lets see your 3/4 helmets (only)

Nice. My first "bike" was an 84 (I think...) ATC250. My aunt still has it. Just fixed it all up and got it running again actually.

VonYinzer said:
Dyrden... After seeing your helmet, and speaking with the artist, Ill be honest. Im in love. Haha.

Shes easy on the eyes if you ever see her in person. She moved up to NY yesterday.

599617_429457277085395_211773978_n.jpg

554661_429457293752060_118831242_n.jpg

545366_429457313752058_985432489_n.jpg

532868_429457330418723_87143116_n.jpg

1950 something..? SpaceMaster Made in England... My "everyday lid.

2012-07-01_11-28-23_871.jpg

2012-07-01_11-28-35_261.jpg

Cork'n silk liner....!
2012-07-01_11-29-00_669.jpg

2012-07-01_11-29-37_196.jpg

I'm down to 2. At one time I had 12 or 13, but have given them away with bikes sold, or a bud in need... Now, just mine and a red metal flake loner.
2012-07-01_11-29-57_499.jpg

Dyrden said:
More done on the helmet. Its a little over the top, but I have other helmets for when Im not looking for so much attention. Still needs some clear coat.

That is just frikkin' awesome!

Is it big balls painting a helmet? I've never tried it but i'm thinking of trying. I love the look of these 3/4 helmets. I have a ginormous head. I wear a xxxl, so i'd probably look funny in a 3/4, but I don't care I still want one.

Dyrden said:
More done on the helmet. Its a little over the top, but I have other helmets for when Im not looking for so much attention. Still needs some clear coat.

Untitled by bailey_james62@ymail.com, on Flickr

Untitled by bailey_james62@ymail.com, on Flickr

Do you know if the helmet was sanded down before it got painted , i want to have an artist friend do my helmet but i want to put on a coat of rusty brown colored paint and i dont know if i need to sand it down and then paint it with base color , then have the art put on , then clear coat it or how to do it.

Is it a vintage helmet? Old ones are smooth plastic shells that have been painted from the inside unless it's a solid color that's been molded in colored plastic. Anyhow... Of you're painting on plastic, you do want to evenly scuff the surface before the base coat. Paint + glass smooth surfaces = peeling paint. Make sure you use a primer made for plastic as well.

Now, some vintage helmets are fibreglass that has been painted. If the paint is in good condition than just scuff and spray. A nice coat of filler primer (in both instances) is always nice. Let it dry completely and wet sand it. Prep is key to a good paint job.

Now, if there are decals on the helmet, they'll obviously need removed. Not just the decal but any remaining adhesive. Remember the whole " prep is key"?

Now for the disclaimer...

If your painting a vintage lid, this doesn't matter as your helmet stopped being functional from a safety standpoint a loooong time ago. But if you're going to paint a new bucket, be aware that paint is made of chemicals. Chemicals that oft times react very poorly with plastic. Some paints (More so the solvents used to keep it liquid In the can) will ruin the integrity of the shell, rendering the helmet basically useless from a safety standpoint.

Now, get to work...

VonYinzer said:
Is it a vintage helmet? Old ones are smooth plastic shells that have been painted from the inside unless it's a solid color that's been molded in colored plastic. Anyhow... Of you're painting on plastic, you do want to evenly scuff the surface before the base coat. Paint + glass smooth surfaces = peeling paint. Make sure you use a primer made for plastic as well.

Now, some vintage helmets are fibreglass that has been painted. If the paint is in good condition than just scuff and spray. A nice coat of filler primer (in both instances) is always nice. Let it dry completely and wet sand it. Prep is key to a good paint job.

Now, if there are decals on the helmet, they'll obviously need removed. Not just the decal but any remaining adhesive. Remember the whole " prep is key"?

Now for the disclaimer...

If your painting a vintage lid, this doesn't matter as your helmet stopped being functional from a safety standpoint a loooong time ago. But if you're going to paint a new bucket, be aware that paint is made of chemicals. Chemicals that oft times react very poorly with plastic. Some paints (More so the solvents used to keep it liquid In the can) will ruin the integrity of the shell, rendering the helmet basically useless from a safety standpoint.

Now, get to work...

Its a modern bucket, i figured i would have to sand back all the paint i can, them put a filler primer on it (it has had a used life in a few places) then spray it with the color before having it drawn on and clear coated. That is the correct process right ?

Back
Top Bottom