1972 CB175 2-1 Exhaust Build

silverheli2000

Hi All,

I just finished up my exhaust build for my 72 cb175. I really fell in love with the Hooker 2-1 system and decided to do my best to make my own. I started with sourcing a decent used set of CL175 headers off ebay for $75 shipped to my door. The headers actually had the muffler still on it but I made a deal with the guy to lower his shipping if he would chop it off before sending (it was rusted through anyhow...). For the base of my Y pipe, I sourced some 45 degree elbows from jegs at 5.99 a piece http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynomax/Dynomax-Elbows/762720/10002/-1. To finish out the Y pipe build, I welded a scrap piece of 1.75" pipe I did get from the local muffler shop here in town...for free! The 1.75" size was the perfect diameter to fit in the muffler so I didnt have to use the supplied spacers. Also a side note....the internal diameter of the elbows from Jegs were absolutely the perfect size to squeeze over the OD of the scrambler headers. Couldnt ask for a better fit.

There was a muffler shop downtown Indy that carried 1.5" in stock and had a bender, but when I called and inquired about what a couple of elbows would cost me to make they quoted me $45 bucks! I'm all about shopping local, but this is a budget build. I finally ended the build with a reverse megaphone shorty muffler. Hopefully the pictures help show my progress. I'm no professional here...everything was done with either a hacksaw, bench grinder, hand grinder, and harbor freight welder. Throw in some high temp grill paint and exhaust wrap (not pictured...but it is wrapped now)....and I'm very happy with the results. Sounds mean as hell too!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• CB175.JPG
    CB175.JPG
    647.9 KB · Views: 887
  • scrambler initial mock up.JPG
    scrambler initial mock up.JPG
    581.1 KB · Views: 991
  • y pipe mock up.JPG
    y pipe mock up.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 764
  • y pipe build.JPG
    y pipe build.JPG
    451.9 KB · Views: 693
Here are some pictures of the final product. I didnt include the first mock up picture when the Y pipe was first done. The headers were WAY too long, so off they came and I hacksawed more off....just behind the 2nd heat shield mounting tab. I then went ahead and removed the 1st tab as I do not plan on mounting any heat sheild to these.

Attachments

• exhaust final with wrap.JPG
    exhaust final with wrap.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 2,283
  • exhaust final.JPG
    exhaust final.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 758
Yes. Its a bit difficult to see, but the chrome bracket I used came with the muffler and is mounted behind the shock and ahead of the turn signal. I utilized one of the mounting bolts for the seat bracket.

Some "mods" to make the muffler fit better was I removed the chrome shroud from the shock, and cut down on the mount welded on the muffler to give me more room (I used the very end of the mount, so I removed the front part that I didnt need but was in the way). That along with bending the muffler bracket in to a Z shape and I've got plenty of clearance between the muffler and shock.

Thanks!

One of the biggest decisions I had to make here was to either weld the Y pipe to the headers, or use band clamps and clamp the headers to the Y. I decided to weld obviously, but the reason for the question is to get both headers into the head does take a little muscle as the original design was for them to go in one at a time. It worked welding...and I've got 2 1.5" exhaust band clamps I'm not using if anyone's interested.

AFter installing a set of the Hooker pipes you designed yours after, I would have welded one header and left the other loose like the factory design. I don't know how the head angles are set up on the 175 but on the 450 they are a bitch.

I very much considered that too. I had it mocked up with the clamps...and I just didnt like the look, even with only one clamp. Its a slight bitch to take off....but with the right pressure and finangling, it does come out of the headers without too much problem.

CB360 2-1 Exhaust

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd throw in a picture of my new scrambleresqe project which I used the exact same process as above with a few differences.

I sourced a MUCH better EMGO long muffler with actual baffles that make this sound and run a lot better. Also, I was able to slightly modify the stock heat shield to use with this new 2-1 exhaust. The modifications basically involved taking my dremel, cutting slots in the rear of the original mounting brackets at the back of the shield, and slipping a large stainless hose clamp through it, routing the hose clamp around the exhaust and BAM, heat shield that looks great.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts, I'm very happy with the results and the sound is amazing.

Attachments

• full shot 360.JPG
    full shot 360.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 631
CB360 more shots

Also...sourced a CL360 side cover which I painted flat black (no emblems on yet, wanted to detail those and touch them up), as well as I used 2000k header paint to paint the headers vs. header wrap. Still holding up with no issues (and no god awful smell).

Attachments

• image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 585
CB360 more shots

Full Picture. A few other items to note...low rise black bars, bar end mirror, STEEL post legit turn signals (not the crappy plastic kind)...all in all its got the look I was after without sacrificing safety. It runs great...and actually for sale now if you are interested...didnt post to advertise it, but figured it was worth the shot, I'm just ready to move on to something else...possibly with 4 wheels this time.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 597
Hey I realize I'm bringing this thread back from the dead a 2nd time... but, wondering if anyone can confirm the ID size of pipe needed to fit over the CL head pipes?

1.75"??

Hey I realize I'm bringing this thread back from the dead a 2nd time... but, wondering if anyone can confirm the ID size of pipe needed to fit over the CL head pipes?

1.75"??
I'll try again. What is the ID of the Vert 175 pip?

smaller than you might think. They are double walled to prevent them from going blue.

CB160 are 32mm OD and more or less 26mm bore at the head.

CL175 high pipes are 35mm OD and 30mm bore at the head.

If you need ID at the muffler end of the headers let me know and I'll run out to the shop to measure them

Back
Top Bottom