"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

People who know how I work [ apart from slowly ! ::)] will KNOW that the zip ties are holding the NOS bottle in place as POC. I have some very nice exhaust can clamps for the finished jobbie [ exact size ]. Just noticed in the pic - wouldn't want the younger viewers to think that's how we old farts do things. ;)

It's getting pretty crowded under the "tank" now - dual output coils [ x 2 ], fuel pump and filter [ NOS ] fuel pump [ Weber ] DARC2 ignition [ when it finally arrives ! ], NOS bottle ........ then there's all the electrics, solenoids, relays, fuses, etc.

I might have to find a different home for the battery ?

Attachments

• kz tank prep 002.jpg
    kz tank prep 002.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 164
NoRiders said:
Nice one beachy...steady progress is steady ;)

Thanx bud - that's about all I can hope for at the moment. Ill health, and the usual lack of funds has all contributed in recent years, but I'm glad to say the Bronchitis has finally passed out of my system [ 4 months !!??] and ALL the expensive parts / outsource jobs have been done apart from the DARC-2 ignition and the welding of the headers. My pal Brian has just finished clearing out his large garden shed that we are going to use to store parts until we need them for assembly.

With the new equipment in his garage - blast cabinet, big compressor, cut off saw, decent welder [ pity I don't weld ! ] I'd say we're well set up now for the final leg.

If any of my US / Canadian cousins see a DARC-2 ignition unit for sub $200 - please let me know. They went right down to $184 in November - but the company wouldn't ship outside the US.

Attachments

• w-1104986-900x613.jpg
    w-1104986-900x613.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 157
  • thumbnail_IMG_2841 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2841 (1).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 413
beachcomber

look at this and let me know which exact one you need and i will snag it for you if one will work

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dynatek+arc+2&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

cxman said:
beachcomber

look at this and let me know which exact one you need and i will snag it for you if one will work

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dynatek+arc+2&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Thanx for your efforts - however - they show a picture of the DARC2 ignition box - but in fact what the are selling is the installation kit !! My US friend bought one last year and of course when it arrived - it was NOT the ignition unit. He threatened them with all sorts of mis-representation until they refunded his money.

They try to fool the buyer by listing DARC2 [ the unit part number] but then adding another suffix either 1, 2 or 3 ! So you have DARC2-2 etc. Thanx for taking the time to look.

beachcomber said:
People who know how I work [ apart from slowly ! ::)] will KNOW that the zip ties are holding the NOS bottle in place as POC. I have some very nice exhaust can clamps for the finished jobbie [ exact size ]. Just noticed in the pic - wouldn't want the younger viewers to think that's how we old farts do things. ;)

It's getting pretty crowded under the "tank" now - dual output coils [ x 2 ], fuel pump and filter [ NOS ] fuel pump [ Weber ] DARC2 ignition [ when it finally arrives ! ], NOS bottle ........ then there's all the electrics, solenoids, relays, fuses, etc.

I might have to find a different home for the battery ?

Just thinking about the NOS tank mount....how about a pair of webbing straps so you can quick undo as you'll be removing to recharge?

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Can you stretch the "tank" a little to make more room if needed? Maybe even a bulge to ease things. Since I mainly ride a GoldWing, seeing it busy under the "shelter" seems proper.

NoRiders said:
Just thinking about the NOS tank mount....how about a pair of webbing straps so you can quick undo as you'll be removing to recharge?

The exhaust clamps only require a half turn with a spanner to allow the bottle to slide out. We did try it earlier on a dry run to swap out bottle.

