Cheap 'Pod' filters - why you shouldn't - Public service posting

crazypj said:
That's a bit harsh Von...

Yeah, maybe...

Some great info here, that's undeniable. Hopefully it helps some of the newer members make an informed decision regarding their builds. That said my issue was with the obviously dismissive of DTT posts on .net. They spend enough time talking shit on this site without a long standing and well regarded member adding to the contempt.

I keep seeing a lot of dislike towards DTT from other forums. More so than usual. Its frustrating enough when it comes from those that refuse to take the time to get to know DTT and its members. When its seemingly from someone who not only spends a great deal of time here but makes money from our members... Its a little disheartening. You're as helpful as any other member here and more so than most. I've seen you spend days trying to assist someone through a problem with their bike. Yet your posts in regard to this thread came across as very dismissive of DTT and its members.

Maybe I'm just cranky or winter is getting to me. I don't know. I do know however, that this forum is a great place that doesn't deserve to be shit on in other forums. Yes there are more "new" members here that may not be aware of all of the basic dos and donts of bike building. That's because this place is a laid back and relaxed forum. A place where your questions get answered honestly and without the attitude you'll find on many other cafe and custom forums. That's commendable in my eyes.

Personally I wouldn't trade 100 "new" guys who are thirsty for knowledge amd willing to learn and share ideas for one "old" guy who thinks that everything they touch is gold and that they are somehow all knowing. We have plenty of experience across this board to help everyone.

My only point is that this is a great place that we ALL have benefited from in some way. Be it knowledge, monetary gain, or simple camaraderie. When we're on other forums it seems we should all remember that and have some respect. That includes letting others know that the banal and arrogant bashing of a place we've all worked to build into something really special won't fly. Lets not pander to others.

Or again, maybe I'm over thinking everything and the lack of sunlight in PA has made me crazy. Ha...

Either way, lets not feed the bullshit anti DTT hive-mind that exists elsewhere. And if anyone really does feel the need to do so, than the door always swings both ways.

jsharpphoto said:
The previous owner of my superhawk installed emgo pods on to the stock rubber intakes, not directly to the cards (which are keihnin PW28, I think). It theyre mounted to the original intakes, they can't really be blocking the holes can they? I understand the shitty filtration from the mesh, but will I have these problems described here?

The bike is disassembled, I've never tried to run it.

Assuming we are talking CB77, the original Superhawk, they will not filter all that well, but will not block any ports. The carbs are PW26s and the air filter is connected to the carbs with a long parallel intake tube. The tubes are very stiff and it is quite possible to put a filter over them. The bike will run better with stock OEM filters but that wasn't the question :)

VonYinzer said:
Maybe I'm just cranky or winter is getting to me. I don't know. I do know however, that this forum is a great place that doesn't deserve to be shit on in other forums. Yes there are more "new" members here that may not be aware of all of the basic dos and donts of bike building. That's because this place is a laid back and relaxed forum. A place where your questions get answered honestly and without the attitude you'll find on many other cafe and custom forums. That's commendable in my eyes.

Or again, maybe I'm over thinking everything and the lack of sunlight in PA has made me crazy. Ha...

Hi Von, S.A.D. is a known condition
If you have a bunch of other stuff going on in your life it also affects behavior and perception, usually for the worst (I didn't care how my posts sounded, (these are the facts, take it get the fuck out answers, don't have time for BS and 'instant experts')
I'm in a lot less pain most of the time so I'm a lot more mellow (you should be able to tell from posts if it's a good or bad day/week)
CRN is a harsh place, when someone with no experience starts talking smack they get flamed and sulk, many people have been directed here and are welcomed (which is great) but then are encouraged to do really dumb shit, that is far more dangerous than telling them to sit down shut up and listen
This forum has grown and matured a lot over the last few years, it really isn't the same place it was.
I deleted over 1,000 posts and asked Tim to remove me back then, got fed up with all the BS when I wouldn't give the answers 'newbies/squids' wanted (some of it from people who now know better and repeat what I was saying to the new guys)
If this makes no sense, painkillers haven't taken effect yet (or they have and I need another 2 hrs to become 'sensible' )
Apart from that, I'm just a hypocrite ;D ;) 8)
I'll edit things in a couple of hours ::)

Anyhow...

Thanks for the info. Its certainly good stuff. Hopefully folks listen to it and do right by their bikes.

teazer said:
Assuming we are talking CB77, the original Superhawk, they will not filter all that well, but will not block any ports. The carbs are PW26s and the air filter is connected to the carbs with a long parallel intake tube. The tubes are very stiff and it is quite possible to put a filter over them. The bike will run better with stock OEM filters but that wasn't the question :)

thanks. that's exactly what I needed to know.

