1967 250 Harley/Aermacchi Sprint SS

grcamna5 said:
You mean the cutter size for the Serdi machine? Italian is a special size?
yes the pilot needed for the serdi is an off size. The valves are about 7.5 mm stem diameter.

We needed some good micrometers so Zeke and I spent Saturday pawnshopping. We we 4/5 for Mitutoyo out of 5 pawnshops. After learning how to use and read a micrometer we then checked our neighbor Steve's measurements. Oh the HF digital calipers are as advertised on their accuracy +-.001
07a9e0825413f997b5b836a9b19ba4f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grcamna5 said:
You mean the cutter size for the Serdi machine? Italian is a special size?
this video was shot when we had our first head serdi cut and shows what the pilot guide does. The pilot guide centers the cutter. The cutter is attached to the guide. They use a different size pilot guides depending on the valve stem size. David said to me "hell being Harley I thought it would be a standard valve size." http://youtu.be/-hjWRw5hZfE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grcamna5 said:
success ! Your machinist found the right size pilot,they look NICE. ;D
. :( he needs the pilot to cut the seats

Texasstar said:
. :( he needs the pilot to cut the seats

oh,ok. Well I'll be praying that he find the correct size pilot soon so you can run that nice Italian sweet heart.

Edit: I love small cc motorcycles a Lot considering how hard those little engines work to overcome wind resistance,weight loading,etc. The tuning has to be 'just So' or 'Right on the money' in a manner of speaking.They require lot's of time and patience to get them fine-tuned to get the most out of them but Well Worth it. ;)

Sometimes I don't do a good job of explaining so here is a video showing the complete valve seat cutting process http://youtu.be/QIVj_L1akl4

That was a very careful and nice explanation of that 3-way cutting valve job !
I must bring my parts to the right guy to do it that straightforward as the man in the video. Do you do your own 3-way valve cutting Texasstar ?

grcamna5 said:
That was a very careful and nice explanation of that 3-way cutting valve job !
I must bring my parts to the right guy to do it that straightforward as the man in the video. Do you do your own 3-way valve cutting Texasstar ?
no this is the way we do ours and it is very important to play this music ;) http://youtu.be/W8DSZ8xsp8g

I've heard of Serdi before and now I get a nice view of it ! :) 8) is that an Italian made machine ?
That is very Hi Tech ! That must be an expensive way to have your valves and seats done.

grcamna5 said:
I've heard of Serdi before and now I get a nice view of it ! :) 8) is that an Italian made machine ?
That is very Hi Tech ! That must be an expensive way to have your valves and seats done.
French...nope 50 bucks and that includes bead blasting everything!

Texasstar said:
French...nope 50 bucks and that includes bead blasting everything!

You mean having the valves AND seats cut for $50?? :eek: ;D That IS a Great Deal ! When I looked the the Diesel cast iron(red)cylinder head having the seats cut,they didn't look like they used a 'pilot'.. ?

Glad we had a road block with the pilot guide. We got the clean head home disassembled and checked the valve to guide clearance using a dial indicator and we can see why he stopped riding it and picked up another head. The exhaust valve has .015" valve to guide clearance and the intake is .005" We will disassemble the other head and check the clearance later. Also the piston to wall clearance is out of spec at .0035"

We learned that the piston is measured at the piston's gauge point. The Pistons gauge point is set by the manufacturer. The measurement is used in calculating piston to wall clearence.
598a3c74cb5f0bb93df18d2bb0d8dfe3.jpg

Thread #32 piston pic was quite the illusion on my screen... now seeing your piston upright /side view... yup its a normal piston with normal valves :)

Back
Top Bottom