Project Cut & Paste - KZ750 Twin

damarble

Been Around the Block
Remove some of this, add some of that, you know how it goes. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Stock one owner KZ with 20k.
kz750_1.jpg

Mmm, inspiration.
deus_v-twin_cafe.jpg

Clipons and mirrors.
20120425_185653.jpg

Oh snap, where's my subframe.
20120508_200255.jpg

Taking even more frame out and replacing the shock studs 1" forward, 1" down.
20120511_191350.jpg

Much better stance.
20120512_124125.jpg

I'd ride it.
20120512_124155.jpg

Trim that exhaust up a bit.
20120518_175432.jpg

Need to lock my seat down.
20120520_190642.jpg

Some bits left to install.
tails-1.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!rIE-pY8fKflBPsO21vHvg~~60_1.JPG

used-2007-honda-cbr600rr-front-calipers-mp2u002402.jpg

$(KGrHqF,!pkE8Wk5k)6nBPn-GIb5K!~~60_1.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!rEE88gWlgGtBPoZisDnqw~~60_1.JPG

Is it my POS trailer workbench that gives away the white trash roots?

Lights and plate mounted. Also fender is bolted up to new welded on tabs, it was just propped up in previous pics.

20120525_200151.jpg

I put the matching front signals on and succeeded in blowing a fuse. After 3 stops before I found the right one I instead grabbed a blade fuse box and updated it.

She had a "photo shoot" today.

20120526_184538.jpg

20120526_184630.jpg

20120526_184639.jpg

Cool stuff. Great pics!

Are you planning on replacing the stator cover?

Yeah, I've got one, as well as another engine side cover,it is damaged too. I just want to polish them before they are installed and am procrastinating.

Awesome! This is exactly what I want to build on my next go. The only thing I would change is the rear rim size. But other than that it looks great.

Thanks. Up till now it's all been simple work too, easy to replicate. What did you want for the rear wheel? I like the 16" size on this bike but a wider tire probably would be aesthetically better.

I'm still shopping for some affordable ~11" rear shocks, I need to drop it down to compensate for the 1-2" I'll lose in the front with the USD forks. Speaking of which I'm slowly getting the front end together. Finally have both triples, pressed the stems out and need a sleeve machined to press the KZ stem into the 636 triple. Also hunting for a decent deal on a hub and/or wheel so I can finish the front as an assembly without tearing into the bike since I ride it every day. I want it all ready to go, right down to brakes bled and controls in place, so I can drop the old forks/trips out and slide the new ones on with minimal downtime.

I'd just think an 18" wheel would look a little more pleasing to the eye. But it sounds like you have had your work cut out for you! New front end should be sweet!

A 18 probably would look good. I'm even starting to second guess not putting 17s with modern rubber front and back. But this combo works good enough and the spokes fit the style of the bike.

In all honesty I could have fixed the blown out stock forks, upgraded the brake pads and been good to go. But what's the fun in that?

I think you KZ guys have hooked me ! Been looking for a long time for a Vertical Twin large enough for my middle / old age spread ! I've tried 500's and 650s [ Japanese ] but all have ended up with the Gorilla on a pit bike image. I think I'm missing a twin from my stable of projects.

The KZ looks big enough [ physically ], and if I can get one [ UK ] with spoked wheels I'm off and running. I'm thinking along the lines of the BSA Rocket Gold Star for inspiration, with Siamese exhaust and Goldie silencer. Yep - 18" rear wheel for me too, but that's just to keep the 60's look.

I've heard there are mechanical issues with the motor ??????? That said there does seem to be plenty of NOS spares available at reasonable money. Unlike my TR1 / XV980's ::)

beachcomber said:
I think you KZ guys have hooked me ! Been looking for a long time for a Vertical Twin large enough for my middle / old age spread ! I've tried 500's and 650s [ Japanese ] but all have ended up with the Gorilla on a pit bike image. I think I'm missing a twin from my stable of projects.

The KZ looks big enough [ physically ], and if I can get one [ UK ] with spoked wheels I'm off and running. I'm thinking along the lines of the BSA Rocket Gold Star for inspiration, with Siamese exhaust and Goldie silencer. Yep - 18" rear wheel for me too, but that's just to keep the 60's look.

I've heard there are mechanical issues with the motor ??????? That said there does seem to be plenty of NOS spares available at reasonable money. Unlike my TR1 / XV980's ::)

No real mechanical woes. The only real issue is the starter clutch, and they can be repaired. Check out http://www.armbell.com/kz400/index.php?mforum=kz400 they have a KZ750 section where you can get a good bit of info.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Oooops - that'll teach me to do my research properly. :-[ :-[

It's the YAMAHA TX750 that was reffered to as "having problems" - sorry all you ZK owners. 8)

sinbad85 said:
so hows that front end conversion going for ya?

On the backburner, other projects taking precedence. It's started freezing here so the riding has all but stopped, the work can commence when I have the time.

Back
Top Bottom