Well it's a Honda...

seansmitty42

So I saw this little guy on a Facebook barter page for free Saturday morning. I messaged the guy and it happened to be in a little town about ten minutes from me. I don't think I could have gotten dressed and out the door any faster. Turns out I know the kid and he had some other parts I needed for a four wheeler I have. I ended up giving the dude 20 bucks and he even helped me load it.

I haven't had a chance to run the vin, but I do know it's not stolen.. I just have no clue what it is.. Can someone help me out?
9u6ary4a.jpg

vu6ube9y.jpg

The guy I got it from started it before, so that's cool. I am thinking it's going to be a commuter style, more upright seating, jump rail road tracks and ride wheelies kind of rig.

Thunder up!

this is a nice VT500.

http://motoprofi.com/motospecspictures/honda/vt_500_e-1985.html

Pretty cheap at that price!

I had one just like this, Vt 500 Ascot 83,84 not to be confused for the Ft 500 ascot ( a single cylinder ) . great bike. i cut the baffle out from under the engine and made a 2 to 1 pipe with just the can it has, then stage 3 jetting and it woke right up nice.
good find.

Here is another vt500 ascot.. done as a tracker..

Attachments

• Honda VT500 FT Ascot Street tracker 3.jpg
    Honda VT500 FT Ascot Street tracker 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 380
I like that bottom tracker style. How finicky are the carbs on these? the airbox is shot and it doesnt have the intake tubes. can you run tubs back and make a custom intake with a uni filter on it? I am thinking the front end is going to be beefed up if i can find a donor. I looked around it a couple days ago and really couldnt find any leaks or anything that really stood out, which means its good or it has zero oil in it lol.

I know the top intake snorkle helps the airflow to the cv carbs, you can run pods right on the carb but running a set of tubes or the stock intake tube to a uni is far better for tuning. i just did this to my vt750 project on here. posted pics of the adapter too.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=60447.0

I like where you are taking that bike motorman, i think i will use your uni idea. I am currently thinking that i will delete most of the wiring after I get it running. I want to get rid of the huge mass of shit on top of the handle bars. I just want to run head light/brake lights. I am going to try to stay under a grand on this bike for the whole build.

I saw some one using an iphone as a speedometer and am looking to go that route to clean up some of the wiring and have less stuff on this thing. thats in the future though. Thanks for the help and ideas everyone I will be working on it today so i should have some updates soon.

We got it fired up last night and she doesnt sound all that bad. I am looking to order a new air intake and start sorting out some of the small stuff. I know that the headlight and speedo cluster have to go but i am kinda scared to go cutting up wires. Does anyone have a method on trimming the wireloom fat?

ive got a similar issue with the wring on my vt750. it would be good to cut all the fat off and it can be done but you have to find a place for some of the critcal parts. the igniter boxes, relays for the starter, ecu, fuses and some other misc stuff. you can do away with the turn signal control box and flasher if you like and not going to use them.
ive started to layout a new harness to streamline the wiring on paper using the factory diagram. then to make a routing for what goes where and put it all under the seat ( only place i can find )
for now im going to run it like it is and later take off the cluster on the bars for leaner look.

I would be interested to see how you do your wiring! I have the luxury of having a few friends that are really good bike mechanics.

We powder coat so that will save me a ton of money. As for the style I think I'm going to go more of a Honda grom style.. I am going to order a couple parts to keep me moving as soon as my cbr929 that I just finished sells.
a2yty4ur.jpg

Got the exhaust and center stand off. Going to start cleaning up the frame and what not tonight. I also started pulling the cluster and signals off.
I am wondering if this is a good time to start on moving and deleting some of the wiring? There is a box behind the headlight with plugs in it, i unplugged the gauge cluster and some other harnesses for the front blinkers from it. I am keeping everything marked as I go.
ajeda4un.jpg

I'm a little confused on how to go about this so any words of wisdom would be awesome. Here is how she sits as of last night.
e7e7agah.jpg

Nice, anothe VT500 project. I had the chance to get one of these cheap before I knew anything about cycles. I wish I had gotten it now, they make rad trackers and a dead nuts reliable.

ya this poor thing sat outside for god knows how long.. i checked the oil, swapped plugs, and put some gas to her and she fired right up. trying to trim the fat right now. should have some better quality photos this evening. I only get so long to work on stuff a day so taking photos with my camera is usually the last thing on my mind until i go to post an update. I fell in love with the little honda grom a while back and i think this thing would be a cool older brother type of thing. Hopefully it works out the way i have it in my head.

I looked up the wiring for your bike and its very similar ( not surprising ) to my vt750. if youre going to run without turn signals and you dont care about the dash lights or temp gauge then there is a lot you can cut out.
it will take a bit of tracing but as long as you have a switch for the power to the spark units,coils, fuel pump, regulator/rectifier, fan and temp switch and you can make it run with just those wired , oh and a wire for the lights and starter relay, you can cut the rest out.
that box in the front is just a junction box i believe.

Thats about all i want. i am going to get a mechanic friend to come over later and supervise (aka drink my beer) while I cut some of this stuff off. I also hope to pull the carbs and cut some stuff off the frame this evening.

That's cool, running it with minimal parts.. As long as those key parts are switched with power its all it needs to run. It will look great with all that cut off.

Back
Top Bottom