To further this discussion, I have cheap pods on my bike. They were there when I bought it. Having never heard of problems with cheap pods, I never thought about them. My bike never idled very well. It was very inconsistent. I could adjust the idle mixture screw all day and never noticed much differnece in the idle. Of course, carbs are black magic to me. After reading this thread, I went out and looked at mine. I took the cones off and took some pics of the adapters on the carbs. The intake holes in my carbs are not directly blocked, but they are definitely behind the lip of the rubber adapters. Having studied aerodynamics, I can certainly see how this could make the airflow to these ports very turbulent and inconsistent. I do plan on getting some better filters when my motorcycle budget gets replenished but I will have to live with these for now.

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

Flug, I just went and picked up a pair of Uni's for my bike this weekend. I will let you know how different they are once it is back together.

I have UNI's on my Kawi Triple... They seem to flow better than K&N's as I needed to re-jet richer when I made the swap. They are still slightly more restrictive than open air but by far the best filter for the money!

Not to mention they are about 1/3 the cost of K&N's...
K&N knock off's are complete garbage!!!

I like the visuals the post provides. It is nice as a "newbie" to understand WHY something doesn't work rather than just being told your stupid for wanting to. I will agree some of the guys at CRN prefer the latter. But there are some there and many members here who genuinely take the time to explain why. The frustration I sense from the CRN guys and even some members here is when the "newbie" gets the explanation why but continues to tell the veterans why they are wrong or how a different forum said they could.... blah blah blah. I have no issue with CRN or DTT ripping into those ppl. They are asking for it. They are looking for a fight or validation that cheap pods will make there bike run better for cheaper and look better...

Oh my point...forgot that...Lets make this a sticky or find a way to copy the diagram over. It is VERY helpful to understanding why an airbox or velocity stacks or expensive filters work the way they do!

Discussions like this have gone on for a while on the CX forum, where cheap pods and even some costlier models were causing all kinds of issues in tuning.........found a solution at a reasonable price, it was mikesxs pods or ovals. They dont have an internal lip to disrupt flow, instead they slip on over the mouth of the carb leaving it uninterrupted.

I don't have pics so follow along as best you can .

Remember the cheap assed aluminum cup/tumbler , anodized wtfever? Nasco...
Now they are only found in junk stores and such after the whole light metal leads to dementia deal.
These had a taper and diameter that lent them easily to budget velocity stacks .
Trim to length , slit to fit , insert into filter about half the distance to the back of filter and tighten down with a single clamp for both .
mC73gHPNYr5lNUkSpCzzKTA.jpg

~kop

Them's quite neat, never seen any around though,
Here's a CB378 F/A printout showing why the CV carbs need some work when you junk stock airbox
It had 110 secondary mains and no other modifications, smaller and it was so lean it would barely run
Ignore the numbers on bottom, it was from 2,800 to 9,500 rpm.
The transition when slides start to lift is real obvious (hits dotted line , max performance F/A ratio then goes crazy rich)
The run was done from less than 1/8 to instant full throttle
Fuelairratio-CB360stockcarbsunmodified115secondarymain.jpg

I never knew how restrictive some of the cheap pods could be, the only time I bought pods they were K&N's.

I don't class K&N the same as 'pods'
Pods are cheap generic stuff that may or may not work, at least there is more information coming out about some alternatives

Interesting chart PJ. I read it the wrong way round first thing this morning (pre coffee). Really interesting how much the bypass holes affect things and the slide lifts much later than I would have expected. So do we need a TPS and slide lift sensor to jet these fool things now?

Could you use a smaller main jet and larger air jet to lift the curve overall and then tilt it flatter as revs rise? Or would it benefit from a different needle/jet?

The slide isn't bottomed out, about 7~8mm up bore when 'closed'
It doesn't really lift until 4.5~5K
Runs too lean with a smaller main-jet after I do modifications
It wasn't any better with various size main-jets before I did modifications, (105~120) had to think it through (a lot) then experiment some more.
I'm 99.9% certain I know whats happening, where and when 8)
I've found a way around it though, problem is I don't have access to Dyno with EGA (at least, not at a price I can afford)
Different needle and jet would help but the only way to get them is make them (really don't have time and it's REAL difficult to make needles, I've tried ;D )
The only way to really fix it is send me carbs or buy Mikuni's (but it's why I only 'do' CB350/360 carbs)
Pretty sure CB450/500T will respond the same?

Yep, but they only last 4~5 yrs, The K&N's I have on 378 motor were on a GPZ900 in the 80's ;D (I originally thought 90's, but realised I was working on different stuff and riding different bike :eek: )
I just have the wrong attitude, I buy bikes with the intention of selling them, but, re-build them as I want then keep them until someone makes an offer I can't understand
My sister says I have the uncanny ability to turn money into scrap

Back
Top Bottom