Front chain sprocket tight on seal??

losacco

My RD350 new front chain sprocket seems to be tight against seal when I hand tighten the nut. Any ideas?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2832.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2832.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 562
  • thumbnail_IMG_2833.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2833.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 569
Is it on the spline... it looks like your not on the spline... the sprocket should never be tight against anything

It should he hard up against the spacer that fits inside that seal. If the spacer is just resting on the outside of the seal, oil it and carefully slide it into place. The seal has to stretch slightly to fit around the spacer.

New seal? I bet it is and your right the spacer is prowd but I don't think the sprocket should get tight

Can't tell just looking at the pick, but that spacer needs to sit directly on the inner race of the bearing behind the seal. (that does not look like a factory seal to me but that should not matter at all) The sprocket sits directly on the spacer, the locking plate sits directly on the sprocket and should fit on the same splines as the sprocket. The locking plate will only barely engage the splines, but it must positively engage them. The recess on the nut goes toward the engine. This is so the locking plate is clamped tightly to the sprocket, and the whole works is clamped tightly against the inner bearing race. Once it is tight, you can bend over the locking plate. The recess in the nut is there so that the nut does not run out of threads before clamping everything tight. Lots of bikes have the drive sprockets that "float" on the drive splines, but these bikes are not set up that way. The sprocket and all related components are clamped tightly together.

Remove the spacer and determine that it is indeed resting on the inner bearing race when installed. It looks like you have enough spline exposed for the sprocket and lock plate, so make sure the lock plate stays properly engaged on the splines when you install the nut. It is quite easy to have it move and rest on top of the splines which might be the only problem. When you take the nut back off, the splines on the locking plate should look flawless. If not, you have crunched them between the nut and top of the drive shaft splines.

The threads of the drive shaft should be just a bit proud of the nut when hand tight. If not, there is something wrong. I can't recall the correct torque of that nut, but it is not a lot. I hit it very gently (in neutral holding the sprocket with a rag) with an impact and bend over the tab. The nut should rotate only slightly from hand tight.

Back
Top Bottom