Just picked up a new bike.

hanly2

Been Around the Block
I just got this 1980 Sportster yesterday. It is in ok shape the pics make it look better. The motor is supposed to have only 400 miles on it, rebuilt 20 over with s&s rods, 10:1 pistons, loopy cam and head job, and a screaming eagle carb. I don't know anything about these bikes yet. So we all know that dtt is the best site for cafe bikes, can someone recommend the best site for my new bike?

There is a sportster specific forum you should be able to google easily. It covers all the different styles.

check out benjie cafe racers, he has a cool lookin sporty in progress shown on his site.

Whats your plan for the bike? Make sure the wiring is in good shape, i have seen that big the biggest problem on another old sportster (80s) a friend was workin on

The wiring is all brand new, someone had just recently built the bike. Not sure what my plans are yet, probably just make some minor changes like tank, bars, seat, tires, fenders and then just ride it.

that two up seat has some nice lines.... maybe you can chop the hell out of that and make it a single/dunstall ducktail rear? its a clean sporty. what about making it into a flat tracker/street tracker? theres TONS of parts for that

Nice score, I've always liked the old Ironheads. Here's a good Sportster site: http://xlforum.net/index.html

I like the dual disc setup. There's lots you can do with an XL, just use your imagination. Although I think it would take too much work to cafe it so go for a stripped down look.

5573_148073872673_631952673_3909940_3401733_n.jpg

Thanks for all the links guys. I have been informed by the misses and the kids that this bike has to remain a 2 seater unlike the 360. So that narrows down my options, which is a good thing because there was so many ways to go. I am thinking mini apes or I even like the stock style bars that come on the new sportsters not sure what they are they look like super bike bars or something, then maybe a sleeker style seat like the mustang or something.

Back
Top Bottom