Eastwood Welders

SONICJK

Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
So I've always been a big proponent of these welders.
They are cheap, they weld well, and they are reasonably reliable.
I have 3.

This is just a PSA that they are no longer willing to sell parts to their customers.

They are only willing to sell parts to a "welding repair facility" but since none of them (at least here) are willing to even look at anything that's not red or blue I can't get the parts I need.

Since no one will work on eastwood (chinese) welders I'm just fucked and the one that needs a new power board is a brick until I can repair the board.

I know they cost a bit more, but I have had to deal with Miller (Hobart) customer service several times and they are amazing. I pay for customer service sometimes (why I use McMaster-Carr so much), and I'm totally cool with that. I suspect Levi will tell you good things about Lincoln since it seems they treat his school pretty well.

Sorry to hear about this crap.

I have love for Hobart/Miller and Lincoln equally. (Hobart is also my alma mater) My only gripe against any import has always been service and parts availability. We use plenty of Lincoln at the school, but have a good amount of blue too. I personally own an everlast and have no gripes with it either, but haven't dealt with buying parts yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sonic, thanks for the info on Eastwood.

My mig is an old Schumacher and parts for that have been a pain. I need an upgrade machine.

You might look at something from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight that is very similar. I know that HF does occasionally sell parts for their machines, and their owners manuals with parts lists are online.

I just bought a capacitor to fix it myself, it's just incredibly frustrating that they won't sell me the part, especially since they know no one will service it.

I've got the eastwoods, a miller mig and a lincoln tig.

The Lincoln is currently in the shop (after less than 6 months. BS also, but at least they cover parts and labor for 5 years) so we needed the eastwood as a backup.

Just super frustrated overall.

Everything breaks, one of the reasons I loved the eastwoods is they always have taken care of me when something breaks, under warranty they are GREAT, they just send a new welder lol. Out of warranty until now has been a PITA but at least I could get parts if I finally got the right person on the phone. Now you're just stuck.

I'll update this if they make it right, I've emailed the president and several others over there to let them know how dissatisfied I am with this bullshit.

pidjones said:
You might look at something from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight that is very similar. I know that HF does occasionally sell parts for their machines, and their owners manuals with parts lists are online.

I haven't seen the same welder design anywhere else.

Eastwood did let slip today that their welders are made by the same company making miller's tigs now.

I've heard lots of good about the eastwood ones, but no dealer near me. When I went in the market for a real mig I ended up with a hobart. So far 3 years later I'm still happy with it. Plus you can get decent deals on factory refurb straight from hobart with a 2yr warranty. Www.Hobartweldshop.com might look there if you are on a budget.

As an alternative...
Back when I was working; we’d send circuit boards out for repair. We didn’t do it for welders, but industrial machinery. Pull the suspected board, and send it in for diagnosis & repair. They had a quick turn around time, prices were reasonable and they warranty their work. Might be worth calling and checking into it for future use.

https://circuitboardmedics.com/about-us/

K4 said:
As an alternative...
Back when I was working; we’d send circuit boards out for repair. We didn’t do it for welders, but industrial machinery. Pull the suspected board, and send it in for diagnosis & repair. They had a quick turn around time, prices were reasonable and they warranty their work. Might be worth calling and checking into it for future use.

https://circuitboardmedics.com/about-us/

That's great thanks!

New Cap fixed the welder.

Also after submitting a review summarizing this issue I got this:

I guess their "website guidelines" are positive things only. just goes to prove you can't trust reviews posted to manufacturer websites

Attachments

• eastwood.JPG
    eastwood.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 287
SONIC. said:
New Cap fixed the welder.

Also after submitting a review summarizing this issue I got this:

I guess their "website guidelines" are positive things only. just goes to prove you can't trust reviews posted to manufacturer websites

Wow. That's questionable.

advCo said:
Wow. That's questionable.

Yeah, the review wasn't angry or inflammatory, just factual saying that they won't sell their parts to customers and that should be a consideration in purchase.

I have an older Eastwood MIG that has done pretty well. I used it for sheet metal work and have welded in quite a few floor pans over the years. However, when I welded commercially I only used Lincolns. Part of this was because Lincoln was just down the street and part was because we got a huge discount for having Lincoln advertising in our business. I will say Lincoln customer service has always been great and Eastwood customer service has declined. If we had time, I'd write about trying to buy a vibratory tumbler from Eastwood. As a result of that deal, I've not purchased anything from Eastwood for five years.

J-Rod10 said:
And, after four faithful years, my Tig200 AC/DC has shit the bed. Like it just lost all power. It'll arc, but won't create a puddle in anything. Weird.

Going to give the Primeweld 225X a go. As little as I use it, I can't hardly justify a $2K+ Miller.

https://primeweld.com/products/primeweld-tig225x-225-amp-igbt-ac-dc-tig-stick-welder-with-pulse-ck17-flex-torch-and-cable-3-year-warranty

Thanks for the link. I had not heard of this brand. Looks like a sweet deal. I'm shopping a new machine as well.

canyoncarver said:
Thanks for the link. I had not heard of this brand. Looks like a sweet deal. I'm shopping a new machine as well.

Seems to be a pretty feature packed machine for the price. The digital Eastwood is $1,100, with no pulse. Only real gripe I have seen, is the pedal, and that's easy enough to swap out.

https://youtu.be/-YkWY3nVAlY

I don't see AC tig, which is what you need for aluminum welding. Don't think DC forward or reverse will work.

Second up/down switch on the top row from the left, is AC/DC. He plays with some aluminum in the video review as well.

Back
Top Bottom