PJ - IF we run out of space [ looking likely ] I'll go back to the under seat tray - or more likely - the seat bum stop.
Originally I'd planned for an abbreviated side panel to line up with the seat base - which hid all the electrics nicely. The 7R seat base doesn't really lend itself to that, and it would hide the Weber !! It's an option. Plenty of room under the tail of the seat - and there's always the 1/2 fairing if push comes to shove. ;)

Attachments

• KZ750 sept 2017 010.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 010.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 534
  • KZ750 sept 19th 2015 005.jpg
    KZ750 sept 19th 2015 005.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 164
Interested in what you're doing for the fuel pump rig. I installed a low pressure fuel pump on my BMW F650, which I've converted to dual TM34 carbs, and they want to flood. Not sure if it's because of the float needle or what.

need a different needle and seat to use a fuel pump they come with gravity feed needles and seats

I'm also installing an inline fuel pressure regulator for the Weber circuit. No probs with the NOS feed.

Some peeps have asked about getting a base setting for the Weber. My Weber was one of a pair that was used on a 1500cc Cortina GT - so I'm taking a leap of faith in that one carb served 750cc !!!!! That should be close enough for me to play with.

Here's the 10.9 grade Hi-Po stud kit I commissioned from the company that does all the Hi-Po fixings for the RAM cars.

NEVER have a stud stretch / break again. Preserve those head gaskets. !!! ;)

Nuts are Marine Grade A4 stainless.

I might be getting some made for Z1 / 900 etc.

Attachments

• eng11-30010_zps121868a1.jpg
    eng11-30010_zps121868a1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 150
  • misc 015.jpg
    misc 015.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 158
Headers finally off to the Brough Superior man to be welded. ;) ;)He's got loads of work in at the moment, but hopes to fit it in the next 3-4 weeks. I've got another guy going to index the NOS nozzles for me and hopefully get a slightly better angle on the entry. Again - they will be rotated 180 degrees from the pic. That just leaves the DARC-2 ignition unit.

Attachments

• headers 004.jpg
    headers 004.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 163
  • headers 008.jpg
    headers 008.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 172
  • w-1104986-900x613.jpg
    w-1104986-900x613.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 165
Headers away waiting to be welded - can't wait !

It's amazing trying to pick up after a 5 month forced layoff while my pal was in the US. It's taken us a complete morning just to find the parts we need for the next stages.

First off the fuel cell will be fitted into the belly fairing and all the mounts finished, then we can start laying in the fuel supply and feeds / overflows etc. The tank and seat will have to be mounted before we can plumb in the filler cap and tube as the filler will be mounted in the back of the seat bum stop.

The belly pan itself will need quite a bit of work as we had to cut and shut to get the fuel cell as low as possible in the fairing.

I'm not happy with the taper bearings we used for the headstock, for some reason they refuse to seat right down inside the headstock tube. So the forks have got to come off again to remedy that. Not too tragic as it will give us clear access where I want to mount the custom chassis plate.

While the front end's torn down I'll refit the hardware to the Grimeca 4LS brake plates and get the new spacers gold passivated, then it's just making the brake torque stays and then the front end's finished. Still looking for a fork brace if anyone's got one ??

By the time all that's completed the headers should be back and I can have a dummy fit of the exhaust and Weber to site the fuel / NOS lines.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to lose new parts!

It's amazing how each part requires 2-3 other parts to be fitted to check clearances etc...talk about the hip bone's connected to the thigh bone which is connected to the knee bone...

Carry on :)

NoRiders said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one to lose new parts!

It's amazing how each part requires 2-3 other parts to be fitted to check clearances etc...talk about the hip bone's connected to the thigh bone which is connected to the knee bone...

Carry on :)

I can't believe it either - my mate is OCD tidying fanatic and has boxes for everything.

Yep. hip bone, knee bone etc. The fuel cell has to be fitted before the tank and seat can be fitted, which has to be done before we can finalise to position of the footpegs, etc.,etc.,etc.............

Beach, I just noticed you earlier comments about the source of that Weber. 1500 Cortina. I hope this bike makes a lot more power than a complete 1500 motor, let along half of one. ;-)

Much as we all loved Cortina GTs and Lotus Cortinas, things have moved on a bit since then. I think that the average POS grocery getter today makes more power than our old Ford motors of that era. Even my old RS2000 (long gone but not forgotten) would be looked down on by a Civic owner today.

Back
Top Bottom