Six-speed CL100?

iatethepeach

Coast to Coast
After putting some highway miles on the scrambler yesterday, I'm less than happy with the gearing. 1st is too tall for some of the trails I'll ride regularly (cabin driveway), and 5th doesn't feel tall enough. I don't know much about transmissions or re-gearing, so maybe this is a naive question, but would it be possible to install the six-speed gear set from a '79 XL125 in my CL? I have access to a machine shop. Or, if installing the six-speed is impractical, is there a compatible wider-ratio five-speed I can use?

Why not just put the XL motor in the 100 frame. That would be easier than swapping a transmission and you get an extra 25cc

Bert Jan said:
Its 100cc. Buy a hayabusa if you want to go fast.

It's 99 cc. I'll strap 350 lbs of weight plates to the back of the Scrambler if I want a heavy bike like a 'Busa.

CALfeRacer said:
Why not just put the XL motor in the 100 frame. That would be easier than swapping a transmission and you get an extra 25cc

That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure the '79 XL motor would like the '70 CL pipe. What do you think?

iatethepeach said:
It's 99 cc. I'll strap 350 lbs of weight plates to the back of the Scrambler if I want a heavy bike like a 'Busa.

That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure the '79 XL motor would like the '70 CL pipe. What do you think?

I bet they would get along just fine together. Not like youre trying to bolt a 100 header to a Hayabusa or anything.
BTW a saw a later xl125 had a 12v system.

100 pipe won't work on the 125. Header diameters are different. I just welded the end of the 125 pipe on to a 100 header though, and it's worked so far.

Great tips, guys- thanks. Considering my bike's motor is so far running smooth, I probably won't do a swap, but I'll keep this in mind if things go pear-shaped.

Yup. Don't forget that xl and xr motors up to the 200 are pretty much a direct swap. I believe the only differences are the top mounting brackets

i would do a compression test . . if it is around 140 or less, you will benefit from increasing it to around 170 . . this will give you a little more power everywhere which will compensate slightly for the high first and low 5th.

You might also be able to alter the ignition advance on it a little to get more power and peak rpm.

barnett468 said:
i would do a compression test . . if it is around 140 or less, you will benefit from increasing it to around 170

Thanks for pointing this out. Compression is 130 psi. I haven't adjusted the tappets- I don't know what change to expect on a motor with only 5K miles, but I suppose I should do that first, then test compression again. Do all other options involve removing the head?

barnett468 said:
You might also be able to alter the ignition advance on it a little to get more power and peak rpm.

I'll try this but I may wait until after I get the basics sorted out- thanks.

Knowing the XL's not the CL's, I expect it would work. They utilized exactly the same cases even though they changed the gearing in '76. I'm running '78 in my '73.

iatethepeach said:
After putting some highway miles on the scrambler yesterday, I'm less than happy with the gearing. 1st is too tall for some of the trails I'll ride regularly (cabin driveway), and 5th doesn't feel tall enough. I don't know much about transmissions or re-gearing, so maybe this is a naive question, but would it be possible to install the six-speed gear set from a '79 XL125 in my CL? I have access to a machine shop. Or, if installing the six-speed is impractical, is there a compatible wider-ratio five-speed I can use?
First gear too low+ fifth gear too high= Dude you have a 5 hp engine. What were you expecting.

Play with the timing too much on this engine and it WILL make you pay. Set it to factory and accept your 5hp.

DohcBikes said:
First gear too low+ fifth gear too high= Dude you have a 5 hp engine. What were you expecting.
Ha. Like I say with my XL175, 0 - 60 in 3 miles.

You were expecting less, got more, and still arent satisfied.
Things are so much more clear to me now.

A six speed transmission will not help your issues in any way. Keep those hands warm.

I say it because it is true.

Please explain how you think a six speed will help the issues you are experiencing.

This sums up the issues I am experiencing:

iatethepeach said:
After putting some highway miles on the scrambler yesterday, I'm less than happy with the gearing. 1st is too tall for some of the trails I'll ride regularly (cabin driveway), and 5th doesn't feel tall enough.

I think it's more that a different set of ratios (which a six speed would give) is what the advantage is. In theory a 5 speed with different gearing could fix this. Maybe the CB had different ratios because it was marketed as a street bike? Not sure, but it would be interesting to check.
And these motors make a bit more than 5hp... Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom