Honda CM125 'tracker' first bike/first build

Hey y'all,

So maybe not a complete 'atrocity' then?

Thanks again for the tips, however, the mounts for the front fender have been cut off (as I'd seen done on larger bikes) my thought being if forks can hold the power of those without a brace, with the (lack of) power of this little thing they shouldn't budge? Is it that the smaller bikes will have disproportionately smaller/weaker forks and always need that support? Or is just that it's 'better' with a brace in there?

As for my spray painting, the frame was going to be sprayed black anyways, and if all y'all are worried bout is it flaking off, I can deal with that. Haha it was a corner that was cut due to lack of confidence in my ability to get an engine out and back in again. With what I've learnt on this project that would be task i feel I could tackle next time round.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything else 'deadly' that I've missed. My wife wasn't happy about me getting a bike in the first place, she'll be real pissed if I die. haha
Chris

Thanks again for the tips, however, the mounts for the front fender have been cut off (as I'd seen done on larger bikes) my thought being if forks can hold the power of those without a brace, with the (lack of) power of this little thing they shouldn't budge? Is it that the smaller bikes will have disproportionately smaller/weaker forks and always need that support?

Stand in front of the bike and grab the handlebars with your hands and the wheel with your legs and twist it around. Next, imagine what it can do with some real-world beatin' up applied. I know that there are people who run 'em that way, but I would not.

Hey Rich Ard,

Yeah man, you're totally right. Got a good bit of sway in there. I'll look into it.

I appreciate the constructive critism, dude.

Chris

VonYinzer said:
All good points man. Keep at it. Everything these dudes are saying can be fixed easily.

Also, don't be afraid to tell someone to fuck off here if you think they're being a dick. ;)

Everyones here to help. Just doesn't seem like it sometimes.

I'd rather be a dick who tells a noob he's created a disaster and is being lazy than be a prick who doesn't. Also, i didn't realize this was the "my little pony" forum where we don't hurt each other's feelings...shitbag.

milehigh said:
I'd rather be a dick who tells a noob he's created a disaster and is being lazy than be a prick who doesn't. Also, i didn't realize this was the "my little pony" forum where we don't hurt each other's feelings...shitbag.

Chill out man. I was just kidding around. But, to be frank... You did jump on the dudes nuts with both feet. Everything you criticized you did with an attitude. No need for that shit. I know you had good intentions but there's no need to be arrogant or demeaning. I'm just glad he's a good sport and didn't get dejected.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a My Little Pony marathon to watch.

Ha... Yeah man. Ignore us.

Seriously though, everything you'd need to do to get the bike solid is pretty basic. The 125 is a real simple machine. Do you have access to a welder? As far as the front end, you're kinda screwed at the moment having removed the mounts. Maybe lookninto a new set of fork legs or having a clamp on brace machined.

VonYinzer said:
Chill out man. I was just kidding around. But, to be frank... You did jump on the dudes nuts with both feet. Everything you criticized you did with an attitude. No need for that shit. I know you had good intentions but there's no need to be arrogant or demeaning. I'm just glad he's a good sport and didn't get dejected.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a My Little Pony marathon to watch.

Just thought a little bitch slap of sense might do him some good. it was constructive, but also meant to be a little harsh, because being lazy with a motorcycle is just plain stupid--cutting corners will get you dead. anywho, yes welcome to the forum chris, hopefully you've learned a thing or two already. Fix her up and if you have questions about something, ask before you cut. lol

See you at Bronycon michael.

VonYinzer said:
Ha... Yeah man. Ignore us.

Seriously though, everything you'd need to do to get the bike solid is pretty basic. The 125 is a real simple machine. Do you have access to a welder? As far as the front end, you're kinda screwed at the moment having removed the mounts. Maybe lookninto a new set of fork legs or having a clamp on brace machined.

This will help you: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=fork+brace&_sacat=0&_from=R40

and as always, Dimecity has plenty of hoop options for the rear, should you wish to explore.

