1976 Honda CB360T - The first step is admitting I have a problem build

Well... if you have a bit of money to throw around you can always try this one:
http://www.probe-eng.com/servlet/the-17/Honda,-CB360,-CL360,-CJ360,/Detail

Fully programmable and digital. You get to lose the mechanical advancer as well as the points. Startup is done at 6° BTDC so it's easier to start and better to run.

Will a DYNA S for a Honda GL1000 work? They have been used for years on CB450s and they are a drop in mod on a CB160/175/200. I don't have a 360 top end to check, but I'm sure that would be an easy solution.

Well, I dug into the bike some more this afternoon, and found that all the tappets were backed almost all the way out. "That's weird," I thought, and set them back to stock-ish. Then I tried to rotate the motor, and it wouldn't. Yikes!

I pulled the rocker box off the head and was able to spin the motor over just fine. Huh. My Dad suggested checking to make sure none of the valves were stuck. Turns out the right intake valve is stuck in its seat (or in its guide, can't really tell right now).

We dug deeper into the motor, and now I'm having trouble getting the head loose from the cylinders. I've got the two bolts and eight acorn nuts removed, and have been carefully tapping with a dead blow hammer, but no luck yet. I don't want to mess up my pristine fins with an errant swing.

Does anyone have a good method for popping the head off these bikes? I already tried threading the spark plugs back in and using compression to pop it off, but no luck there either.

Blow torch will soften the gasket, followed by a few solid hits from a soft mallet.

Provided you are 100% certain that all the bolts are out, I've seen someone thread 14mm bolts through the plug holes and then rotate the engine to push the head off. Seemed risky to me, but that guy swore by it.

I ended up getting it off by very gently tapping a #2 Phillips screwdriver between the fins. That's the good news.

The bad news is that both intake valves are bent. I think someone really messed up the tappet adjustment, because the pistons are fine with no marks on them. That was probably the point where they threw down their wrench and walked away from this bike.

I tore down the heads and knocked the valves out of them, and other than the multi-piece valves (one of the valves had to be whacked a couple times to come out, and that broke the head of it off), the head looks ok.

I'm uploading pictures now...I'll post them shortly. Anyone have a spare set of valves? ;D

I have a spare set of valves, yeah. You want all four or just the intakes?
With a bent valve, it may be a good idea to check out your guides, too.

Sonreir said:
I have a spare set of valves, yeah. You want all four or just the intakes?
With a bent valve, it may be a good idea to check out your guides, too.

I'm thinking I should replace all four, and I will definitely check the guides. I'd definitely be interested in your set of valves - what are you looking to get for them? Also, I have some CB350 parts, and early SOHC and late 70's DOHC CB750 carbs, as well as '79-'80 CB650 carbs if you're looking for any parts.

Thanks!

Here's the pictures:

utJkf.jpg

G7bXk.jpg

plKuX.jpg

GIJZT.jpg

uWy36.jpg

KXNeY.jpg

hCH6T.jpg

53LLC.jpg

ZIPAB.jpg

JiBQr.jpg

v6fGl.jpg

$50 for all four would be fine by me. I'll pay for priority shipping out of that, too. PM me if interested.

crazypj said:
Vavles hit pistons, you can see the line of contact

I don't see any damage to the pistons, so I think it was a low speed collision (read, not running). I can't tell if the cam chain jumped or if someone just really messed up the tappet adjustment. I'm thinking it was the tappet adjustment. What do you think?

In any case, my brother just told me if I don't pull the motor and overhaul it, he's going to have it out of the bike and sitting inside by morning ;D I've got the gasket and seal kits, and piston rings are the only other consumable I haven't purchased yet, and may not need.

Pistons don't often get damage in that type of contact. Valves will go first.

And tappet adjust would have to be WAY out for that to happen. My vote is that cam chain wasn't on correctly when the engine was reassembled.

Matt is right. The cam timing is a mile out. The PO seems to have backed off the tappets to allow the motor to turn over after he mis-assembled it.

Well damn, I'm starting to think that this bike wasn't only ridden on Sundays by a little old lady to and from church! ;D

I went through the timing procedure in the factory service manual, and it looks pretty straightforward. Any gotchas that could have lead to this kind of a mess?

Matt's sending out those valves to me - thanks Matt, hopefully that will be about the last of the parts!

Yep, it's real common if you don't pull front run of chain tight when timing cam and then check before fitting rocker cover.
I've been through it before with a couple of people ;)

I'll remember that when I reinstall the cam. I imagine that it would be a good idea to spin the motor over a few times before installing the rocker cover to make sure everything still lines up, huh?

Ugh... I can't find the valves. I think I may have sold them already. I've issued the refund through paypal already. Sorry for the wild goose chase. :(

Sonreir said:
Ugh... I can't find the valves. I think I may have sold them already. I've issued the refund through paypal already. Sorry for the wild goose chase. :(

Got the refund, and eh, shit happens. I just realized that the valves are the same as CB350 valves, and I sold a CB350 head with valves just a couple of months ago. Arrggg!

Anyone else have any spare valves?

Ok, I've got a spare 360 head and a pair of intake valves on their way to me, so that should allow me to get the bike up and running with the new head and take my time rebuilding the spare. Now it's hurry up and wait for the US Mail time, but I still need to pull the motor and crack the case to see why the transmission isn't shifting out of neutral. My money's on messed up shift fork (huh, I typed that "shit fork" the first time, may be accurate!), but we will see.

This arrived yesterday though:

DJSoR.jpg

hvpz1.jpg

This was the last headlight related piece I needed, so I can get that stuff bolted up to see how it fits.

Back
Top Bottom