Dohc Cb750f: possibly a valve issue

Maybe he wants to burn the thing to the ground..... Or hopefully meant he was going to use a relay but went for short form explanation.

The ignition module controls the work coils. Same with the last set I had. No risk of burning the bike to the ground. I’ve already got it wire up. The coils switch on when you fire the starter. I’m not an electrical engineer, nor do I care to be one. That’s why I’m on board for simple design. Also, if it does burn to the ground we’ll have all learned a valuable lesson. I’ve ran fuses and such. Honestly I feel pretty confident this time around

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

crazypj said:
Safer to wire them through a 30A relay, that way you can turn them off when ignition is off. Easier than disconnecting every time

I did a relay bipass with the stock ignition, when it was on the bike. Honestly, if I would have ran better coils that would have been an awesome set up. These power arc coils are controlled by the ignition module. They aren’t grounded. If I grounded them then there would definitely be a melt down

All this being said, I’m not advocating for power arc yet. I haven’t had any success with the system yet. They are communicating with me, however, and I’m installing it as instructed.

So, after working on the bike for hours the damn thing won’t crank. I’m getting spark, and the timing is right. I spent meticulous hours on the wiring....... and all I get is the occasional backfire. I’ve got a sneaking suspicion he sent me a module for SOHC. I just know it. I’ve checked everything and re-timed the damn thing several times.
Trying not to let disappointment set in

Ok, so after another try or two Gary calls me. We decided it sounded like 180 out of time. All I did was switch 1 and 4 plug wires to 2 and 3. Then 2 and 3 to 1 and 4 and it fired right up.... damnedest thing I’ve ever seen. Test ride tomorrow!!

The coils put out one hell of a spark. It audibly sounds like a taser. If all goes well, a little tuning will make this bike sing. I’m trying to keep my feet on the ground tho. Still haven’t ridden it yet

Just got back from my shake down run...... bike runs amazing. I only rode about 50 miles, but I had zero issues. Idle was smooth. No backfire even on deceleration. No flat spots on acceleration. At the moment I’m very pleased. I’m going to take it on a good long run tomorrow and see what happens.

On a totally separate note: I cleaned my carbs really well last time I pulled them. They sat in a heated ultrasonic for 24 hours. I haven’t had any carb related issues since, but they are always around the corner. Does any have any recommendations for a professional that does carb restoration? I think next go around I’d like to spend the extra money and have them done really nice. I know some of the press ins could probably use some attention, and the slide bores are beginning to score a bit

Mike Nixson, J.R. Luksik are two top rebuilders. To keep them running great, pure 100% gas (with good inline filters) and an occasional dose of Techron or Seafoam (aboht every 4th tankful) at label recommended rates can help keep things clean. But, don't use at higher concentrations than the label sez!

pidjones said:
Mike Nixson, J.R. Luksik are two top rebuilders. To keep them running great, pure 100% gas (with good inline filters) and an occasional dose of Techron or Seafoam (aboht every 4th tankful) at label recommended rates can help keep things clean. But, don't use at higher concentrations than the label sez!

Sea foam sounds like a good call. Non ethanol is pretty hard to come by out here. In Virginia it was all over. I’ve only found one place here.

Took the bike on a long ride today. I rode all the way to Georgia and back. I even rode through a wicked hard thunderstorm. No problems at all. I almost can’t believe it.

Find a supplier for avgas :)....gone are the days of riding up to the local airport honking your horn 3times, then the fuel truck would come over to the fence line when he had a few moments free...

Techron is a Chevron brand. Fuel injector cleaner? I don't remember where I read article but I saw something couple of weeks ago about E10 fuel and stochiometric ratio's. E10 needs 14:1 instead of 14.7:1. Wish I could remember where I saw it to post link. It's a big con by farming' lobby to get worse gas mileage and pay more for it. The industrial giant's growing corn to turn into alchol have conned probably billions by now, small farms cannot compete

Techron is its own brand. Here, we can get it at Advance Auto Parts or Walmart. Some top-tier gasolines have it included (Texaco is one).

pidjones said:
Techron is its own brand. Here, we can get it at Advance Auto Parts or Walmart. Some top-tier gasolines have it included (Texaco is one).

I just picked some up at advanced. Probably still gonna have to pull the carbs. Idle is starting to creep on me a little. This does not please me

Could someone drop some polishing tips, or point me in the right direction?

Back
Top Bottom