Gasket Scan Library

Hoosier Daddy

Earache my eye...
A member on another forum posted life sized scans of his gaskets. I thought it would be a great idea to start a library of scans for DIY'ers to use as templates for making their own. Since many have access to flat bed scanners either at home or at work, and we have such a diversity of engines here, I hope this will grow to be quite extensive. Next time you buy a gasket or set simply scan it and post it up here.
I started the list off with the 76 SOHC CB750 units he submitted and I just picked up the OEM Alternator Cover, Clutch Cover, Left Crankcase, and Oil Pan gaskets for my DOHC engine from Mother Honda. They might just all fit on my 8 ½ X 11 flatbed scanner... I'll be scanning them and adding to the list before installing soon.

List the year, make, and model at the begining of the post, if you can add the actual OEM part number (not aftermarket) onto the scan itself. That will make it easier for others to find their applications.
I will try to maintain a list here of what has been added with shortcuts to that post.

76 HONDA CB750F
74-76 HONDA CB360
71 HONDA CB450 (Vesrah gasket kit)

Re: Gasket Scan Library (sticky?)

Very cool idea. I have an R5 gasket kit en route. Ill find someone to scan them for me. All three of them. Haha.

Might be a good idea to include the model year in the description to aid searches. cb750F 75-78 or cb750F 79-82

notlob said:
Might be a good idea to include the model year in the description to aid searches. cb750F 75-78 or cb750F 79-82
YES!
Hoosier Daddy said:
List the year, make, and model at the begining of the post,
As long as the poster lists it I'll include it in the description... since I don't want to be responsible for application cross-referance.
As I said, I know mine will fit 79-82 DOHC CB750 (all) and will list them that way once entered... but as for the original listed 76 CB750F I didn't want to risk including a wrong model or year so I left it as submitted. ;)

Also found info on "Google Docs" to store and share .PDF's at http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2424384

I've always wished that I have a large scanner and a vinyl cutting machine to make custom gaskets. I work with oddball vintage bikes often enough that gaskets can sometimes be difficult to get. I am not interested in the labor intensive process of manually cutting out gaskets, but if I could have a computer controlled cutter/plotter do it, I would be like a pig in shit!

This could be a great resource. I hope it takes off. Just got some fresh gaskets for my 78 GS750. May have to scan and submit them.

Hey Hoosier,

I think maybe you found my post over on hondatwins - I post as "CB650" there. I'm trying to find a good way to share the PDF I created, but in the meantime here's a link to my post. Feel free to throw it up on your Google docs.

1974 - 1976 CB360 gaskets

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20248

Worst cb650 ever said:
Hey Hoosier,

I think maybe you found my post over on hondatwins - I post as "CB650" there....
Nope, your post was about a week after I started this! (great minds...) But thanks for the contribution, that link oughtta work just fine. I could go right to your scans. But, I am a member there as well so if a "non-member" to Hondatwins.net has issues we can work on linking direct. (While I was there I pirated the CB450 set ::) )

Ncstatecamp said:
would these be the same as a 750k?
Sorry Ncstatecamp, not goin there, Towards the begining I said...
Hoosier Daddy said:
As I said, I know mine will fit 79-82 DOHC CB750 (all) and will list them that way once entered... but as for the original listed 76 CB750F I didn't want to risk including a wrong model or year so I left it as submitted. ;)
...that's why I wanted the OEM parts numbers included. That way you can cross referance them to see for yourself. If this grows to the extent I hope it does, there is no way I could know what all fits what. :)

Also, if you would get a thickness of original material w your digital caliper. That would be helpful

Love this, And I think not only gaskets but decals, manuals and anything similar for old bikes should also get digitalized for future use, that way nothing will get lost and never be replaced. But that's a bigger project for the ambitious.

I have new OEM gaskets for the Yamaha XJ 550 (81-83), I'll scan them and make them in a vector format so they are ready for the cutter.

What would be the best way to cut them? I have a decent sized laser cutter, would that be safe? And where is the best place to get gasket materials?

Would scanning the object that gets gasketed help? Like could I scan the valve cover for the cb work and just cut that profile?

NC, easiest way to cut your own gaskets... Place the part on the paper/cork, tap it down with a rubber mallet. Part shape will transfer to the gasket material. Cut and hole punch as needed, use an exacto knife and I like to use sharpened cartridge cases as hole punches. I used to use black fountain pen ink as the transfer medium but it has gotten expensive. You can lightly oil coat the part and use it to transfer the shape, but, the gasket may not seal right, many paper gaskets go in dry, so do most cork ones. You want them to swell up after they get installed, not before.

You can rub the part with charcoal for transfer onto light colored gasket stock, but again, it may not let the piece seal up properly.

Scruffy said:
NC, easiest way to cut your own gaskets... Place the part on the paper/cork, tap it down with a rubber mallet. Part shape will transfer to the gasket material. Cut and hole punch as needed, use an exacto knife and I like to use sharpened cartridge cases as hole punches. I used to use black fountain pen ink as the transfer medium but it has gotten expensive. You can lightly oil coat the part and use it to transfer the shape, but, the gasket may not seal right, many paper gaskets go in dry, so do most cork ones. You want them to swell up after they get installed, not before.

You can rub the part with charcoal for transfer onto light colored gasket stock, but again, it may not let the piece seal up properly.

I might have to give this a try... thank you very much

eh.. dont wanna rain on the parade.... but when you scan, upload, download and print an image on various machines with various software, it's 99% of the time NOT the exact same size. Kinda important with gaskets right?

Therefor, i think its handy to scan them on top of a rasterized piece of paper, like this:

205530924_5fd24be3f5.jpg

Ofcourse you'll have to WRITE ON THE RASTER PAPER what the scale is. DO WRITE it on, as a post might get deleted, but a picture will stay forever, with its scale.

What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom