Gasket Scan Library

I hate agree with Bert Jan, but it is very likely that the print out will be scaled in some way and not fit. We have this issue at work trying to print out scale drawings of buildings we are working on. This is why all technical drawings state not to scale from the drawing as they will be out of scale-sorry

The scans shouldn't be scaled as long as the user leaves it at 100%. If you have access to adobe illustrator that program can print full scale and span pages if needed. I'm sure there are other programs that will too, illustrator is pricey.

davidgwells said:
The scans shouldn't be scaled as long as the user leaves it at 100%. If you have access to adobe illustrator that program can print full scale and span pages if needed. I'm sure there are other programs that will too, illustrator is pricey.

1mm is to much differnce for a gasket... Besides, i have never seen 2 printers of different make and model print the exact same print. I went to artschool (university) for 4 years and work daily with CS and pricey printers. It's always a pain.

Damn... Wouldn't a .pdf instead of a .jpg or .gif take care of this? Or is the issue with the scaling due to the individual printer?

There will always be issues of scale when printed, as it is a printer driver level issue.

One way to minimize this (not eliminate, but minimize) is to include a scale object in the scan.

A little grid or square that has been confirmed with a ruler with the size of the object/pattern written on the image.

That way the image itself contains an internal scale reference. Print out the file and measure the scale object within the image and see how off you are.

Yup, I put a ruler on the scanner glass with mine. Still didn't help when I didn't set the scale to 100% to print it out.

Remember that scene in "Innerspace" where the bad guys get shrunk down to about 4' tall? Yea, like that. Protip: lay a ruler on the scan on the image of the ruler in the printout.

Damn. I wish I would have seen this a few days ago, I just installed most of a full KZ400 set. I think it's a good idea, and with a scale in the scan you should be able to tweak the print/scaling settings to get it right. I'll try to get the ones that I have left.

Did this a while ago as a test at home after realizing the scaling issue myself.
So here is a test for you. Since it is an attachment you should be able to "click" on it and see it full sized... then print to test.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 510
I just got new gaskets for my CL175 to fix some minor oil leaks, so I thought I'd throw them up here for the good of the order. The dimensions of the graph paper when originally scanned were 1 inch (bold lines) and 1/10 inch (light lines), but when I printed it out it was slightly off. So, I'd recommend printing a tester then adjusting to scale for accuracy in your printer settings.

1969-1973 CB/CL175 Alternator Cover Gasket

1969-1973 CB/CL175 Left Crankcase Cover Gasket

1969-1973 CB/CL175 Tach Housing Gasket (fits behind housing not cover)

Hope it helps!

This is aa great idea! I started scanning gaskets about 2 years ago and was planning on posting them somewhere. The scaling problem concerns me, I haven't tried to make a gasket from my scans yet from pdf but my ultimate goal is to reproduce them into vector drawings for using Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator for use in laser cutter. Has anyone started doing this? I hope to start soon on my XS400 gaskets unless someone already has them available in .AI or .SVG format.

Cheers!

Gasket King will make gaskets from a scanned image. I had them make a couple of float bowl gaskets for me a while back.

They already have a large library of gaskets for old bikes, so there a decent chance they may already have the gasket you need

Back
Top Bottom