CM 185T - The Learning Curve

sxecafe

You think the Carpet Pissers did this?
Added another project to the garage last night. A 1978 Honda CM185T.

The back story is this...Im about to get married (June 16th of this year) and I have been with my fiance for eight years. Her father is a mechanic and used to rally race and ride moto cross in Argentina, where he, and her family, is from. She is always in the garage helping me, especially during those tough moments when you are about to put a wrench through the wall because things aren't working. She rides on the back of my bikes but has always hinted that she wants her own. This May, she is finishing her bachelors degree and I wanted to reward her with something that would be a great bonding project for the two of us and something she can get dirty with and stop bugging me to do things on my bike.

Enter my purchase last night. Its a pile, but something small (a concern of hers) and slow (a requirement of mine). I picked it up for $180. Something, in CA, I am very happy with.

Here are pics from the CL add:

hondacmjpgSMALL.jpg

hondacm1jpgSMALL.jpg

and the inspiration:

Ewing__20111025_1607.jpg

I will unveil it to her in May but I want to get the bike a thread of it's own.

That is damn cool ! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I like these smaller bikes.

YEAH! I like it too...
Got any info on the inspiration photo?
What is that thing and who built it? I love it!
Can't wait to see what you guys do with hers!!

It looks cool, no? Here is the article about it:

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/11/2/1978-honda-cm-185t-classified-moto.html

Thanks for the nods, guys. It was great last night she was over at my neighbors house with me and Im storing the bike in his garage. He made up a story that he bought the bike for $150 bucks and that he used to ride bikes in India, where he is from. Giuliana said "It's such a cute bike!!! I love how small it is!" Hook. Line. Sinker. hahahahah

Hows this one coming along? forgot to post to get updates first time I looked in. I sooo want to get my wife to learn to ride, maybe if I built her a bike she would.

Still sitting in my neighbors garage. It's my girls last week of school and as of right now, she has three finals left. She'll be done on Sat and graduating on Tuesday. Im not sure which day I'm going to give it to her but I will document the reveal.

So here is how it all went down. I mocked up a certificate for the Ride Rite motorcycle training course and inside I shopped a picture of the bike from the CL ad. Around it I told her that our neighbor didnt buy the motorcycle and it was actually hers. I slipped it in to her computer and let her find it on her own. It took her a minute to actually realize what was going on. You can tell she gets it when she gets loud.

http://youtu.be/wVzEUZlvoCE

Here is the "card":

cd758704.jpg

Here is her on the hog:

29be8de7.jpg

and here is the graduate:

f8b1f07e.jpg

Thanks, bud. She was so stoked. Such an overwhelming day. We're very happy right now.

:) Thanks, man. I know I keep saying this but I just cant get over how happy I am for her. It's like a proud parent but... not.

Little thread bump on this one. Wasn't going to get too far in to this thing for a while but I saw a deal that was pretty darn good. Got this '71 CB175 tank for the bike.

KGrHqVHJEgEeDHVpjBQNU7HVbsg60_57.jpg

There is a carb for pretty cheap also that I am watching. That's all.

Got the tank yesterday and the wife got so excited that we made a parts list. Hoping to not get too far in to this one. She wants to ride and I don't have the time to go ape shit with a 185cc build.

Heres the tank on the bike. Have to lower the head light to make it look right with some low-rise bars.

0F1824DC-BF75-4F53-94E5-BC91243D2993-3093-000005D079A236CD.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Signing up as well, wanted to do something similar for my girl but then so went and found a CB1 to steal. You inspiration looks great! :)

Back
Top Bottom