Worth Replacing Original Headbolts with Stainless Steel Allen Bolts?

The Last V8 Interceptor

cheap, good, easy... pick 2
I recently bought a set of stainless allen bolts for my '75 cb750 Super Sport. I just changed the gasket on the alternator cover a few days ago, and when taking out the original bolts I noticed the previous owner had used lock-tite or some similar blue substance. I have always heard it is better to use anti-seaze rather than lock-tite on aluminum. I haven't installed the allens yet, but I did replace the bolts on the alternator cover with bolts that weren't stripped (like the originals were). They seem to be sitting fine. My question is... since the previous owner used lock-tite, is it possible that they did this because they didn't know the torque specs and possibly stripped the threads on the engine? I am trying to avoid a situation where I replace the engine bolts and now the bike leaks from certain gaskets because now they are not holding as tight.

Your input is appreciate, as always.

I did change all the engine cover bolts to Allen bolts. It looks better and easier to work with. The only danger with them is that people could over tighten them and damage the aluminum. If the threads on the engine are stripped, you could do a helicoil job since the torque required is not much, and the helicoil will be more than plenty to keep the cover tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't use LocTite. It's unnecessary. A small dab of anti seize is it. Dissimilar metals (SS bolts and aluminum cases) will create issues when moisture gets in without it.

Also... If the bolts you're removing are stripped the threads in the cases may be damaged. Get yourself the proper thread tap and clean them up before reinstalling hardware.

Back
Top Bottom