'74 CB360 cafe/fighter-ish project

Tank Color

• Total voters
thanks gentlemen..i too am in nj ,toms river to be exact, while the cops arent a hassle to much i was stopped twice in two years on my buell but that was just because i was doing 95 in a 50 and because my plate wasnt visible..i think if i go to my last job and ask the owner he would do the "abandoned vehicle" thing for me but even then its still around the same price as JP stated..i havent spent a dime yet but im really looking forward to my first actual build and working with my 6 1/2 yr old son so we can build something together..again thanks for the help im sure ill be bothering both of you a few times along the way.more pics to come as things start to come off!

definitely a small world..i started a build thread in the projects area...i titled it "1975 cb360 first full build and i posted some pictures as well"

Re: '74 CB360 cafe/fighter-ish project - RIDE BY VID!!!

Ride By Vid!

oh yeah, and the engine broke when I got home.

hfml.

Pipe is too short, messes up carburation at various engine speeds.
What main jets are you running?
Probably need 115 minimum?

you are correct on the pipes being too short. running 115 mains and its great at the top end, but rich everywhere else. I'm running a set of air jets I bought from you and its livable, but not perfect. The float level was raised 1mm to 19.5mm (I think). it coughs lightly at cruise with the pilot screws 3/4 turns out, maybe an eighth of a turn less, but thats the best I can get. with the weather cooling down I'm running the 115's and it gets better the cooler it is.

when I step down to 112.5 mains its great everywhere except the top end where i feel a noticeable lack of power from what I assume is a lean condition. with the 112.5 mains i get great idle and cruise with the pilot screws 1.5 turns out.

Im thinking about raising the float height another .5mm, but Ive been lazy.

and never mind about that line saying the engine broke. it fixed itself. id love to know why and how, though. here's the explanation of what happened: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=29789.0

Fit an extension to the pipe.
It needs to end at least behind rear footrest, rear axle or rear edge of tyre will be better
Anything correct diameter, section of over axle pipe from a v-8 should work? (2.5~3" dia)
Don't know if you could get a smaller diameter pipe swaged to fit tight into collector?
Fit it in or over the collector, drill a couple of holes and hold together with sheet metal screws if nothing else works
Use a hose clamp to fit bracket to rear footrest mount so it doesn't bounce around.
Then fit the 112.5 secondary mains
You'll be happier and so will bike (don't think the neighbors will be though)

I'll see what I can find, but I'm not in a rush. we've actually had this conversation before, a couple pages back. The Mac 2-1 muffler that came with the pipes got in the way of the rear brake, so I couldnt use it. pipes point straight at the rear set lever. not sure how I'm going to get around that, and have it look decent.

Doh, I remember now ;)
I don't think there is any way to make it look real good, you need a slight up-sweep from what I remember?
I'll go back a couple of pages, you did post side on pictures, I need to look at things again

OK, I'm back
Just watched the video again.
It looks like you could use slightly shorter link rod and raise pedals slightly, then couple of bends and exit on chain side, crossing over in front of rear wheel so exit is behind gear lever?
Another way to do it would be feed both pipes into a collector with a 90 degree bend attached and exit opposite side.
I've seen exhaust with 180degree bends on Suzuki SV 650 and also on Ducati, maybe fabricate something like that using car exhaust pipes?
I've picked up junk car exhaust pipe from local muffler shops for free (take a hacksaw and some spare blades or a tailpipe cutter ;D )
I know it's real difficult when you don't have access to welding equipment but there are ways and means ;)
One good thing about wrapping exhaust, you can hide all sorts of stuff under it 8)
http://www.coneeng.com/collectors.html
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/mandrel-bends-34/?osCsid=bcb282fa876b5803011c86556fe1b2d3

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3 (it's a joke ;) )

http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/Header%20Kits,%20Tubing%20and%20Bends%20PDF.pdf (top of page 3)

I've used these people, can't find the 90 degree bends though? (I'm off to bed, it's 4:34am
http://www.magnumforce.com/store/results.asp?CategoryID=29

I LOVE KALE CO AUTO! I have a couple friends working at the local Advance Auto Parts store, so I printed up fliers in red and yellow (advance colors) with the turn signal fluid ad on them and posted them around the store. funniest shit ever.

those are some damn good prices on those collectors and U-bends. I may actually look into this now for a winter project. Currently, I'm unemployed so everything's out of my budget. I like the idea of crossing it over in front of the rear tire and exiting behind the LH side control with a slight kick-up. gonna have to find a nice shorty muffler I can hollow out or something. yeah, I think youve actually convinced me this time.

