Six-speed CL100?

CALfeRacer said:
I think it's more that a different set of ratios (which a six speed would give) is what the advantage is. In theory a 5 speed with different gearing could fix this. Maybe the CB had different ratios because it was marketed as a street bike? Not sure, but it would be interesting to check.
And these motors make a bit more than 5hp... Just saying.
Oh reaallly? Tell me all about it them please. I must have learned nothing by building over 20 of them.

CALfeRacer said:
In theory a 5 speed with different gearing could fix this. Maybe the CB had different ratios because it was marketed as a street bike? Not sure, but it would be interesting to check.

Yeah, a wider-ratio five would be nice to try, too.

DohcBikes said:
I must have learned nothing by building over 20 of them.
Clearly not
And it's an interesting discussion if anything, so I don't see the harm in talking about it.

iatethepeach said:
Wish I could just tell you the ratios, but I didn't count when doing my motor and don't really have any desire to split it open again

iatethepeach said:
Still haven't explained why. According to your own description, your ratio is already too wide for the power you have.

CALfeRacer said:
Clearly not
And it's an interesting discussion if anything, so I don't see the harm in talking about it.
Please tell me how much power you think this engine produces.

11 claimed hp at the crank. Brand new. And trust me, that is very overrated. If you think your bike is putting down more than 5 on the ground you are just wrong.

This thread is really stupid. You have a tiny bike that is underpowered. It is what it is. If you wanna change it you'll have to get a bigger bike.

I've been going with the Honda claimed 11 (since I haven't put one on a dyno to prove otherwise)
I did forget that they had a 5hp version for new riders also.

DohcBikes said:
I didn't ask what the issue was. I can read.

I asked why you think a six speed will fix it.

A six-speed (or wider-ratio five) would allow for a lower 1st without affecting the top-gear ratio. Or a taller top-gear without lowering 1st. Or a lower first and a taller top-gear. The penalty of extra shifts is OK by me.

Clearly all 11 isn't going to the ground. I'm aware drivetrain loss is a thing. How do you know it's so grossly overrated?

iatethepeach said:
A six-speed (or wider-ratio five) would allow for a lower 1st without affecting the top-gear ratio. Or a taller top-gear without lowering 1st. Or a lower first and a taller top-gear. The penalty of extra shifts is OK by me.
Well by god that sounds ideal doesnt it. Tell me again what your ratios are for each gear.

DohcBikes said:
According to your own description, your ratio is already too wide for the power you have.

No, it's too narrow. The problem isn't between gears. It's at the top and bottom gears.

CALfeRacer said:
Clearly all 11 isn't going to the ground. I'm aware drivetrain loss is a thing. How do you know it's so grossly overrated?
Because unlike you, I do have plenty of experience with these bikes.

iatethepeach said:
No, it's too narrow. The problem isn't between gears. It's at the top and bottom gears.
You are double talking. Perhaps your lack of understanding is creating a rift in our communication.

DohcBikes said:
Please tell me how much power you think this engine produces.

11 claimed hp at the crank. Brand new. And trust me, that is very overrated. If you think your bike is putting down more than 5 on the ground you are just wrong.

This thread is really stupid. You have a tiny bike that is underpowered. It is what it is. If you wanna change it you'll have to get a bigger bike.

Calm down, dude. You misunderstand and as a result you're focusing on a red herring. Yes, the bike is underpowered. I'm not hoping to drag race Justin Beiber with it. I don't even need it to go any faster, though having ridden it, I can say it certainly could with a taller top gear. I'd like to lower first as much as raising fifth. Sprockets were available from Honda (maybe still are) to raise and lower the gearing- they're on the parts fiche. I don't want to do that, though. I want a lower first, a taller top-gear, or maybe both.

Actually, your comment that a different five speed would help the issue as much was spot on. One of the best comments in the thread.

Iatethepeach, stop saying "taller". It means nothing and only muddies the water when talking about gear ratios.
If you want technical answers you have to ask technical questions. To completely avoid any confusion the correct terminology would be "numerically higher" or 'numerically lower'.

DohcBikes said:
Actually, your comment that a different five speed would help the issue as much was spot on. One of the best comments in the thread.
Oh stop it you
I'm not actually mad. Just let the whole claimed power thing get out of hand and it bugged me. Sometimes I forget it's an Internet forum debating how much power a 70's single puts down

DohcBikes said:

From my opening post:

iatethepeach said:
... if installing the six-speed is impractical, is there a compatible wider-ratio five-speed I can use?

DohcBikes said:
Iatethepeach, stop saying "taller". It means nothing and only muddies the water when talking about gear ratios.

Uh, OK. My bad. I guess. I will henceforth use only "higher ratio" if it so pleases you.

Edit: My bad again, I saw you edited your post to read 'numerically higher" or 'numerically lower"'. LOL.

The terms numerically higher and numerically lower were posted at the same time so I don't know what your LOL is.

I was addressing the question of the need for a six speed, as the title inquires. The sprited banter brought us to the point where I said that a different five speed "would help the issue as much"

The real answer is to rev it and dump the clutch to take off quick, then push it past redline when you wanna go faster. Cmon guys.

Gear ratios for the CL100 are as follows:

Primary - 4.055
Final - 2.857
1st - 2.500
2nd - 1.722
3rd - 1.333
4th - 1.083
5th - .923

The transmission from an SL125 will swap in.

5th gear ratio for that bike is .815 which is taller than your current setup and 1st gear is 2.769, which is shorter.

Back
Top Bottom