Braking Techniques

gribbs

Coast to Coast
What techniques do you use for braking? front, back, both at the same time? What are some tips for braking before a turn, etc.

Currently, I am all rear, all the time. My front brake's been off a while. My technique is to give it hell till the rear breaks loose, then repeat. It helps if you tighten your butt cheeks as this is happening.

hahah nice!! I was also wondering, lots of choppers have no front brake, but what about running only a front brake? If it has more stopping power this could make sense, unless using the back all the time plus adding the front is the proper technique.

So what is good technique? Obviously I have no clue and cant remember from the MSF-style course i took a few years ago....

gribbs said:
So what is good technique? Obviously I have no clue and cant remember from the MSF-style course i took a few years ago....

Based on the motorcycle training course I did, proper technique is to use both at the same time, all the time. There were a couple of extreme scenarios I believe that called for one or the other, but I can't remember. This is what I do as well.

When I bought my CB400 a month ago, I rode it home and it never had a rear brake (wasn't adjusted correctly), I found it really strange, and scary, not having the rear.

The best is both but applying the rear just before the front helps prevent dive. And never apply front when in a turn, you will dump instantly. They made us do a neat trick in the MSF to see the feeling. walk beside motorcycle, turn the wheel slightly then apply front brake, the bike trys to hit the ground. So both brakes in a straight line, only rear in a turn if you need to and if in a turn and the rear won't stop you , you have to get the bike upright before using front brake. I practice this all the time so it becomes automatic. Don't feel like a face plant for grabbing front when I shouldn't.

Cheers,

Maritime.

From experience, don't use the front brake turning onto a gravel road. Broke in my new riding gear nicely that day.

I use both most of the time and only the rear brake round corners

Jay

Yeah, bottom line is you should be anticipating your speed going into corners and braking in advance. You want to accelerate through corners and hang the rear end out ;)

Of course, if you anticipate a corner, and are in the proper gear, you shouldn't really need to brake at all.

I read an article in MOTOUSA magazine. I fella won a trip to a road racing course, complete with instruction from a Kawasaki racing team. For the first lap, the instructre made he and the magazine's representatives go through the entire road course without touching the brakes at all. This was to get them accustomed to the natural decaleration caused by the engine and gear changes....they said it was tricky, and felt unnatural, but ultimately, made them all into better road racers.

I pretty much only brake when approaching stop signs/lights, or when somebody in front of me slows down...but these are pretty much always on straights.

That being said...I ride with my hand and foot prepared at all times...you never know when you're going to HAVE to brake, to avoid something.

I tend to ride like everyone and everything is out to get me...some people say that this makes me look "uncomfortable." I say that I'm being cautious...

At the various track schools I been to the advice is when on pavement use the front because that is where 80% of your braking power is under decelerations. As you stop the rear wheel un-weight and therefore has less traction. The exceptions are on the gravel or at low speeds where you will use the rear. You should already start braking prior to the turn and start releasing the brake as you turn in. Good books to read on this are by Keith Code; Twist of the Wrist or Twist of the Wrist 2. He also offers a killer school entitled California Super Bike.

The responses above are good bit I'd like to add a bit more detail when considering more aggressive stopping situations.
Good technique here can make the difference between riding away on your bike or in a ambulance.
The front brake does a VAST majority of the stopping. When you apply the brakes, front or rear, the "weight" of the bike (car too) moves forward.
This is most apparent when applying the front brake. Just watch the race bike guys coming off a straight into a corner and see how they get weight over the front wheel.
The trick is to get that weight to shift smooooothy and not suddenly.
You squeeze the front brake lever you do not grab it. I actually had my front wheel "skitter" a bit 'cause I snatched the brake to fast.(major pucker factor :eek:)
This will move the weight onto the front tire and cause the contact patch to increase thereby increasing your stopping power.
Once the weight has transferred, add more some rear brake (light on the foot)to give a bit more grip. This all takes place in a short time so you need some practice.
I can't tell you how many times I have seen riders grab way too much rear brake and skid .
You can apply braking in a corner but gentle...gentle...gentle is the only way. I use mostly the rear with a touch of front. A touch...
Best have your entrance speed sorted out BEFORE getting into a corner.
Go out and practice emergency stopping on a side road. You may be surprised a how fast you can pull the bike down after you get the right feel for the brakes.
Just my $.02 worth after 30+ years of riding ;)

Maritime Biker said:
The best is both but applying the rear just before the front helps prevent dive. And never apply front when in a turn, you will dump instantly. They made us do a neat trick in the MSF to see the feeling. walk beside motorcycle, turn the wheel slightly then apply front brake, the bike trys to hit the ground. So both brakes in a straight line, only rear in a turn if you need to and if in a turn and the rear won't stop you , you have to get the bike upright before using front brake. I practice this all the time so it becomes automatic. Don't feel like a face plant for grabbing front when I shouldn't.

Cheers,

Maritime.

Yeah, trail braking is a finesse thing that you can use to tighten up your line. I know of some guys who actually let air into their rear master cylinders so the rear brake is mushy and less likely to grab too hard. I'm not that good a rider, so I won't mess with that. On my sportbikes, it's both brakes with the emphasis on the front rotors. Keep in mind that 2/3rds of your stopping power is up front (sportbikes with forward weight bias).

