The 1976 Yamaha XS500 ground up build

saywhat said:
Well, I've been tinkering for a few days with random bits, making sure I can track down all the seals/gaskets I need. I have also been playing with the wiring harness off the bike, eliminating the automatic turn signal canceler, and replacing my current relay with one that will work well with LED signals.

It looks like a mess now, but should be cleaned up and back on the bike shortly.

03172011237.jpg

this is probably the most organized i've ever seen anybodies wiring harness. great job so far.

jmj166 said:
this is probably the most organized i've ever seen anybodies wiring harness. great job so far.

I'll get some good pics of the finished harness, hopefully it will make that look like a rats nest :)

Worked on my hidden battery setup last night, I plan on mounting my limited electronics and gel battery under the seat pan and hump on this fabricated tray. I picked up a smaller gel batt because I am eliminating the starter and wanted to be able to mount the battery in any direction... So naturally the only way it will fit well, is in the normal vertical manner.

I have traced the location of all the components onto the tray, now I just need to weld it up and get some hardware to mount everything, trim/lengthen the harness and button it up.

Battray.jpg

clearance.jpg

Cheers :)

VonYinzer said:
Very clean. Good stuff man.

Thanks.

Now that I have the cylinders back from the machine shop I really need to wrap up the electrical so that I can get that engine back together. I can't wait until my updates actually show the whole bike haha.

Worked on the harness over the weekend, lengthened and shortened some wires and cleaned it up a bit. Should have a shot of all the electronics on the bike shortly.

Harness.jpg

Harness2.jpg

Cheers

Dick Danger said:
Wow!! PLEASE come do this to mine!!

I'd be happy to round up some heat shrink and sheathing and send them your way, but the labor... I don't want to do another harness for a while haha.

This is the basic layout of the tray, I've welded nuts to the back side to hold the machine screws, and powdercoated it over the weekend. I'll get some pictures of it mounted with the harness sometime this week. It should look super clean... hopefully.

Unfinishedtray.jpg

Cheers :)

JRK5892 said:
looks great! love the wire wrap! really cleans things up doesnt it!!! looking good man!!!

Thanks! Totally cleans it up, I just hope I don't have to hunt down any electrical problems in the near future, it would break my heart to have to cut into that haha.

Really gorgeous work man. Sorry if you mentioned, but where did you end up sourcing the wrap? I haven't been happy with what I've been able to find so far...

i get mine on ebay now from... furryletters that is the name of the seller, she has side entry and expandable.... as well as a great deal on shrink wrap! that is where i buy all our shops stuff

valvesprung said:
Really gorgeous work man. Sorry if you mentioned, but where did you end up sourcing the wrap? I haven't been happy with what I've been able to find so far...

Thanks.

I picked up the wrap at a local shop that specializes in electronics. It wasn't very expensive, the largest diameter was about $0.30 a foot, and it got less expensive the smaller the diameter.

I'm sure there are sources online, or if you have any specialtly electronics stores (Not Radio Shack) in your area, I would check those out.

If you can't track any down, I'd be happy to pick some up and mail it your way at cost. Just let me know the size and length you need.

I find it interesting to see builds how they start and where they are currently. your doing a bang-up job.
I also find it interesting how intimidated people sound when they first start. Then, when they get into it they realize things can happen. The only questions I have is the little black box behind your fuse box under your seat pan is that your rec/reg? is so you might want to consider putting it under your seat they need airflow.
great job. it has been 6 years since I built my old girl and still not finished.

Cheers
Mortikan

Very good mate. We do ave a great electronic store that I got everything else at, they just seemed to be out of the braided wrap. If Joe's Ebay vendor doesn't work out I'll keep in touch!

saywhat said:
Thanks.

I picked up the wrap at a local shop that specializes in electronics. It wasn't very expensive, the largest diameter was about $0.30 a foot, and it got less expensive the smaller the diameter.

I'm sure there are sources online, or if you have any specialtly electronics stores (Not Radio Shack) in your area, I would check those out.

If you can't track any down, I'd be happy to pick some up and mail it your way at cost. Just let me know the size and length you need.

Mortikan said:
The only questions I have is the little black box behind your fuse box under your seat pan is that your rec/reg? is so you might want to consider putting it under your seat they need airflow.

Cheers
Mortikan

I believe that is my rectifier. the sides of the tray are open and should get a fair amount of airflow, but I may fashion some sort of air diverter to give it a little more specific air movement over the heat sink fins.

Thanks

And thanks for all the positive comments guys! It's really helping the project gain some momentum :)

Still waiting on parts from mikesxs.com. I will not be using this vendor in the future, they have done nothing but waste my time :frustrated:

Back
Top Bottom