Front axle compatibility question

Cbone

Hey guys, I mounted my front wheel today and things just didn't look right to me but i have never built a cb350 before.

The bike is a CL350, but i have swapped the forks and lower and upper triple with a cb360. The thing that didn't look right to me is the space between the fork and the break. Is this normal? Am I missing a spacer ? or is this possibly because i swapped out the fork? Any advice would be appreciated.

2i9mu7m.png

zmdyfn.jpg

2dqsmrp.jpg

e5oj1e.jpg

J-Rod10 said:
Looking closer, it does look to be a spacer there.

There is a spacer on the side opposite to the break. The break side has just the piece that treads onto the end of the axle.

To answer you other question, I thought they were the same but I could be wrong this is my first go at this so lots of learning as I go

Normally the brake plate abuts the fork leg and there is a spacer or the speedo drive on the other side. That appears to have a spacer (looks like a washer) on a sleeve of some sort and we can't tell from the pictures is whether that is threaded and acts like a locator or if it's just a tube.

I think you suggested that the wheel and forks came from different bikes. It the fork spacing or hub width are different, it may need a custom spacer to make it all work and possibly a custom axle. In all probability, the axle that came with those forks should be OK.

What year CL350? I believe the early front ends, with the tapered triples, were a little narrower.
When you installed the newer 350/360 style triples, you increased the width.
As long as the hub is still captured by the axle spacers, and the axle is centered and tight with the pinch clamps, you should be good.

alzcbz said:
What year CL350? I believe the early front ends, with the tapered triples, were a little narrower.
When you installed the newer 350/360 style triples, you increased the width.
As long as the hub is still captured by the axle spacers, and the axle is centered and tight with the pinch clamps, you should be good.

My bike is an 70, do you know if the font hub is the same ? I was thinking about trying a diffenrt axle. It looks like the newer 350. & 360 spacers are a little different.

Which axle did you end up getting and what was the difference?
Maybe give us some reference pics.

I swapped it with a 76 cb360 axle the one with the spacer that looks like a hex nut on the end. I also tired one off a 74 but it didn't fit properly.

Bit late (and more than a dollar short) but, axle was also in backwards. 'Nut' should be on brake plate side

crazypj said:
Bit late (and more than a dollar short) but, axle was also in backwards. 'Nut' should be on brake plate side

No it was on correctly, that is the nut on the brake plate side. That style of axle looks different.

Haven't seen that type before, something new to me is pretty surprising 8)

Back
Top Bottom