TJEvans said:
I read an article in MOTOUSA magazine. I fella won a trip to a road racing course, complete with instruction from a Kawasaki racing team. For the first lap, the instructre made he and the magazine's representatives go through the entire road course without touching the brakes at all. This was to get them accustomed to the natural decaleration caused by the engine and gear changes....they said it was tricky, and felt unnatural, but ultimately, made them all into better road racers.

I tried this yesterday on my lunch break, over some extremely twisty coastline. Took a while to get use to not using the brakes, but was a blast. Can't wait to try it again.

I primarly use engine braking before a corner, or I'll use my front a little if I am going too fast for the crunch box to slow me down. I still have the factory rear brakes on my Thruxton and it has 30K miles on it. Been through a few sets of fronts though.

EEk! That's kinda harsh, ain't it? The way I look at it, engine parts costs more than brake parts! I try to set up my line, brake as close to the apex as my abilities allow, hang a cheek over the saddle, and let the bike, suspension (hopefully set up correctly), and sticky tires carve through the turn. In my early squidly days, I tried to learn how to match the revs to the lower gears (blipping) as I approached a turn, and many times experienced that unsettling of the chassis and wheel hop, a cardinal sin according to the bible, a.k.a A Twist of the Wrist.

Usually I just swing my right leg around to the back and gently apply pressure with the base of my foot against the tire. Not only will it stop your bike, it looks bad ass and chicks dig it.

...we are talking about BMX bikes...no?

Engine braking won't damage your engine...unless you're riding a two-stroke running premix. Even running a lube system I'm not overly fond of sustained engine braking on a two stroke. In fact, engine braking is a crucial part of breaking in an engine. Check out this guys take on running in a bike, I reckon it makes a lot of sense.

Anywho, the whole deal with more front than rear and no front in corners is exactly right. Only one thing kinda stuck out for me:

Of course, if you anticipate a corner, and are in the proper gear, you shouldn't really need to brake at all

Thats right, because you will have done the braking beforehand and will have downchanged to the gear you want to accelerate out of the corner in.

Braking is, however, an integral part of coming up to a corner. I won't pretent that I ride to the speed limit. I ride to the conditions. Sometimes this means I might actually be going slower than the posted limit. You should accelerate through and away from a corner and start slowing down (braking) before the next corner. Linked turns will see a more constant speed or more aggressive lean angle being used, as you can't brake as effectively.

Lastly, Nanahan Man gets the prize for best post IMO:

You squeeze the front brake lever ... have your entrance speed sorted out BEFORE getting into a corner ... You may be surprised at how fast you can [stop].

Right on, especially that last bit. I like practicing emergency stops, I've had to use them a few times when car drivers have done stupid/dangerous things (usually involving them not seeing me and me having to stop to avoid hitting them). Work out how long it'll take you to stop from higher speeds, to, as this will give you a benchmark for big ticket hazards ('Can I stop/slow/turn in time?'). I've worked out that I can stop in ~100ft from 75mph, using just a bit more than moderate braking force. Only other thing I'd add is hazard anticipation and buffering. Look ahead for hazards, as well as potential ones. Buffer away from these hazards by controlling the space in front of your bike and your position in the lane (left, middle, right).

Thats all folks, keep it up! - boingk

I use both brakes initially, as the front dives and the weight shifts I ease off the rear so it won't slide. As for braking in a curve... trail braking works very good but can be tricky to accomplish. You can brake half way through a curve then accelerate out of the curve, but........ it is a difficult balancing act and takes a lot of practice to do. Also, a tire will emit a distinct howl just before it lets go. It is possible to pull the brake lever in and hold it at this point which is at (but not over) the sliding point of the tire and your best stopping power. The best place I have found to practice is on a long straight located in a deserted backroad with no traffic or houses around. Run your bike up to as fast as you dare and stop as quickly as possible, after you do this several times you will get a good idea of how your bike will react during a stopping emergency. Train yourself to look in the mirror as you stop so you can keep an eye on those behind you and know your position relative to them. That way, you can know if they are going to hit you, hopefully, allowing time to get out of their way. This has saved my a$$ more than once. A word on ABS systems...... some of them, particularly the older BMW's, will give off a whirring or clicking sound just before the ABS clicks in. You should practice until you can hold them at this point as this will provide maximum braking power. On a BMW cruiser I once owned I amazed several of my friends on sportbikes with the cruiser's ability to stop in such short distances, unfortunately I wore out my front tire and both sets of front disc pads in 4000 miles....... ooops.... ;D

crazypj said:
In my opinion, anyone running without a front brake is due to become a statistic

Hell yeah, man, I'm actually very surprised that its allowed. Over here its one of the base requirements for most vehicles; brakes on each wheel, with an independantly operated backup system for the main circuit. I'd freak if I had to ride without a front brake, and probably be dead/injured several times over already.

dewjantim said:
Train yourself to look in the mirror as you stop

Another good point, although you should be hitting the gear lever in an emergency stop as well. Stopping short of a hazard is great, but if you then notice a 4x4 looming up behind you and you're still in top...its not a good place to be. Always, always try and be in the correct gear for the speed you're doing. Remember that motorcycles trade airbags and steel intrusion bars for nimbleness and acceleration; you've gotta use 'em to get out of a situation, so be prepared to.

Cheers - boingk

Back
Top Bottom