12 volt conversion, regulator issues.

ffjmoore

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
Background:
im doing a 12 volt conversion on my CB125. I have put in a stator from a cb350t, it is a 12v stator. I have also added a 12v rectifier off a cb350 and a 12v regulator off an unknown bike. I have also swapped in a regulator of a 750.

The problem:
With the regulator hooked up correctly Im only getting around 13v and when the head light is on it drops to the mid 12s. Also no mater what rpm im at the Volts stay the same. Now If I disconect the yellow wire from the regulator it behaves how it should. Ill get 14v at idle and the volts will increase to 14+ at 4-5k RPMs.

Can i run the regulator with just 2 wires? I dont think i should.
Any help would be awesome here.

Here is basically how my system is wired up.
CB200%20%20wiring%20diagram.jpg

Re: 12 volt conversion HELP, regulator issues.

No, you bond the wires together. For whatever reason, Honda decided to only use one white wire whilst the bike is running. The second wire is activated when the headlight is switched on. It's been a few years--so don't quote me--but from memory, I bonded all three wires--though I thought they were yellow.

--Chris

Ok so i removed the regulator totally and the volts climb to 14v. I measured the voltage coming from each leg of the stator and each one is putting out 7 volts. Im not sure where this leaves me at.

I bet it's the CB350 rectifier. Are you using that awkward orange one? From memory, those have a reputation of slowly tapering off their usefulness, so I bet the issue is there. I used a solid state rectifier on my CB350 build and it worked a treat. I forget where I got it at (Oregon something or another); it's the one people frequently use.

--Chris

I have one that just showed up in the mail today. Its not from Oregon electrics but its the same one they use. They charge $20 i got 2 for $11 shipped. The bike is running and the battery is staying charged so im going to ride it and see what happens long term. I have plans to either switch to a 12 volt coil or put a resistor in. I also should an electronic points setup coming soon i hope.

First electronic points for a CB125 i have heard of.
should be in the mail soon. And then on one of my bikes.
125plate.jpg

Hey ffjmoore, How did that 12 volt conversion work out on the CB 125 ? And how bout those electronic points ? I have a 1974 CB 125 I would like to convert to 12 volt myself. BTW I HAVE heard of putting the two stater wires together before, Like that other fella said

There are at least two issues there. First off a 750 regulator AFAIK turns the field coil on and off because it has a electro-magnet rotor. CB350 on the other hand uses a permanent magnet and the regulator is very different.

The second issue is lights on brings in that third set of charge coils. If you have the lights on all the time, you could just wire the Yellow and Y/W together so that you get full charge all the time.

Looks like a PAMCO ignition. Popular on XS650s and now available for certain Honda twins.

Yeah i got it all sorted out. I used the 350 regulator,one that wasnt broken, and now everything works just fine. That is a pamco, the first one made for a 125S. I ended up running it on my CL125 6v because the resistance on the coil was way off for the 12v bike. But i have put some resistors on the 12v bike coil and it should be fine to run the pamco but my points are working just fine. I rode the 12v bike for a while and then stripped it down to the frame and it is currently being put back together and waiting on the seat and tank at the painters.

I would just get a reg/rect off a CB/CM400/450 (or whatever bike your working on, Suzuki/Yam/etc so wire colours match)
Then wire it into alternator outputs
Just make sure you use PMS or EMS (permanent or electromagnetic)

Back
Top Bottom