1977 Cb550f blue smoke

Buy this, have a proper motorcycle machine shop fit it and reassemble.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-CB-500-Engine-Rebuild-Big-Bore-Performance-Kit-MC-Supply-Company-/221682063800?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item339d47d9b8&vxp=mtr

I've used these kits on 550's before. Works out to around 0.5mm over if I recall.

Just got the sleeves back from the local Honda dealership, all sleeves are within spec and look great, he went ahead and ran a good cross hatch for free since I dropped the heads off to get the guides replaced. I'll order standard size rings tonight and hopefully have everything back in by next weekend!

Probably too late, but stock bore is 58.5mm, 58.6mm is the service limit before needing re-bore.

That kit that Tim posted the link to are great, I got one after Tim kindly offered me some info & experience. I haven't actually run the motor yet, but everything was great quality - my machinist said the pistons were within a bee's dick of one another. They take the bore +0.5mm to 59mm.

Gotcha, that's good info.

The mechanic at the dealership found the stock size in the service manual and all of the sleeves were within the range they need to be, he said they were almost dead on stock size.

So unless there's some overriding reason to bore it out, I would like to keep it stock size and everything.

For the power man! Overbore the hell out of it!

Good to hear all the cylinders are in spec.

How did the vavle stem seals look?

I didn't have the tool needed to compress the springs and autozone didn't have them, so I just dropped the head off at the local Honda place for them to take care of, but I'd assume cracked and what not. I'll see on Monday

you need to check the guides,stems and seats valve sealing etc... don't just put new seals in,do it right the first time it sucks doing it twice

They are lapping them as well so I would assume that would be part of the process, if not I can call first thing tomorrow and make sure all of that is gone over. I'm not the most familiar with valves so I'll trust yall.

Leetillman351 said:
They are lapping them as well so I would assume that would be part of the process, if not I can call first thing tomorrow and make sure all of that is gone over. I'm not the most familiar with valves so I'll trust yall.
thats is good, ;) sounds like thay are an experieced lot

Looks to me from the clean ring around the edge of the piston top that the oil rings are done.Interesting how they can decide the cylinders are within spec before they honed them?

Motorguy, I'm confused as to what you are asking. They measured the sleeves and determined they were in spec, so they honed them and after they were still in spec.

Leetillman351 said:
So unless there's some overriding reason to bore it out, I would like to keep it stock size and everything.

If it's still in spec, no reason not to run it as is. You can always overbore later, this way you'll get more life out of your engine. Check that your ring end gap is in spec too.
A hotter camshaft & some porting work on the head could result in some more HP, at the least, check to make sure the intake runners and head match and have a smooth transition, often they don't.

Yeah, sometimes there is ledge where the intake manifold meets the head, which will effect the fuel & air being sucked in.

There is often some pretty rough casting marks too, which can be beneficial to smooth out somewhat, but either take it to someone who know what they're doing, or read up on it properly first.

Attachments

• IMG_1092_zps36441ff6.jpg
    IMG_1092_zps36441ff6.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 204
Ah I gotcha. My brother used to port and polish heads and sell them over in the UK, so I'll talk to him about it and see what he thinks!

So I made an oopsie, ordered these rings because the bore was I. Spec and everything was good. However I forgot to gap the rings correctly. I cannot physically feel anything when I scrape my nail across the surface, so I'm hoping it's just very minimal.

Pull the jug, have them rehoned and gapped by a machine shop? Put the head on a run it? What should I do? It's on all cylinders

http://m.ebay.com/itm/381166646398

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 200
Back
Top Bottom