I had the pipes wrapped, but the one rubs on the frame at the front and just juts through it due to the vibration. so for the time being everything is vht high-temp black.

The unemployment thing seems to be pretty common (I was 'let go' in June, 2 weeks after surgery)
Being broke does force you to be more innovative though (I've always been broke :( )
Seems every time I get everything caught up, something happens to get ack to square one.
At least I bought useful stuff last 11 yrs and I have bunch of 'junk' bikes to play with ;D
I'm more worried about my arm and back than money at present :-\

Yeah, I've been at square one for a while now. You're right on the innovation part. I just finished building a kz750 that I probably have less than $200 into (link in my sig). Just using old parts I had lying around the garage.

I've heard about your recent medical history, that's rough man. Hope ya m@ake a full recovery soon.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Re: '74 CB360 cafe/fighter-ish project Burnout Pics!

I was bored tonight so I had a buddy take some pics of a little smoke. didnt come out so well, but not terrible. i thought the flash would catch more of the smoke.

starting to spin it.
20111223_171719.jpg

gettin it warmed up.
20111223_171716.jpg

WOOHOOO!! laugh
20111223_171723.jpg

LOL, ;D
Even with the price of tyres being so high, I've done that when real bored ;)

ive wanted to do that for a long time. actually my first real burnout (not rolled up against a wall).

picked up a 18t front sprocket the other week. it had kind of a lip on either side that had to be ground down so that the locking plate could get far enough down the output shaft to turn and line up with the bolt holes. that took like 15 minutes of grinding, then a little paint and on she went. had to bend the spray guard thats around the top and front of the sprocket out of the way as the 18t has a much larger dia than the stock 16t.

its not terrible on the street. i kinda like it actually, because i have an option of which gear to be in whereas with the 16t or 15t sprockets ive had one really let me know if i was in the wrong gear for the speed i was going.

with this new gear i decided to take the bike on the parkway for the first time. this is my first bike, so ive never ridden on a large highway before. there was a good amount of traffic, but i entered at just the right time where there was a large break. cracked it wide open in 4th till it wouldnt pull anymore, about 90. then the upshift to 5th, tuck in a little tighter aaaaaaaannnnd ..... 100 mph! I DID THE TON! FOR THE FIRST TIME! ON MY FIRST BIKE!

lots of fun, so i looped back and tried it again. too much traffic that time, but traffic was moving at 90, and i was almost comfortable riding with them. revs didnt seem to high either. i wouldnt have a problem just cruising at that speed for a decent trip. pretty happy about all this. :D

Re: '74 CB360 cafe/fighter-ish project - stretch

so I've been wanting to do this ever since i saw tattoodup's 360 build a year or two ago. I'm finally back to work and have some money so I figured this would be my winter modification. Ive been in touch with 2.3efi for a while regarding the 3" and 4" swing arm extensions he's been selling and installing for 360 arms, but wanted, well, more. on his latest run of extensions he made up a set of 6"-ers for me. I asked for a couple photos so i could post em. the pieces and craftsmanship look great. the extensions are 1/4" wall tubing with inserts. cant wait to get this thing on the bike. ;D

img5480r.jpg

img5489b.jpg

img5501zs.jpg

Hi haters! ;D

i'll brace it, calm down. looks good though.

with the shocks i have on there in the pics, which are 12.5 eye to eye, i cant use the side stand because its lowered soo much. Ive got a set of 14.5"s that ill throw on soon, though.

2012-03-01165230.jpg

2012-03-01165206.jpg

2012-03-01164959.jpg

2012-03-01164924.jpg

Back
Top Bottom