Rookie Yamaha R5 engine rebuild

Ok so I got started on the motor again and got stuck. I am not sure what they are called but I don't know how to get out the rods in the picture, if someone could let me know how to get them out that would be great.

Attachments

• download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 164
Those appear to be the tranny forks and yes after you take te clips off (there may be some clips inside the case and some outside) they should just slide right out.

I know this isn't on the topic of the thread I started but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I would have to do to move the pegs with the controls back to the rear pegs?

You can't use the stock pegs as rearsets. You'll need to buy/fabricate a set or adapt a set from a modern bike. Yamaha FZR rearsets are really easy to make work and can usually be had pretty cheap. There are a ton of threads on here that go into detail on how to do it, no matter what route you choose.

Ok thanks. Another question is do you have to prime (paint) the engine before I put the color on it? Also would this http://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318/DE1644/10002/-1 kind of paint work on the engine?

Yes, that paint Will work. Check the can for specific directions as far as priming. One thing you need to remember though, is that you need to clean the parts you plan on painting VERY well. That aluminium is porous and has been covered in road grime, oil, gasoline and who knows what else for decades. Youll need a heavy duty degreaser at minimum. Some guys use oven cleaner, but unless you have a spare oven behind the garage to bake the parts in that's a no go.

Media blasting removes external funk. To remove the oils and grease that's INSIDE the motor you need heat and chemicals. There's a few write ups here on DTT about how to do it right.

Sorry... Poor word choice. I mean IN the metal. Aluminum is porous, meaning that it absorbs oils and dirt. You can media blast the exterior layers of crap off, but there is still all that nastiness inside the metal itself. If you lay paint over it, eventually the oil and dirt will force the paint to peel and flake off.

Back
Top Bottom