72' CB350 - First build.

Rocan said:
puts my bike to absolute shame. damn that was built quick!

Don't worry Rocan, next tuesday i'm going out to sea for 4 weeks, that should leave you with plenty of time to pick up ;)

Re: 72' CB350 - First build. A bit more progress today!

Today was a good day in the workshop, spent a few hours putting on the front end, handlebars, swingarm and shocks.

Hopefully i will start making a template for the rearset tomorrow.

Pictures:
DSC00217.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

I'm still very pleased with how this thing is turning out, with the low budget in mind. 8)

whats your plan for mounting the headlight? Over the black spacers? I must say, thats a more elegant solution than my black hockey stick tape! Looks great, looking forward to the rear sets!

bob.

That front does look great!! Love the Tommaselli bars!!

Bodot - hockey tape rules!!! Nice gritty look.

Actually, that is black insulation tape wrapped around the top of the fork tubes ;) , they were really rusted/corroded, could have painted them, but did not want to look at the craters, and i like the wrapped look the tape gives.

I'm planning and doing some headlight ears myself, or buy some, they are not that expensive, but you know "selfmade is well made", or something like that. ::)

A little update. Did a very low tech cardboard template for my rearset, I think thay came out well. Will fabricate when i get to work, where I have materials and a lathe avaible.

Pictures:

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

I'm was thinking that they may be a little to far back, what you think?

Using the stock rear mounts? I was helping a buddy figure out if the stock rears would work for him for rear sets on his 350 this week and It looks like they will. Alot depends on your height and how comfortable they will be for you. The linkage looks maybe a little long but hard to tell.

Yes, it's the stock rear mounts i'm using. The possition is fine for my hight and riding position, but I am also worried about the lenght of the linkage, but then again if I look at some foreward controls on choppers, they have crazy long links? So i hope, if I make the link rigid enough this will be alright, because it's fairly easy to use this mount.

Btw link is about 11,5 inch long, how does that sound?

Think I kinda found the answer, DCC sells a universal linkage kit thats 12 inch, so i guess that will be okay.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-universal-diy-rearset-rear-set-linkage-system-dcc-rslinkage.html

Yeah, I think the important thing is to set it up so that it works for you. That rod won't break!

diesel450 said:
Yeah, I think the important thing is to set it up so that it works for you. That rod won't break!

That's my thoughts exactly. Will give it a try.

Also did a template for a little dash/speedo mount:

DSC00224.jpg

72' CB350 - First build. Update!

Hi all, after 4 weeks at sea, working, I got home and spent some time in the workshop. When at sea there's really not much fun to do when not on duty, so tried to make a few parts for the bike.

My first try at rearsets, its 6mm aluminum with brass pegs. Really i wanted the pegs in alu as well, but brass was all we had onboard:

Shifter side, please ignore the middle finger:

DSC00226.jpg

Brake side:

DSC00227.jpg

Boltet in the rear brace, since i already paintet the frame I didn't want to weld again, so made a brace out of some steel tubing, welded the ends shut and made a treaded hole in each end (if that makes any sense):

DSC00233.jpg

Seat ready for fiberglass, will get to that soon:

DSC00235.jpg

Also did some other bits and pieces, and brought home some 6 and 8mm stainless stell rods to make a linkage for rearset, will post more pictures when i get to that.

Little update:

Layed some fiberglass on my seat today, next is to bondo, sand, bondo, sand and repeat!

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

Also made two stainless steel brake stay bars for front and rear brake drums. Pictures will follow later.

your going to have to do a lotttt of bondo and sanding on that seat.... have you considered using that as a plug to make a mold?

Rocan said:
your going to have to do a lotttt of bondo and sanding on that seat.... have you considered using that as a plug to make a mold?

Rocan: It's not really as rough as it looks, I think it's because the layers of glass overlap and makes different shadows and coulors. I see what you mean when i look at the pictures, but i think it will look diffent once it dries. Will post pictures again tomorrow.

Great work so far man! That bike is really looking nice. How did you get that primer to stick so well to your chrome rims? Also, how did you prep your engine for paint?

Thanks, and congrats on the excellent build.

If I'm not mistaken you are in the Service? Correct? If so, thank you for your service to our country. It's an honor to have you on the site.

that makes sense...

forgot to mention....

LOVE those rearsets. i was going to do some brass pegs on my build, but would have to have a bunch of brass accents to match it. maybe my next one...

Back
Top Bottom