$50 mod thread

Right on the money boy!! the joke is to ask someone(usually female units) to read and say out loud"I am sofa king wee todd did" good party joke when the blonde(s) or fire heads(red heads) are partially buzzed,,,,,sometimes it's just amazing they can read ::) ::) ::).................................. ;D

Ok here's mine on making a cafe seat using the foam from the inside of a spare helmet. Still in progress but def. under $50.
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6569.0

Afterthought bracket:

Tools:
Saw of some sort (or a CNC mill)
Drill
Taps

I cut mine with a big expensive machine... but that part can be done by hand by anyone.

driveway%20003.jpg

and I tore the light itself off a dirtbike in a junkyard... I think he charged me a couple bucks for it.
driveway%20012.jpg

Does anyone who can type know anything more about this forklift brake lining thing? I think I might want to look into it. Pictures? Forklifts don't normally have stop suddenly from 60 mph.

Wee Todd said:
I'm told one in three has the X chromezone,and one in six has the Y chromezone's,,geanneticlee faultered,,,,geniealigists blame it on in breading(hallowoween is fun here,, pump KIN),,,,,,and were told this happens in the Ozarks too,,I saw the movie,,deliveredance ::) ::) it's amazing that some folks take this seriously ;D ;D.thanks for the compliment and again I apoligise to referring to you as a :eek:,,,well I apoligised!!,,,,,,,cb 350 and cb 550 I have a welf of knoelige ;D ;D(couldn't resist, lmao).......forgot just one thing,,if I wasn't warped...I would have no funs!!!!!!!

Poster of the year award candidate!

Also, thread of the year candidate!

Here's a cheap way to pack or repack de-baffled pipes for a deeper sound:

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/marauder-m50-secret-hideaway/32124-m50-fiberglass-rebaffle-low-merged.html

A friend who rides a Suzuki showed me this link, but it looks to be something you could do to just about any muffler. I'm giving it a shot on my CB500T's after market pipes.

;D I'm gonna do that! Great idea and execution on that dude! I wanted one of the BCR bezels, but I'm alergic to spending that much on a headlight bezel. And now a sloution!

cheap levers...
so on my TX 500 i have 2 diff leavers... i am cheap so i do not want to buy new ones... here is what i do on all my bikes levers...
First mark where you want to make your cut... i like to cut the balls off the ends my levers....

107w58y.jpg

then use a grinder, belt sander, what ever to smooth them out... on harleys i typically will square them off on this bike i just made a smooth oval on the end... then media blast them... sanding works just fine...

2j5xg04.jpg

then just paint them... either that or polish them... but paint is easy... a powder coater will typically charge like 5 bucks a lever...

I powdered mine, as with the rest of the bike i mixed in a bit of brass flake... but here are the pics... super easy and almost free if you polish... plus it looks cool as hell on the bike

2v8mxau.jpg

2812dv.jpg

I know alot of us eliminate our turn sigs... well here is how to save your switch housings as well...
pull out the old switches, remove the stickers and sande it all down... then use bondo or JB weld if you are going to powder coate them... after it cures then sand it smooth... i filled in all the indents on them as well... but lefter the hole for the starter button... that i will keep... just another cheap and CLEAN trick for cheap

2ir3g2f.jpg

2112iw0.jpg

2j3k13l.jpg

1623zps.jpg

108fuyr.jpg

Most racing organizations will not let race with the ball end removed,,,,,in an accident the modified lever will punch through leather,,and your skin!!!!!! :eek:

building solid state replacements for old selenium rectifiers
around $5
here's another useful one, i tend to bookmark various links as i find them which may be relevant later, and this thread seems a good place to put them all.
http://physiology.usouthal.edu/restore/diode/diode.html

hondacharge.jpg

and it should look something like this---
R42a1-1-273x205.jpg

or you can buy a complete plug in replacement for ~$20. here > http://oregonmotorcycleparts.com/rectifiers.html

the solid state bridge rectifieryou need to buy should look like this..
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062584&cp=
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZR1324&CATID=&keywords=rectifier&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

liam said:
building solid state replacements for old selenium rectifiers
around $5
here's another useful one, i tend to bookmark various links as i find them which may be relevant later, and this thread seems a good place to put them all.
http://physiology.usouthal.edu/restore/diode/diode.html

hondacharge.jpg

and it should look something like this---
R42a1-1-273x205.jpg

or you can buy a complete plug in replacement for ~$20. here > http://oregonmotorcycleparts.com/rectifiers.html

the solid state bridge rectifieryou need to buy should look like this..
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062584&cp=
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZR1324&CATID=&keywords=rectifier&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

I did the Radio Shack rectifier mod on my '71 CB350. Works great! I used to have to hook up a float charger every couple of days to keep the battery topped off. Not any more. Also my turn signal flashers used to work kinda funky (not a constant blink rate) Now they blink nice and steady.