My apologies if my candor was upsetting, use the tears as lube. lol

Morning,

No tears at my end. I'm not into getting into name calling and arguing on the internet (that shits for teenagers).

However, Milehigh, no need for 'bitch slaps' either- you aint my momma.

I'll always listen to 'words to the wise' from people with more experience than me, and all the points raised will defonately be considered and addressed as appropriate. I haven't got a welder, but a couple buddys of mine do that shit for a living, so if the frame starts looking like it needs more support, I'm sure I'll be able to sort something out.

As for fork braces/fenders, its not something I realized you couldn't live without. I'll look into clamp on braces (like the one Milehigh linked), do some reading on the matter, and if nothing else keep an eye out for some fresh legs.

Thanks for having me y'all.
Chris

I rode for years without a front fender, on bigger bikes with a lot heavier fork tubes, sliders, axles and triple trees. It can be done, it looks cool, if you ride really slow or just commute, it should be fine. On a small bike... uh uh... not going to do it, I even put the front fender back on my 650 single, the engine vibration alone can kick the front forks out of true.

The retired dirt track racer I'm bringing back from the dead had a heavy aluminum fork brace on it. Between steel sliders on a 35mm Ceriani track spec fork. Even with an I thought wimpy (turns out a 4.00-19 50/50 TT puts out a LOT of side torque) front tire, it cracked the aluminum brace at some point in its career. Brace will be replaced with a steel one since the bike is off road only.

Can you even pass your M.O.T. inspection without a front fender? I know a friend with a Suzuki Savage (652cc single) was denied his plate until he put a fender back on his bike. I know where I live, turn signals are NOT required, open exhaust is allowed, no handlebar height restriction and you only need one mirror. As soon as I cross the state line, I'm subject to equipment violation tickets unless the bike is on a trailer or in the back of my truck. You may want to double check your national and regional equipment regulations/requirements just to be sure you can enjoy your new bike.

I've been riding/modifying on pavement motorcycles for 25 years, and there are guys here that make me feel like a noob fairly frequently. If in doubt, ask, that's why we do this. I'm NOT a Honda guy, I'll take all their help I can get.

Hey Scruffy,

Thanks for the info.

I can't imagine this bike ever going much faster than 'slow' haha. it'll be just for getting to work or popping to the store when the weathers nice (so in England terms maybe 2-3 times a year) but I get what you're saying about the smaller bikes maybe not handling the lack of a brace/fender as well as something with fatter forks, etc.

As for the MOT, as far as I understood it (so correct me if anyone knows better) over here, if something is on the bike, it has to be working. So you don't HAVE to have turn signals, but if you do, they got to be working right. And for the front fender, I had read that if there a place for one then it should be on, but if there are no mounts then its not manatory. This is, in part, what lead me to remove the mounts. I guess the thinking is, they don't want to pass a bike where the fender has just fallen off due to disrepair or something, but if the bike was designed to not have one, they aren't as concerned?

I don't know how that would effect the fork brace issue. I hadn't seen anything relating to fork braces in MOT check lists, and maybe the brace would consitute a 'fender mount' and require you to run the fender as well (specially if you had made the brace out of the original fender?) So maybe, I'll have to end up making a little stubby fender/brace.

We'll see. Hopefully I can get a pre-MOT check or something by someone whose qualified to see if anything will fail it, so I can put it right before the test.

Thanks again for the input guys,
Chris

Not being a dick... But building a bike under the assumption that you'll only ride slow and infrequently is dangerous. That's like a police officer not wearing his bullet proof vest because he probobly won't get shot. Take a little extra time and do things right. Its worth it when you compare the hassle of fitting a brace to the hassle of ending up in the guard rail. That said, its always your decision as to how much risk you're willing to take on. But, for me... I've been beaten up in car and motorcycle wrecks enough in my life because I cut corners or made poor decisions before hitting the road. I don't want to end up in the ER again if I can help it.

Again man, not trying to beat ya up but you have to prepare for the worst case scenario before it smacks you in the head.

Back
Top Bottom