Nice film bout manufacturing a nice bike

My how things have changed! I noticed some nice runouts and liberal use of German Torque "Gutentight". Nowadays you see sleeves cast into the jugs and a lot of click-off wrenches. Cool to see!

I grew up with these films.
We used to watch them on TV on Saturday mornings. We loved them.
They had films about how steel is made. How a saxophone is made from start to finish.
How plywood is made.

Kids need modern films like these to let them see what their interests are.

theboxrules said:
My how things have changed! I noticed some nice runouts and liberal use of German Torque "Gutentight". Nowadays you see sleeves cast into the jugs and a lot of click-off wrenches. Cool to see!

The torque wrench that clicks when the torque that you have set, is reached, was introduced when I was a jet engine mechanic. That was about 1970 or so.
Not a big deal.

Sleeves are not cast into jugs. Sleeves are part of the jugs OR they are pressed to fit. Usually a pressed to fit is a cast iron cylinder in a aluminum cylinder.

Those Triumphs came before aluminum jugs (cylinders).

donald branscom said:
The torque wrench that clicks when the torque that you have set, is reached, was introduced when I was a jet engine mechanic. That was about 1970 or so.
Not a big deal.

Sleeves are not cast into jugs. Sleeves are part of the jugs OR they are pressed to fit. Usually a pressed to fit is a cast iron cylinder in a aluminum cylinder.

Those Triumphs came before aluminum jugs (cylinders).

I cannot speak to how it was done at the Triumph factory, only from my experience at the Honda engine plant in Ohio where the Accord, Civic and Acura 4 and 6 cylinder and IIRC the Goldwing six cylinder had cast iron sleeves inserted into the aluminum die cast machine for a true cast insert. Click off wrenches are very cool to me, in fact the greatest thing since sliced bread!

I'd almost forgotten those three piece Triumph cranks.

And T100 and Generator (GP racer) had pressed in sleeves in alloy blocks. Older Hondas used a pressed in sleeve but later ones and others used cast sleeves.

very nice, thanks for posting! part 2 & 3 are very sweet as well!
is there something like this for honda cb's too?

Back
Top Bottom