So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...(50+ Build Links!)

Frankenfe

Coast to Coast
Many of us who have bought one after exploring the sometimes referred to as "Broke Back" or "Stamped & Loopy" frames, have asked ourselved the same question. Many ignored the Frame lines and pushed forward with thier Cafe builds. Some recognized a potential for a soft or rigid bobber. Some a clean fun Brat.

I chose the the Cafe route and my thread is listed first below as "FRANKENFE", followed by my favorites in bold and many other interesting builds. JUST CLICK ON THE NAME, IT WILL OPEN THE RESPECTIVE ARTICLE or BUILD THREAD.

I would be interested in other CM400 CB400T (CM450 CB200T sister bikes) build threads, yours if I have missed it, or others you may know of. I'd Like threads with as many pics as possible, and have accomplished some changes and not obviously died before contributing some inspiration (OLD threads). Send me a PM. If all else fails, feel free to post a link right in the thread.

Enjoy.

FRANKENFE

oldskool's "Pipeburn" Feature

Sin City, "400-CR"

SwapMeetLouie

Tweakin "Half Sack"

Tweakin "Half Sack, Completed"

silvergrau "From Spain"

byrdman76 "Hawk"

Black Motor Covenant "A-Bomb"

Lomanja "Bored"

stylzracing "Bobber"

Maritime "Get Her Done"

"Much Much Go" CB250T

nobudgetracer "Superdream"

RLHPhoto's 1980 CM400T

Furyphoto's "Precious"

SimJen's, "80 CB400 Hawk"

fresh c's "Ugly Duckling CM400T"

Justin Holt "CB400T Project"

coldfusion76 "My First"

Mr Morchat's Cafe Racer Blog

tsbigdog "Resurection"

Silverstone "WTF"

"WTF" on "DTT"

Ziggy "Budgeted CM400e"

Spacmanspif300 "Cafe of Glory"

kodiak "Hope I"

kodiak "Hope II"

jpazit "DLH Project CM450"

Alchemist "Not Really"

M3hl "On the Carpet"

MarcW "Fighter-ish"

joeybaggadonuts "CB400 Project 'Hm.."

Memphis

dcwp "Thunder Toad"

Imapitbull "Ortiz"

Hardy

BaconPocket "Broke Ass"

Aetsh "Bobbin' Chop"

colpumpkinnuts

jachana

Watson007

c_soto "Chicago"

ericngsta "My Turn"

mattman

MarcW "Sh!tbox"

1.BillyT "Bobber"

yayuppp "Lucy"

Pierre Audette CB400T Electric.

Dragula "Cafe Bobber Bastard Child"

jayfromjay "CB400T Basement Find"

JobCran92 "CB400N Cafe Build"

bobby4prezz "CM400 Adventure Bike"

Ponycarman's "First Bike" CM400T

Re: So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...

Right on! Thanks Frankenfe, this fall you'll be able to add my newly acquired cb400t1 to that list. I find myself using the search feature a LOT and digging through so many posts to find any information/inspiration for the CB400. It's gonna take some work, but it's my first bike and I absolutely love it.

Devon 8)

Mines Done!

Attachments

• 032213163904.jpg
    032213163904.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 27,200

Mine's not there :-X But that's ok, the thread is titled 450 cause I swapped the motor but is started as a 81 CM400T. ;D I have seen the build for the yellow with the CX tank, it's on ADV rider. The second one down, black one may be a members here but it doesn;t have a build thread.

Added to Main List

Maritime - Get Her Done
Much Much Go
Silverstone - WTF
sacnaspif300 - Cafe of Glory

How about this one ...Barely recognizable 1980 CB400t

1980honda_cb400t_hawk.jpg

Frankenfe said:
How about this one ...Barely recognizable 1980 CB400t

1980honda_cb400t_hawk.jpg

hey, i've seen that bike.
it was pretty cool. far from finished.

very very good job of restauration and transformation. i like your seat and the quick start. Beautifull sound.

I seriously believe that in time to come Comstar wheels are going to be a sought after design classic.
Some inspired builds in that list, nice library you've compiled Franky.
:)

Hey Frankenfe, why are some of the links bold and some not?

Devon

Erskine, you are probably right about the Coms & Reverse Coms. It is funny because I went through all kinds of trouble to have spokes on my CM. If the rear had been an 18" instead of 16", I may have gone a whole different direction. I did save a pair though.

As the CB350s etc. dry up, I think we will see more people getting serious about these bikes. remember they are as old as 33 years old!
Erskine said:
I seriously believe that in time to come Comstar wheels are going to be a sought after design classic.
Some inspired builds in that list, nice library you've compiled Franky.
:)

I've got a 78 CB400TII project going.... slowly. I post more on the Hondatwins site; faster responses that are more specific. I'm in the repair stage right now.

thanks for putting this together. is there a way to make this the top hit whenever cm400 or cb400t is searched? kind of like a sticky

No problem Baconpocket, I felt it needed to be done. As far as making it a priority or sticky that is up to the site administrator I guess.

I hope you did not mind, as with many others, I took the liberty of abbreviating your thread name to simply "Broke Ass".

baconpocket said:
thanks for putting this together. is there a way to make this the top hit whenever cm400 or cb400t is searched? kind of like a sticky

Frankenfe said:
No problem Baconpocket, I felt it needed to be done. As far as making it a priority or sticky that is up to the site administrator I guess.

I hope you did not mind, as with many others, I took the liberty of abbreviating your thread name to simply "Broke Ass".

Only problem is it describes a lot of us here ;D I know I am a "Broke ass" My bike dumped over in the driveway and i was in a panic that I may not have the funds to fix it. But thankfully it is just cosmetic and can get fixed over the winter.

Devon, Start taking pics now, if you are like me before you know it it won't be recognizable. Have you decided what direction you are going to go?

devon said:
Right on! Thanks Frankenfe, this fall you'll be able to add my newly acquired cb400t1 to that list. I find myself using the search feature a LOT and digging through so many posts to find any information/inspiration for the CB400. It's gonna take some work, but it's my first bike and I absolutely love it.

Devon 8)

Are you restoring or building? Cafe? Bobber?, Brat? Tracker?.......Start a build thread on DTT.

yayuppp said:
I've got a 78 CB400TII project going.... slowly. I post more on the Hondatwins site; faster responses that are more specific. I'm in the repair stage right now.

yayuppp said:

remember to post up if you need parts. Also, don't limit searches for just CB/CM400's A lot of the same parts for these carried all the way through the 450 nighthawk range and into the late 80's I think right up to 89. Only thing that changed was the body panels and maybe the forks from hydraluic to air/hydraulic.

I'm making a cafe, but right now I have to get it running. The previous owner threw away the ignition coil and it didn't come with an igntion switch. Money is tight right now so it's moving realllllllllllly slow. Still rebuilding the carbs. The primary main jet was siezed in one carb so I drilled it out. I've had the second soaking in pentrating oil for some time now. This site is great for getting ideas and inspiration. I have a thread floating around here somewhere... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=24308.0 I'll update it.

Back
Top Bottom