CB450 won’t start with kick (but electric works)

For the kick start issue, have you double-checked your ignition timing using a strobe light?

For the neutral light, sounds like you still have some wiring issues. Power for the ignition coils should be on the black/white wire and power for the neutral light should be coming from a solid black.

The old kick start GL100 GoldWings were awful to kick start unless you knew the trick, which was to have a jumper wire to bypass the ballast resistor. Use socket type connectors to the resistor and plugs on the jumper so you can pull it off once started. Or, have someone hole the start button while you kick as this also bypassed the ballast resistor.

No ballast resistor on the 450s. The early 'wings and the XS1100 are the only models I know that used that God-awful setup.

Sonreir said:
For the kick start issue, have you double-checked your ignition timing using a strobe light?

For the neutral light, sounds like you still have some wiring issues. Power for the ignition coils should be on the black/white wire and power for the neutral light should be coming from a solid black.

Yup the timing is set perfectly with a timing gun (and have a Pamco system on there).

Ok I’ll check to see if the black-white wire from the switch is connected to the coils... Should it be one wire that splits off to both coils?

Hmm ok no ballast resistor indeed. Are there any other mods to juice up the kick starter?

(I feel like my e-start is slowly going on the fritz... It would be nice to have the kick start option if/when needed).

redrover said:
Yup the timing is set perfectly with a timing gun (and have a Pamco system on there).

Ok I’ll check to see if the black-white wire from the switch is connected to the coils... Should it be one wire that splits off to both coils?

Yes, that's correct. There will be a wire in the headlight bucket where it connects to the right switch gear. It comes out of the harness again near the coils and each coil gets plugged into it.

That's largely academic, as far as the starting is concerned, however. If it'll start with the starter button but not the kicker, then the problem isn't power to the coils.

Back
Top Bottom