kz750 twin....bratstyle/cafe bastard (strap on sally) phase 1 complete

Re: 1983 kz750 twin (strap-on sally/trick 13) new fenders!!!

sweet! well it looks really good. I already have to take my center stand off, because I put 10.5 inch shocks on there and a 16' rear Harley wheel. It looks cool, but I can no longer get it on center stand bc its too low. I still have my stock exhaust, and I will probably do what you did. did you have to bend the tubing at all at where you slipped it over the header? I ask this, because i have to cut both of my headers before the round out and go under the frame bc the go 2-1 so they go to the right side. Just wondering.

I hope they turn out as good as yours

Re: 1983 kz750 twin (strap-on sally/trick 13) new fenders!!!

for the last 2 weeks ive been riding the bike in the wet, very carefully....and its been pretty hairy...i decided after the horrible weather we've we've had of late....and the more bad weather which is due to follow, i decided it was time too take the bike off the road till i go to thailand in a month... i also replaced my starter motor in my van so now i can go to where the bikes garage is to work on it... the big bonus here is that i can get some decent work done because i dont have to ride it home the same day.
i took some crappy iphone pics today just for progress analysis so here it goes
poor mans bike lift!!!
IMG_0414.jpg

i have ordered some pods so i thought ide take out the airbox and see what i could do with the wiring.....
here are photos of each side......before
IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

the airbox actually supports the carbs so i made up a bracket from some 4mm ally to stop the stresses of "vibing" carbs, it could damage the diaphragms if the carbs were to 'bounce'..... over a bump or something.
i will take this bracket back off and finish it properly "speed holes/matt black"
IMG_0418.jpg

trying out some options with the electrics
IMG_0419.jpg

heard you guys like a gaping hole!?
IMG_0420.jpg

check out my firestorm.....
IMG_0415.jpg

and finally as it sits at the end of the day..........just chilling
IMG_0421.jpg

heres the most exciting thing!!!!!!

IMG_0412.jpg

my new front end!!!!!
decided ill throw this 04 r1 usd set on......y not! love the look of the usd's
they will require the use of some usd fork extensions..... as the fork difference in length is about 4 inches.... (let alone wheel size)

my biggest debate with myself is what to do whith the wheels??????
options arent going to be easy and require professional engineering.......i am aware of the can of worms that awaits...yet eager to jump in....
the options are
1. stock wheels 16 and 19 (painted) matched up to 04 r1 disks with custom axle etc....
2. r1 wheels (17's)
3. building some custom spoked wheel set-up (motard style)

so many pros and cons either way..... ill let you ponder them....

Re: "STRAP-ON SALLY" new progress/wheel thinking (1983 kz750 twin)

i'm going to use the original wheels..... good idea swivel with the single brake....i mean if they can pull up a 300kmh speed machine on a dime. then 1 of them will be plenty on my lazy ass slow-poker.......plus ill tell all the peeps that i switched to single brake for "weight reduction" hahaha
i like the idea of the hub cab... the rims look sweet as. so i want to show them off (love those enkei's)...
remove and clean them....repaint all the black, then polish the lip and the side cut spoke detail.....mmmmm

the only thing that kinda throws me off is the 16 inch rear (drum) i would love another 1 or 2 inches of diameter on the rear just to even things out....

but the whole 16/19/usd thing surely would be a conversation starter....

swivel..... i feel like a noob. whats the difference between a ground axle and machined axle??
and thanks for the interest and feedback......keep it coming....(im sure you will)

Posted by: Swivel
« on: Today at 04:14:37 » Insert Quote
Y'r rear end looks more Bratty than a Bratstyle bike on a Brat Style bean festival day at Brat Style's shop.Leave it alone.

you're a funny bastard..... that naughty little fender will be getting a rub up......

got any photo's or links to these bad ass hub caps you speak of? im very intrigued

as far as tyres go i was thinking about firestones

just kidding

maybe some avon roadriders or venoms...???? i wanted to use a proper radial tyre.....in standard 130/90-16 and 100/90-19...
i would love some dual purpose tyres........but alas i cant seem to find any in these sizes.
anyone have any feedback or ideas..............ehhherm. swivel......

hey guys what you think of using this front tyre as a rear......????

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dunlop-D427-Harley-Davidson-130-90-16-Tyre-tyres-/350530646159?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519d41308f#ht_837wt_956

would look the goods with one of these up front

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190646838979?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_971

im really liking the bike man!! keep it up :)

ok swivel no k180's then........
how about this pirelli on the front?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIRELLI-SCORPION-TRAIL-DUAL-PURPS-FRONT-TYRE-100-90-19-/330578489248?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf8036fa0#ht_875wt_907

ahah those hubs do look cool.... i would obviosly only be doing at the back.....

oh and swivel i think ive gone back to the twin disc front........(i want twins coz ill still run drum rear and it came with twins.....so ill keep twins) even though its overkill.
also rather than make a new axle could i not use the r1 axle.....and get new wheel bearings with a bigger id?? then just use some custom wheel spacer?? speedo drive dont matter coz i dont use a speedo....

thanks jolloelstoner........melba is sick too man......

