RD Motor Pull-Torques needed

For what it's worth...

No LocTite on head bolts, or any orhers that require specific and accurate torque numbers.

But, things like motor mount bolts and the like; I like the added insurance. Overtightening is an obvious no no but I think that should be common sense at this point.

there is maybe 5 or 6 guys on this site that have spent more time inside of engines than me and one of those guys said the same thing i did. its not worth fighting over sugar

Hey guys I have a question. After you give me an answer I disagree with I'm going to make fun of you.

Rich Ard said:
Hey guys I have a question. After you give me an answer I disagree with I'm going to make fun of you.

What's the question? That's not a question :) It has been a long day....

Oh I get it. It was to demonstrate poor use of the English language. Doh....... :-(

bradj said:
Replace the outter crank seals and the gear box seals the center crank seal is most likely fine torque the 8 stubs for the head and the case according to the manual the iirc it should be in the 15 ta 18 range eather way clean the threads first and use a very very lite coat of 2stroke oil on them just make sure the case surfaces are cleaned & glues correctly

i´m going to do exactly that.
splitting the cases just a crack to put the new in and old out.
how do i go about when i reconnect the cases...clean the edge of the case,ungrease and put tribond on it?

is there a possibility to remove the nut from the primary without an impact gun?how much does this nut be retorqued?
the clutch is also held by a big nut...do i need an impact gun?

these are pics from sonics engine rebuild:

are the side cases just tribonded or are there seals to be replaced when i remove clutch cover,generator cover etc...

thanks!

Attachments

• null_zps7a042a24.jpg
    null_zps7a042a24.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 400
  • null_zps0d8c0e7c.jpg
    null_zps0d8c0e7c.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 432
You gotta split them all the way there is three separate sections that need glued or gear oil will leak in to your fuel mixture after the cases are split take the crank to someone with a impact

bradj said:
You gotta split them all the way there is three separate sections that need glued or gear oil will leak in to your fuel mixture after the cases are split take the crank to someone with a impact

all right im gonna split them all the way.is red tribond ok?
what torques do the bunch of nuts need that hold the top of the case?

As Brad mentioned, Open it all up and clean and then clean some more. The surface where the two halves of the crankcases meet must be spotless. Use gray three bond sparingly.

Do you have a manual?

Honestly not trying to be a jerk, but most of these questions would be at your fingertips if you picked up a $20 manual. Makes your life way simpler.

AW: RD Motor Pull-Torques needed

got the manual.

torques and precise stuff isnt really in there....thats why im so thankful for your help!

nevermind....im just astonished how much knowledge and wisdom lies in this forum...

not trying to be cheesy..

teazer said:
No anti seize with normal nuts and no loctite either. We always oil the threads on everything sand then tighten to the correct torque. You will be surprised how little torque it takes to tighten things - including head sleeve nuts. More is rarely better and with fasteners that holds true (pun intended).

You will be hard pressed to get better advise than the above. That said, I use blue loctite quite a bit but often as much to help keep out corrosion as for vibration. Hardly anything on an RD (most 2 T's in fact) gets very tight. If you used a 1/4 " rachet and held just the head to tighten, the average guy could likely overtorque most every fastener on the engine. The big nuts on the crank and trans shafts will be pretty hard to remove without an impact now that you have the cases apart. They don't really get that much torque either, just enough to flatten out the (bellville?) washers which work like a spring to keep tension on the parts.
The most important fasteners on the motor to do right are the head fasteners. Totally stock engines are ridiculously prone to head gasket leaking because even a little too tight on the head nuts bends the head enough to make it not seal. A lot of guys mill the top of the cylinder flat to remove the flange that locates the 350 head gasket so they can use 400 gaskets which greatly solves this .Take out all the studs, clean them, and blue loctite them into the case. It would not hurt to do the case studs too while you are at it, 'cause you can really do a good job cleaning the case and cylinder surfaces when the studs are out. Make sure the threads are flawless, tighten in stages, and don't over tighten, not even a little. I install mine with copper gasket spray which definitely helps. And follow XB's advise on re-torquing.

This is what I show for torques:

6mm case bolts: 1kg-m or 90in/lbs
8mm case nuts and 8mm head nuts: 2 kg-m or 180 in/lbs

No specs given in the original factory Yamaha manual for the big crank and trans nuts. For what it's worth, I put a small drop of blue loctite on operating room clean parts that test assemble smoothly, and lightly use an impact just enough to flatten the washers. About the same for the sprocket nut with the bend over lock tab. As an alternative, you can put a rag (Yamaha's official recommendation) between the crank and clutch gears to jam them and use a ratchet for the crank, but you need a special tool to keep the clutch basket from turning. You can make one, but it is fairly easy to break the basket if you don't make a half decent one.

thank you for the support!

is it recommended to clean the inside of the case...i mean the crank et cetera...if yes what do you use?

i guess using just simple oil to clean it would be best.

do you put the sealant on both of the cases before you put them back together?

I cleaned everything with a good degreaser. ID Red from Zep. Hard to find outside of large industrial size orders. Something like Simple Green works really well. Just xheck to make sure that what you ise won't react with aluminum. As Teazer stated, once you think it's all clean, do it again.

As far as the adhesive for the cases, follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter and youll be fine. Remember though, like Brad said, you need to seal the outside of the cases AS WELL AS the wall between the crank case and transmission. Be very careful not to use too much and if for some reason you end up getting sealant anywhere other than the mating surfaces CLEAN IT ALL OFF. Once it hardens you do not want bits of that floating around.

Wash everthing in kerosene to get rid of teh oil and debris and then let the crank and transmission shafts drain and then wipe them clean and oil them and put them into plastic bags while you finish work on the cases. Clean all signs of old gasket or sealant off the cases, clean out every thread and lightly countersing all teh bolt holes to remove any high spots where threads pull up.

If you have a long smooth (fine) flat file, you can lightly drawfile each mating face. Use lots of WD40 to keep it lubed and only a very light very flat touch. You are trying to find and remove high sports not file it down to a smaller size.

Then wash the cases with degreaser followed by washing up liquid and a Scotchbrite type scourer on external surfaces. Then rinse it off twice and dry them off. You can always use Scothbrite and WD40 on the external surfaces to remove stains.

When you are ready to assemble teh case halves, clean mating faces with alcohol or acetone and wipe dry with a clean lint free rag before applying a thin layer of three bond to ONE surface.

today i finally had time to pull the top end...long way to do the low end!

Attachments

• K1600_IMG_2629.JPG
    K1600_IMG_2629.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 145
  • K1600_IMG_2630.JPG
    K1600_IMG_2630.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 152
  • K1600_IMG_2631.JPG
    K1600_IMG_2631.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 149
  • K1600_IMG_2632.JPG
    K1600_IMG_2632.JPG