83 Honda shadow 750 build

motorman45

I picked up this 83 Honda shadow 750 recently and really love the motor but not the look / fit of the rest of the bike. i wanted to do a different kind of build. love brats and cafes but this bike is a challenge to turn into a brat.
so far ive started fabricating a seat pan, cut the rear fender a bit so i can add a loop to the rear and started re-locating the electronics that were under the queen seat.
i will start with using the original tank but im in a long process of cutting the bottom out of an 84 700 nighhawk tank and fabricating a new tunnel that fits over the frame and intake. more bits to follow.

Attachments

• shadow w new tank 1.jpg
    shadow w new tank 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,638
Working on a seat pan. have the original tank on it for now with a test paint job on it . cut and reshaped the stock rear fender to fit a lower pan.

Attachments

• working on seat pan.jpg
    working on seat pan.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,437
Just got some more argon and finished modifying the rear fender. not bad for my first tig welds in a few years. seat pan is next.

Attachments

• fender mod 1.jpg
    fender mod 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 908
Fabricating the seat pan.

Attachments

• seat pan 4.jpg
    seat pan 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 815
  • seat pan 3.jpg
    seat pan 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 925
  • seat pan 2.jpg
    seat pan 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 823
  • seat pan 1.jpg
    seat pan 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 835
primed seat pan mounted. just need foam next and then make the cover. i have some dark brown faux emu leather vinyl im thinking of using .. what do you guys think about tan or brown seats.. ?

Attachments

• seat pan 5 r.jpg
    seat pan 5 r.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 771
The airbox was a chellenge to remove. ended up using a hacksaw blade in a small handle to cut it apart.

now to clean up the wiring

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 778
  • new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,084
  • old tank.jpg
    old tank.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 900
  • open frame bike.jpg
    open frame bike.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 937
  • cut box.jpg
    cut box.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 818
mostly finished the seat. used layers of neoprene foam and a sander to shape the seat. then tried sewing my own pleated cover. took a few tries to get the seams right. this was my first seat cover.
next i have to decide how to attach the cover to the pan

Attachments

• IMG_20140608_181447_119.jpg
    IMG_20140608_181447_119.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 716
  • IMG_20140610_222411_233.jpg
    IMG_20140610_222411_233.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 805
  • IMG_20140610_222300_305.jpg
    IMG_20140610_222300_305.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 774
Here is my mod to the intake. the stock air box was cracked anyway. i dod not really want to run pods. so i used the stock intake snorkle and made an adapter to mount a 2 1/2" ID x 5" UNI filter. not shown is a screen i welded inside the part to smooth and slightly restrict air flow so i dont have to set the thing so rich i have no range on the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20140607_224703_557.jpg
    IMG_20140607_224703_557.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 867
  • IMG_20140607_224039_550.jpg
    IMG_20140607_224039_550.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 768
first stage pretty much done. still working on the new tank. seat is attached and fits nice. well see how comfortable it is. looks good. here is a before and after. ( before pic not mine but same bike )

Attachments

• 1st stage original a .jpg
    1st stage original a .jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 10,114
  • 1 st stage done.jpg
    1 st stage done.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,495
I dig it. And it can't possibly be less comfortable than stock unless you set the seat up to electrocute you

Rich Ard said:
I dig it. And it can't possibly be less comfortable than stock unless you set the seat up to electrocute you

thanks .. was fun to build. you're right , it cant be more uncomfortable than the original.

thanks . i wanted to do something different. not an easy bike to customize other than into a bobber. its a bit like a tracker. when i get the nighthawk 700 tank on it it will be closer to a tracker / brat . still going to cut the front fender. move the headlight a bit and black out the rims and maybe motor fins.
what do you guys think tracker ? brat ? dosnt matter i guess.

motorman45 said:
what do you guys think tracker ? brat ?

I'd go for a cafe look with rearsets, clipons and a bum stop on the seat, but since you've already built the seat, I vote for tracker. I believe you'll need to raise the rear though,

motorman45 said:
dosnt matter i guess.

True. Have fun. That's what matters.

M.

i did look at using clip ons and moving the pegs, but thats the hard part about these v twin jap bikes, bars any lower than what i put on hit the tank leaving limited steering, cant put much of a dent in the tank as there is little fuel space due to the carbs and intake being in the tank, the stock peg location is decent with the current bars, any lower and the pegs would need to go back.
i am looking at rasing the rear with longer shocks but there is a limit with it being a shaft drive. i will raise the back ~ 1" , already lowered the front 1 1/2 " in the clamps.

i would like to cafe another v twin, possibly a vulcan could be modded like this ? one with carbs on the side. the vt750 engine has awsome tourque, makes a great sport bike. possibly the newer tank i set on there eventually will let me put flatter bars and rear pegs.

only have about 1200$ total in this bike so far including buying it.

What's important is you to like the your bike.
I attach a cafe photo as evidence though

Attachments

• 6-2.jpg
    6-2.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 5,041
Nice bike. cool to see v twins done this way. i do like my creation so far, to mod like that is a lot more frame mods than i wanted. i like the twin shocks and long flat seat look. almost anything can be done with enough fab work.

Here are some photoshop alterations. blacked out the rims and a couple of small things to see what it would do to the look.

Attachments

• 1 st stage done 2.jpg
    1 st stage done 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,075
Back
Top Bottom