No power above half throttle

You're running pod filters right? Maybe you need to go up a couple of sizes on the main jets.

Jayowen said:
So still having trouble getting 1-4 advance. 2-3 is flawless with timing light. Checked float height and it was way off. Like 30+mm. So with that it runs better but still sputters around 3-4 to full throttle.

You have either worn out points or timing wrong on 1.4
It isn't possible for 2.3 to work without 1.4 working
Depending on the year, it can be quite difficult to get carburation right on CB550 with cheap 'pods' (or K&N)
You will need around 110~115 main jets and drop needle to 2nd from top

swapped out my 98 mains for 105's and its running amazingly!!! plug chops even look good. i swapped out the points and did static timing will do dynamic timing tomorrow and see if all is well there.

ya went on a 15+ min ride around town. good power. and pulled plugs after WOT pull and they looked great. nice tan in color

my ride the other day was riding fast everywhere. now i took it around town in traffic and plugs fouled on me. seems a bit rich down at idle or low throttle.

You probably need to need to drop the jet needles a notch, but it would be a good idea to adjust your idle mix screws first to see if that helps.

What main jets are in it?
Depending on exhaust, could need anywhere from 112.5 to 122.5

It's a 4into1 header with a supertrapp muffler. PO put it on. I have larger jets in the mail coming.

clean the super trap discS !!! they can get plugged up with carbon and packing that has blown out.....it will be pretty obvious upon inspection if they were plugging up
while yer in there make sure the perferated core is wrapped/packed properly, not blown out

Jayowen said:
Moved the clip up one spot and it's running lean backfiring out of carbs and no power

Remember...you put bigger mains in it too. Put the needle down one notch, in other words put the clip up one.
Now I see you are running a Supertrap muffler too...they are adjustable for backpressure. More plates = less backpressure. Increasing back pressure will have the effect of making the bike run rich, decreasing it will lean it out, but this effect is mostly felt at the higher throttle openings. Clean the plates as per xb33bsa recommended and if as you said, it seems to run well at higher speeds, then I would leave the muffler alone and play with the carb settings until it runs like it should.
Be patient, this sort of thing almost never gets sorted out right away, getting it right may take you half the summer. (FYI you might want to check for worn needle jets). Keep at it and keep us posted, you WILL get it right after a while.

I had to inrease float height 1.5mm to lean things out with 'correct' main jets fitted.
With 591 conversion and 'some work' it was still good for around 130mph set up for 'touring'
my550in1981.jpg

so i bumped main up to 110 and it pulls like crazy at WOT now. but after about 10-15 mins of normal riding it starts to blubber in midrange up and have no power up top again. dang this is frustrating. pulled plugs and they look good to me

Did you clean the hell out of that pilot before you pressed it back in the carb? Might run a guitar string through those small emulsion holes and make sure they're clear. Have patience, you'll get it

You aren't riding with the choke on are you?

"You aren't riding with the choke on are you?"

That was what i was thinking, things shunt change that much after warm up unless the tank screen is plugged or the floats are sticking.

bike will barely run with choke on at all once it starts it needs constant throttle. cleaned the pilots a few weeks ago when i started the jetting process. ill clean them again tomorrow. could they be too small/lean? i didnt bump them up a size while mains went from 98 up to 110.

Back
Top Bottom