Check out some of the bridgestone trail wing line of tires.

Im going with the TW 42's on my brat tracker sort of build, may be a little aggresive for you but there is a few different models.

The avon distanzia is probably exactly what your looking for but may be a bit expensive.

So far im loving the build though, its coming along great.

Keep the updates coming!

I am running a Bridgestone Trailwing 39 on my brat/bobber and I like it so far. Have probably 3000 miles on it at this point and it will handle anything I will do. I am not a really agressive rider, but I don't poke around either...

2011-10-24_19-51-28_935.jpg

YMMV

i have lucked out bigtime..... had nothing but rain lately so im glad the bike is off the road......that old font tyre is getting quite sketchy...should have the new one by next week....
its been good too be back in the van...

here are just some quick snaps of todays progress.....

cut out the slot on the carb brace.....(the tank has a tongue which slides in....rubber mounted)
speed holes n blacked out
DSC_0007-1.jpg

then de-tabbed the rear subframe......and tidied up some of the cables.....opting for solder and heatshrink as opposed to the cable connectors.....i left the old seat mounts because i want to use the old seat on long trips......new ground cable too beacause the old one was about to break.
DSC_0009-1.jpg

so when i changed the front tyre i thought ide freshun up the wheel aswell......cranked out the the old bench grinder with the polishing setup on it....after abit of sanding with the mouse (of coarse)......new layer of paint (rattlecans)......it looks good as new (probably better).....
check the comparo

front
DSC_0001-1.jpg

vs

old rear
DSC_0002-1.jpg

i also took a shot of the new dummy light setup that i made.....

DSC_0003-1.jpg

just some 3mm ally.....also removed the ignition key replaced with swith and hidden kill switch......

also thought ide post up how it was looking while i got the new front tyre on......
i love the look of the slammed front end and spokes......
decided to go for the more legal option for tail/brake light and license plate....

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Re: "STRAP-ON SALLY" led dummy lights....fresh front wheel (1983 kz750 twin)

haha i always enjoy your 2c..... i like the mags too...... its more of a tough look i think

Re: (kz750 twin brutstyle) "STRAP-ON SALLY" by sinbad

FUCK!

when i was spraying my front rim...the occy strap that was holding it up snapped!!! resulting in rim dropping to the ground from 1m or so.....
i straightened it back out again as good as i could.....
got the tyre fitted, i showed the guys at the shop the ding....they said it was minor and that the tyre would seat up anyway. so i pump it up to an unknown psi with a hand pump and think nothing of it....

heres the problem... i come to work on the new headlight and after 5 days the tyre is flat!!!! is it the valve? is it the ding? im pretty pissed off that old occy strap broke......now i may have to get a new rim??? anyone have any ideas??
sorry i got no pics as its already on the bike....

i'm really liking the slammed look as well...the last picture has me convinced this thing is turning the right direction.

thanks casper...... i cant wait to get that r1 front end on,thus slammin it with the stock front wheel size.....

ok so i pumped up the tyre to 60 psi and it was was flat within an hour and a half.....damn.....
but as soon as i woke up this morning i thought....."tube"......sweet, so ill just throw a tube in there.....
(waiting for swivels no doubt opinion).......fire away with your 2c's..... im all ears...

did alot of cutting and simplifying and resoldering of the loom..... re-routed the indicator wiring front and back so its all hidden and nice....removing alot of bulk.....

i did want a smaller headlight and while i was searching through the garage i found one from my cbr250... nice n small so i quickly searched the garage for something to house it... the plug also fitted straight up...high low beam both more powerful than the standard 7"...i was pretty surprised...
i used one of the standard exhaust cans to house the lens.... i do like recycling parts.... then i used the old front guard to create a mini bikini-ish fairing....which hides all the wiring to the leds..... ill also say that i am now a master of heatshrinking and soldering cables.... very satisfying when completed.....
then i took on the task of wiring the new left hand control.... half done at the moment.....

anyway pics tell you more than words....
heres some of getting the position of the light......then as she sits now.....
IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

i thought the headlight was initially a little small, but with that visor/fairing/deflector piece on it looks good. the dash is really nice.

nice idea....have you tried mounting the headlight as far "in" as possible to see what it would look like and then move the shield up towards the lens to make it more flush?

why not raise the forks through the triples? i have a kz650 and moved them up that way and I like the more aggressive look, unless your bars are in the way...i have clip-ons.

Kind of reminds me of a Buell headlight/visor setup.
I like it.

@casper: the headlight will be staying in its original position... as its only really a temporary setup while i work out putting on the 04 r1 front end... also if the shield moves up towards the lens then it will change the angle of the shield thus blocking the view of the idiot lights.....to be honest im more excited about thinking what to do with the r1 front end.... i dont think ill use this headlight setup as its a little to crude for my liking....ill probly use it on another project....as for sliding the forks up through the triples i have dropped about 5mm and because of the drag bars its as far as i can go....considering leaving the standard r1 clipons too....hmmm then i may need rearsets....

@curtis yeah cheers mate....it kinda reminds me of something vrodish/buell....i like it because its original and different...but i do have other ideas planned so i doubt itll stay...haha

Back
Top Bottom