Building a seat/cowl on the OEM seat pan (CB350)

Knoxes

I'm struggling trying to figure out if it's possible/logical to build a cowling on the OEM seat pan and I'm looking for info from anyone that has actually done it. I'm using this bike as inspiration:

The article with this pic quoted the owner saying that the seat and cowling were built over the existing pan. I'm mocking it up, but the seat pan, particularly in the rear, looks too wide to get the proportions to match this image.

Attachments

• honda_cl350_cafe_racer (1).jpg
    honda_cl350_cafe_racer (1).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 614
You'd likely have to trim the OEM pan to get a more low profile look. The original pans were designed to wrap around the frame rails so the seat covered the upper rail.

I did it on the GS550 I had a few years ago. Worked out OK but you get the most bang for your buck just from shaving the foam and recovering.

OK - I'm finally starting to find the right keywords to turn up some old posts on various forums about this. And I think you're right - it won't work with the existing seat pan. I'm not willing to cut the frame, so I think the seat pan will have to go entirely (don't want to cut that either).

Now I have to figure out how to work around that vertical hoop on the rear of the frame.

Well, I had totally forgotten about this thread but found it while searching for "original seat pan". The good news is that it's possible to build a beautiful cowling on the OEM seat pan. But now I'm trying to figure out how to foam up a seat. I've shot a layer of Great Stuff on there and plan on trimming it down to get a flat, even surface since the OEM pan has so much lows and highs. I'm going to layer roll foam on top of the GS to build up a base. If there's a better way of doing this, I'm all ears.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 216
Back
Top Bottom