CC

My battery use to drain like crazy when I first started riding. I'd have to put it on a trickle charger every two days. Then I figured out that I just gotta ride it a bit harder to get the RPM's up...and never use the electric starter.

How much of a difference does this mod make? Can I use the electric starter and ride like a granny?

That scares me! There is no voltage regulation at all. maybe my bike is just weird. I have 3 yellow wires from the alternator. I ran these through a voltage rectifier (a 3 phase one I made with diodes.) and a capacitor rated for 50v. (to smooth out the voltage ripple.) My plan was to measure the results and then figure out what to do about the voltage regulation so I could bring it down to about 14v to charge the batt. I hooked it up started my cb400 and watched my DMM peak at over 100v and then the capacitor exploded. Maybe the cb350 isn't wired the same and doesn't need a regulator, or has a seperate one. My bike (and many others, I'd wager.) had an intergrated rectifier/regulator. This would replace the rectifier part but not the regulator. It might even work fine, but consistantly overcharge the battery. The voltage would drop to the battery voltage, but nothing would stop it from rising beyond the 13.5v or so of a full battery; cooking the bejesus out of your battery.

Represto:
If your bike was designed to work with just a rectifier and no regulator as the above diagram indicates; this would be much better then the oldschool selenium one. It should work better then brand new.

i used one just like the one above that i got on ebay on a buddies 350 WORKED GREAT!!!! I MEAN GREAT!!!! i have that same thing sitting in my parts bin for my CB350 build waiting to go on as well

although i do have to say Steve knows his Shit when it comes to wiring... Ill call up Amaya a bit later today to see if he has had any issues with the 350 i got going for him a few years back

my 15 dollar bike table
put this in my build thread but figured someone may need it later... going to figure out how to use a bottle jack to raise the whole unit up and down
went to the local walgreens... sweet talked the mgr and she gave me 5 milk crates... from there i went to dads house, i recently built him a trailer that would allow him to bring his Harley and his Jet ski to his summer get away in marco island... still had a 3/4 sheet of ply... i cut that to be 2.5 ft wide... with the excess i cut 2.5 sections... then i dug though his bolt collection till i found 10 bolts that matched (round lags) 10 washers, and 10 nuts... then i cut 5 strips from some extra wood we had laying around... now assembly... drilled 2 holes in each strip i cut, then mounted the milk crates to the smaller sections i cut... after i got all those done i simply bolted it all together at home... tossed one of the 15 wheel chucks i have (we take a ton of bike to FL ever year so i ahve a ton) added some mounting points for straps and BOOM.. i gots a table!

2wnzmo3.jpg

2gxiter.jpg

2v9ou39.jpg

2i6ggw2.jpg

2q8pnrb.jpg

n6xfrc.jpg

2cfti84.jpg

1zxba6d.jpg

2znst2t.jpg

New wheel chuck:
2s96ble.jpg

take it twice as high:
egwq4j.jpg

28i42g5.jpg

JRK5892 said:
my 15 dollar bike table
put this in my build thread but figured someone may need it later... going to figure out how to use a bottle jack to raise the whole unit up and down
went to the local walgreens... sweet talked the mgr and she gave me 5 milk crates... from there i went to dads house, i recently built him a trailer that would allow him to bring his Harley and his Jet ski to his summer get away in marco island... still had a 3/4 sheet of ply... i cut that to be 2.5 ft wide... with the excess i cut 2.5 sections... then i dug though his bolt collection till i found 10 bolts that matched (round lags) 10 washers, and 10 nuts... then i cut 5 strips from some extra wood we had laying around... now assembly... drilled 2 holes in each strip i cut, then mounted the milk crates to the smaller sections i cut... after i got all those done i simply bolted it all together at home... tossed one of the 15 wheel chucks i have (we take a ton of bike to FL ever year so i ahve a ton) added some mounting points for straps and BOOM.. i gots a table!

2wnzmo3.jpg

2gxiter.jpg

2v9ou39.jpg

2i6ggw2.jpg

2q8pnrb.jpg

n6xfrc.jpg

2cfti84.jpg

1zxba6d.jpg

2znst2t.jpg

Simply Awesone Joe! I am going to have to make something like this as soon as the bike is ready to be reassembled. I am using a craftsman tool bench right now and it is such a stupid design, but it is all I have for now, so I make due. I filed a claim with ebay so as soon as I find out what the deal is with my rearsets I'll be giving you a ring about the spacers man. My swingarm is going out this week for a guy in the sohc4 board to make me some custom brass bearings on his lathe. People rave about his quality, so I am gonna check it out.

Back
Top Bottom