1971 CB450 Lube and twist

Andle

Beer!
Lube and twist is all I am planning to do and this beast will run again.
Purchased with no key, no title, and not running.... Paid, more than I will ever admit.
I sold my 2005 Yamaha FZ6 over the summer and made a nice profit even after owning it for 2 years. After that my wife had a kid which changed my cycle funds intentions. Thus I ended up with this 1971 CB450. I have always loved old Hondas. Growing up on 1969-1971 z50s probably had something to do with that. On to a photo or two.

This will be a thread to keep record of my progress from restoration to customization. If I get that far.
CIMG2619.jpg

Looks good so far. Cleaned the petcock out, carb bowls, filters etc.
CIMG2621.jpg

Electrolysis currently doing its job. Nothing major but enough surface rust. Ordering parts to get her running, small order.
On a side note, 1973 CB175 less than 900 miles. My dad recently picked it up.
CIMG2609.jpg

Flugtechnik said:
Nice. I predict it won't stay stock for long.

I agree, its not perfect enough to just restore. Not sure exactly what I want to build though.

At this point I will get it running, then re-evaluate the situation.

I used oxiclean instead of washing soda in the electrolysis solution. It has the same key ingredient and for some reason none of the 4 stores I went to yesterday had washing soda. It was a foamy mess but when I checked it this morning it was doing its job.

Last night in a drunken stooper I ordered the POR15 starter kit, a key, new plug caps and some fuel line. I am praying the carbs will work without me having to rebuild them. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Well not totally bike related but I built myself a nice large work bench. 14 feet long!!! Should be much better than the old desk I was working with.
CIMG2625.jpg

Also finished the electrolysis, shook a bunch of screws around in the tank like a mad man and it is basically rust free. The POR15 kit should be here any time so I will seal the tank up. Then its just a battery and I should be running. Here is my sweet tank drying setup. Seems to be working.
CIMG2626.jpg

Hold da fone!You say your wife had a kid like you had no part of it.If it's not yours,I wouldn't worry about loosing bike money.

_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
__
_
_
_
_
__
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
baby_sticking_out_tongue_fan2008439.jpg

Nice ride tho.Looks like an easy winter project. ;D

Touche sir!
I had a major part in the kid. I really wish getting prego would have taken longer though..... ;D

All my parts are here, just need to charge the battery, seal the tank, and turn it over. Should be able to finish all that by weeks end.

Been a while... I don't think this bike is going to be a resto, probably going more towards a tracker look.

I got the bike running, not very well thought. Rebuilt the carbs and found bugs, bugs, and more bugs stuck everywhere. I have started polishing a few bits and pieces as well.

Carb tops before and after
Carbcap.jpg

I made the mistake of sanding the rear brake with 220 grit sand paper. Left some pretty nasty scratches all over it. Not really interested in sanding it even more so I will go buy some black compound and another polishing wheel. Hopefully that will help me cut through my mistake? Bad photo and no before, but its cleaner ;D
Rearbrake.jpg

At this point I have been using brown compound to polish. It worked well on the carb tops but is no getting rid of my scratches problem very well. Any tips/pointers on polishing all this aluminum?

I am thinking about going with Bridgestone S11 spitfire white letters for my tires. Anyone know if a 120/90-18 is going to have fitment issues with a stock CB450 rear? The tires on the bike right now are 4.0-18 rear, 3.25-19 front.

Thanks!!

Thanks Guys,

Questions: Are the cases on the motor clear coated from the factory? Been polishing the points cover and cant seem to get it as shinny as I like. Maybe im grinding through clear coat on my way to a nice shinny glow?
Motorwithcircles.jpg

LeftCap.jpg

Second, what is this adjustment nut/rod for? Took this cover off and got more than I bargained for. I got a good idea of the position it was in when I took it off so not to worried.
RightCoverCircle.jpg

Thanks!

They are clear coated, and those are the valve adjuster nuts. The valves will need timed now for sure, but they needed it anyway.

Kanticoy said:
They are clear coated, and those are the valve adjuster nuts. The valves will need timed now for sure, but they needed it anyway.

Looks like timing the valves is an easy process.

I will be on my way to the parts store for paint stripper tomorrow.

Thank you!

When you can, find yourself a Honda Shop manual for your bike. It will save you a lot of headache (it did for me ;D)

p.s. Your dad scored a BEAUTIFUL bike...That things looks like it is it awesome condition.

I know I should buy one but am to cheap. Can usually find out what is needed from the net.

Yes that 175 my dad got is beautiful. Only 1 dent in the front fender otherwise perfect condition.

Nothing new to report on at this moment.

Thanks!
Andle

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_ZumJE59-T4YjUwNjllMjgtZDNlYi00ZTcxLTgyNDEtZmIxOTlmM2ZlNTZl&hl=en_US

That should be what you need...

Back
Top Bottom