Xs750 engine build - 896cc big bore.

datadavid said:
That double slotted middle gear... think i only got the early single slotted ones.. might be good as I'm aiming for 80 something rwhp

I would take $50 for everything in that picture, depending on where you live I may even include shipping with that.

So i had the good long talk to the engine builder... turns out resleeving is way too costly to be motivated. So i need 850 cyls before work can begin :/
Anyway, crank was left for balancing. And reprofiling cams i need your help with focusinprogress, web cams needed cores for the job!
The Primary axle he considered was scrap so i'm going to need that as well..
Do your primary chain have some miles on it? Cause i have a few used ones myself, and shipping to sweden isnt exactly free..!

datadavid said:
So i had the good long talk to the engine builder... turns out resleeving is way too costly to be motivated. So i need 850 cyls before work can begin :/
Anyway, crank was left for balancing. And reprofiling cams i need your help with focusinprogress, web cams needed cores for the job!
The Primary axle he considered was scrap so i'm going to need that as well..
Do your primary chain have some miles on it? Cause i have a few used ones myself, and shipping to sweden isnt exactly free..!

I think my primary chain has about 19k miles on it, that's what was on the odo from the bike the motor was from. shucks, out of all my triples none of my 850's were parts bikes so I don't have liners I can provide. I'll see if I can track some down for you, might be cheapest for a set from ebay to make it's way to me, then all the parts I have that you need can go in one box with liners and head to you.....$75 for cams and everything from that last picture sound fair? I'll see if that stuff together is under 20lbs to ship flat-rate with USPS.

75$ is a nice price my generous benefactor, problem is cams still need to go by Web for grinding, and if im changing liners its still gonna be too many manhours for my builder to give a decent price for the job. If i had unlimited amounts of time i could just turn some liners in the lathe at work..

datadavid said:
75$ is a nice price my generous benefactor, problem is cams still need to go by Web for grinding, and if im changing liners its still gonna be too many manhours for my builder to give a decent price for the job. If i had unlimited amounts of time i could just turn some liners in the lathe at work..

if web would let me send the cams on your behalf to them, followed by them sending them to you....let me know and we'll get it all worked out. I have a contact that may have a set of 850 liners I will email and see what he says.

Put in several orders of parts for the engine build these last few days, and got some vital stuff from focusinprogress (hats off)
So with a bit of luck engine work starts in a couple of weeks.. fingers crossed!

Picked up parts from focusinprogress today! Plus 850 cylinders.. so now the bottom end can be prepared for assembly.. !

datadavid said:
Picked up parts from focusinprogress today! Plus 850 cylinders.. so now the bottom end can be prepared for assembly.. !

excellent!

take lots of pics!

Will definitely try to keep up with the pics! Starting off with welding up a cracked fin in the cylinders at work this week. Got som nice expensive ac tigs here that i dont even know how to program..

Getting the cylinders to the engine guy tomorrow after work, and i will get the engine case sandblasted while i wait for the cylinders to be done. Also decided to wait with hot cams til later, haven't worked out how to dial them in yet. And assembling this thing before spring will be a handful anyway..

Got the cases back, plastic bead blasting left the raw cast finish, absolutely beautiful in my eyes! Will tro to take a pic this weekend and start flushing and cleaning it out pre-assembly..

So, time to get on with this thing..

Thorough cleaning on the agenda, then the gearbox goes in, after that I'll have to wait for the crank, cylinders and head to come back from the workshop..

So i did not really follow through on this engine build thread, but the engine is installed, charging and spark is hooked up and it pulls very hard. Clutch drag is the first issue to adress, second is it wont shift through the gears under load.
Somehow i think they are connected, and probably minor adjustment issues.
Goes through the gears fine with the engine off just rolling it around..
However the engine is mechanically very quiet, oil pressure is at some 60 psi off idle and up, so i think i did well with this being my third complete engine build..

if your clutch lever only has around 1/2" of travel before it begins to engage the clutch, and the clutch drags, it is the plates or something flexing in the system . . different engine oil may reduce the drag slightly.

dragging plates can make it harder to shift.

Back
Top Bottom