

the motor looks amazing man! love the little touches like bolts and washers being painted. that makes such a huge diff in the final product! nice scoot man coming along very very well

Thanks guys!!! I am getting pretty stoked on this one now. I have been cleaning and painting small bits so I have a decent pile to assemble and make some quick headway now.

RedPlastic said:

Silly! Lay the engine on it's right side on top of a blanket / carboard / old matress what ever. 2 x 4 blocks stratigically placed to keep it level.
Then lower the frame on it side ways. Install the bolts left to right so all you do is screw the nuts on from the bottom side and then stand the whole thing upright ;) Much more easier!!!

Hoosier Daddy said:
Thanks guys!!! I am getting pretty stoked on this one now. I have been cleaning and painting small bits so I have a decent pile to assemble and make some quick headway now.

Silly! Lay the engine on it's right side on top of a blanket / carboard / old matress what ever. 2 x 4 blocks stratigically placed to keep it level.
Then lower the frame on it side ways. Install the bolts left to right so all you do is screw the nuts on from the bottom side and then stand the whole thing upright ;) Much more easier!!!

I'll be a son of a bitch!...damn you and you and your logic!

With the attention to detail already, I can't wait to see what it's going to look like all put together! Keep it up!

Not much for the update that's picture worthy. I have the triple tree and the swingarm mounted. I have been focusing on the wheels. White chalk corrosion there as well. :(
I originally planned on painting them black but closer inspection shows the factory color is close to my frame. So I have been cleaning, them in various ways.
First came the degreaser, then aluminum wheel cleaner... hmmmn not much help.
Then Mothers on the polished spoke edges and outer rim... Mehhh, no.
Tried my Dremel with a buffing wheel, Nope. I wound up using burgundy scotch brite on the entire wheel... now we are getting somewhere! It's looking much better! So I still have a second side to finish and then move on to the other wheel to give the same treatment.
I have a can of Duplicolors wheel paint clear left over from a past build, so once I get them spotless I'll hit them with that to preserve them after mounting the new tires. I took the numbers from the wheel bearings to our Motion Industries branch here in town and matched them up for a complete set... for $28 BONUS!

Back
Top Bottom