'74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

Thanks guys. I took a break from working on the XL today and took old Luna out for a good romp, last ride in New England before the move. She's running like a champ. Hit a good straight and wailed on it, next stop light I noticed something was up with the rear brake lever.

f47206e65f6b3bc51f833dcf33c56185.jpg

Yeah, that'll do it. Felt fine the whole 1:30 ride before that, no slop or noticeable looseness. I wonder if something just sheared off or vibrated loose. Never messed with those ends of the Tarozzis outside of making sure they were tight when I installed them. Weird shit. Hope I can get a replacement for that piece.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Hope this helps http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/lever-tip-knurled-02-00141-877-p.asp

send your pic to http://www.fastfromthepast.com , he sells individual parts.

Gonna have to double the torque on mine. :eek:

11494-230716174640.png

Cool. Glad I can just get that front pedal assembly. I'll put some Loc tite on both sides before the next ride ::)

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/02-0017
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/02-0014
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/02-0067

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - Workin' out the kinks

adventurco said:
I'm mostly confused as to why the idle speed screw only slows the idle down to about 1,600-1800. The throttle itself is backed off all the way, cables aren't engaging it. I've been able to bring the idle down to ~800 and essentially stall the engine with that in the past.

Don't you have modified carbs?
The fuel screw needs 'playing' with, stock setting no longer works.
Anywhere from 1/2 to 3 turns out (and maybe even different each side because of production variations in drilling’s)

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - Workin' out the kinks

crazypj said:
Don't you have modified carbs?
The fuel screw needs 'playing' with, stock setting no longer works.
Anywhere from 1/2 to 3 turns out (and maybe even different each side because of production variations in drilling’s)

I had pretty good luck dialing it in actually, that post was from back before the carbs were synced (and maybe before the diaphragm and throttle plates were fixed)

Brake pedal ordered, should be here this week. Fired her up for the first time in Texas and she don't like the humidity ;D I will have to do some tweaking to the air/fuel screws for sure, had to crack the throttle to keep her going. Same elevation, much diff temp and humidity, so well see where we need to be at.

Got a little checklist of stuff I want to get done before next ride:

-Rebuild front forks/check fork oil - Gotta fix the front end stiffness problem
-Lace up a new front hoop
-Fix front brake squeak (any suggestions?)
-Set up a better rubber isolator for the speedo
-Bend the spare kicker lever I have to get more clearance for rearsets.

loved seeing this bike in person man. Very well built piece!

Whoa, that bike is gorgeous man, the tank and seat lines look GREAT together!

Attachments

• IMG_4127.jpg_thumb.png
    IMG_4127.jpg_thumb.png
    987.4 KB · Views: 1,036
hurco550 said:
loved seeing this bike in person man. Very well built piece!

MitchellSK said:
Whoa, that bike is gorgeous man, the tank and seat lines look GREAT together!

Thank you much gentlemen. I'll have a few updates to her in the coming weeks.

She successfully made the journey to/from Barber, and brought me to and from the park all weekend without a hitch. She blew a fork seal on the way home, no big deal since I never rebuilt the front forks and was planning on doing so anyways. Plus I have some gaiters to throw on that I've had for over a year. Eric (deviant) hooked me up with the hoop from the Fallin' Ditch Hell Ride, so the wobbly front rim will finally be replaced. I grabbed a Nissin caliper and matching master on the cheap from the swap meet, and I am considering a brake upgrade while I'm in there. That will remain to be seen.

All 3 of the sh**ty SS Allen bolts holding on the stator cover stripped out before I put the timing light on it last weekend, so I need to replace those bolts and o-rings and cut a new gasket to fix the drip drip of oil.

So more kinks to be worked out soon. Here's a pic of the ol' girl in the DTT display tent alongside some other fantastic member builds.

c5d6895c529cdd6efb0905594ebdbf4f.jpg

And if I didn't have enough projects going on, look what made its way home with us from Alabama. The good news is, this one runs, I just got the clutch unstuck today and the battery had just enough life left in it to bring me down to the end of the street and back.

39b7e6bd9c51eb28539098778743c622.jpg

adventurco said:
And if I didn't have enough projects going on, look what made its way home with us from Alabama. The good news is, this one runs, I just got the clutch unstuck today and the battery had just enough life left in it to bring me down to the end of the street and back.

39b7e6bd9c51eb28539098778743c622.jpg

needs a build thread =)

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Boomerang

advCo said:
I said I was going to take a break but I just can't, I'm too close to the finish (starting) line XD.

A couple detail shots of the paint

92a4f3702e0062723737f9adaced82b2.jpg

e1391b2afd6e987fe0a1e4a297976b20.jpg

8ee934d3e2408d3fbca3a895e9053103.jpg

Started with the wiring and routing cables. I have some excess cable to lose on the clutch cable, trying to lose it around the headlight but anyone got a tried and true method for routing that cable with clipons? It's a stock 360 cable.

This is beautiful. I love the color!

mjenson17 said:
This is awesome! Did you do a side by side of before & after?

Thanks! I don't have a before and after pic but I know there's one at the beginning of the thread. Started out as a stock CB360

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

One last update for this old girl. After bringing her to Barber in 2016, the bike blew its fork seals on the trailer ride home and sprayed fork oil all over the road and my old trailer. Once unloaded, I set her under a cover and tucked her away for way too long. Fast forward almost two years, I found a buyer for the bike and had a bunch of crap that needed to be addressed before it was ready to go to a new home.

First off, the seat was trashed. Sitting under a cover had deteriorated the cheap vinyl I used and the butt pad I originally made was only good for about 30 seconds of riding.

So I glassed up a new seat pan and covered it using HD foam and topped with yoga mat. Trek97 did a helluva job sewing a seat cover from a pattern I made.

The icing on the cake was that while shuffling around my too-many-bikes in my tiny shop, I dropped her and cracked the tail on the BMW’s engine guards. Threw on some g/flex and filler to hide the sins, and managed to get a day with less than 80% humidity to paint. I taped off the gold and only sprayed the left hand side as thats where the damage was. Top coated the entire thing with a few layers of clear, which had to be sprayed on a super humid day and resulted in the clear looking like rhino liner. A good wet sand took it down and some buffing shined her right up. The pic is after the fix, the bottom left hand corner had a pretty significant crack.

Attachments

• IMG_9490.JPG
    IMG_9490.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_9675.JPG
    IMG_9675.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_9784.JPG
    IMG_9784.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_9634.JPG
    IMG_9634.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 244
Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

Other fun things...the under frame exhaust mount had broken and the headers somehow rotted to shit. Had to re-weld a support and de rust and paint the entire thing.

The tank liner had failed after sitting for some time with fuel in it. As it was POR-15 I grabbed some paint stripper, a length of chain and went to town. Really reminded me how much I hate cleaning fuel tanks. But I was able to get it clean enough and de rusted, threw on some fuel filters and good to go. I even managed to not screw up the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_9723.JPG
    IMG_9723.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_9724.JPG
    IMG_9724.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 229
Back
Top Bottom