So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...(50+ Build Links!)

Re: So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...

Maritime when you say ..."We ..... got richer mixing carbs with easier to change parts"....Can you expand on that?...maybe I need you to find me some Canuck carbs ;)

Everybody just stop reading this post now, cuz the rest is gonna be search keywords to bring as many into the fold as possible.

CM CB 400 450 400T 400Ti 400Tii 400N 400E 400C 400A CM400 CB400 CM400T CM400C CM400E CM400A CM400 CB 400ACB400 CB400T CB400Ti CB400Tii CB450 CM450 CB450T Hawk Nighthawk Night Super Dream SuperDream Rebel Cafe Racer Bobber Tracker Rat Build Project

I know the canadian carbs were/are different. They don't have a bunch of the emissions items that stop the richening of the mixture, the air screws, needles etc. I am not 100% sure of all the differences but when messing with them they don;t exactly match any of the Clymers diagrams. I believe that all the emissions crap is removable on the US carbs, and there is one spot you can drill out?? It is a bit fuzzy now as it was 2 years ago I messed with the carbs and have not had to pull them since, stabil and drained float bowls for winter sotrage keep them from getting dirty. that and ethanol free gas ;D. I will see if I can look up the differences. I sent my last set of spare carbs to a member here last summer.

Time for some more inspiration......

Stumbled on this nice 1978 CB400T by Twinline out of Seattle WA.

15-1978-Honda-CB400T-Cafe_Screen.jpg

I don't see many that rock fairings...

Demello400SS.jpg

cafe400014.jpg

Lastly....What are these wheels on nobudgetracers "SuperDream" cb400N?

img-2015.jpg

devon said:
I love that twinline bike

I agree Devon it is nice, The Big Headlight, The Low Bars, The Tank (Reformed at front/bottom?) Nice and simple design. I wish they had more pics on thier website. Here is a link to thier web, there are more pics of other interestin/nice builds.

http://new.twinlinemotorcycles.com/gallery/

Devon I have seen your name around DTT, are you building a bike?

Re: So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...(43+ Build Links!)

Wow, are these getting more popular or What??? or am I just getting better at diggin 'em up?

3 new links on page 1, Brings it to OVER 43 Bikes!

The 3 new ones are

JobCran92
jayfromjay
dragula

Wheels in the last pic are off a cbx550, Kind of rare late 80's model.

The lines on that Twinlines bike are perfect. I now know how I am going to do my seat, but with a rounded tail. What tank is in it?

I'm from Seattle and have been in to twinline a few times. That's the owner's person daily rider. It doesn't look much like that anymore...he's always changing it. He has that and a bob based on the same bike. Both sick.

Frankenfe said:
Time for some more inspiration......

Stumbled on this nice 1978 CB400T by Twinline out of Seattle WA.

15-1978-Honda-CB400T-Cafe_Screen.jpg

bbelka: Thanks for your input. What brought you into this thread? Are you building one of these?

Next time your in TwinLine ask him to give you some info on the bike. Better yet ask him to join this thread and post more pics and some of the Bobber too.

baconpocket: Thanks for contributing. After looking at the thread, I remember seeing it before, but had forgotten about it when putting this together.

I added it to the main list.

Maritime: Thanks for playing "Name that wheel"

Frankenfe said:
Devon I have seen your name around DTT, are you building a bike?

I am not building a bike but commuting on a 1978 CB400t Canadian Spec. Love the thing to death and I think they're good looking bikes despite what all the 350/750 owners on here say.

I will be doing a build over the fall/winter this year and you will be the first to know when I start the build ;D

Devon

Re: So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...(44+ Build Links!)

devon said:
............ you will be the first to know when I start the build ;D

Just what I wanted to hear!

Frankenfe: Sort of. I have one that I've been sort of working on for a while. I didn't really do a full "build" as that's not really my style...I like to keep it junkyard, so to speak. I got mine almost 2 years ago for $400. It was an engine in a frame, 2 wiring harnesses, complete unmangled controls, a seat (the one in the pic), clubmans and a tank. Everything seemed to be there except signals (I like to be seen...), he had it hooked up to a battery so that he could start it, and all 6 gears seemed to work. I have taken all of the frame/suspension/brake, etc. components off and regreased/cleaned/rebuilt as needed. It really only took a long time because I bought a house around the same time I got the bike and have been largely preoccupied with that. Also, there have been a few head scratchers along the way, like the ignition switch that appeared to match but after disassembling/cleaning/inspecting/reassembling several times and subsequently ignoring my "wiring issue" for several months I discovered did not, in fact, match the wiring of the bike (it turned on only the ignition and starter circuits). Anyway, I've been riding it for the last few weeks now and, once I get the correct jets in the carbs, she should be looking pretty good (runs quite rich right now because the only jets I could get are probably about 2 sizes bigger than they need to be...and I'm broke).

There's another pic of it earlier in this thread...about page 7.

Here's a pic of it from the other day with my buddy's CB350 (which is one of my previous bikes and was over for a tune-up/visit).
IMG_0665.jpg

bbelka, thanks for the response. Is yours the black one with the fairing earlier in the thread? If so looks like you changed the exhaust? & yes I think yours can be considered a "build" as much as any on here - modifying to our personal taste within our own time, finances and abilities.

No, it's the one on page 6 of 10 (at least with my settings)...so it's a little over halfway though the thread. Same exhaust. I've only bought necessities for this one: front tire, battery, tail lights, front brake rebuild stuff, rear brake shoes. After jets comes some sort of gauge that at least reads speed (I don't know where they came from but they're just for the appearance of legality). The other pic is a kinda grainy side pic. It shows the open center, pods and the like. However, I have since discovered a large hunk of body filler where it looks like maybe someone thought that they'd pound in leg indents (and another seemingly pointless dent) and then gave up. So there's now a couple of sizable dents in the tank that are bare metal. Looks kinda badass, though...might just leave it... 8)
IMG_0663.jpg

Ahhhh....Ok, gettin hard for me to keep track, and by the way nuthin' wrong with bad ass!

http://e3mc.us/E3MC/79_CM400.html

bikeexif is doing a feature on a cb550 from this builder right now, so i thought i'd check out their other projects. looks like this cm400 is in progress. i thought about making a flushmounted seat on the brokeback, but it necessitates loosing the clubmans. maybe a future iteration

IMG_2522.jpg

Got it all put together only thing left is to jet the carbs.

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 376

jachana said:
Got it all put together only thing left is to jet the carbs.

Very Clean!...Let me know how the jetting goes. It will be the last thing I do after I get mine back together, I have been taking notes on what sizes others have used and say works. Can't remember what mods you have done on exhaust, (Muffler type & if you removed the crossover?) I can see you have cone/pods.

Back
Top Bottom