CB1100f

surffly

Over 1,000 Posts
Well I had been causal searching for a blue 1100f for a while.
One came up that I could not pass on.

10k miles, runs like a top and in fairly good shape.
Plan is to use it as daily transport and over time build up a superbike.
Spent yesterday giver her a bath and then pretending I'm Freddie Spencer on a ride (100miles)

Few things on the "to do" list
-new grips, stock ones are coming off
-Fork seals, parts ordered
-Fork swap, stock forks are pitted and will eat the seals. Doing the seals only to bide time
-replace the worn out suspension

I'm thinking about adding some raask rearsets and renthal bar toe the bike, not sure yet.
Down the line I'm thinking F2 wheel swap and smoothbore carbs, but not doing snything that keeps the bike off the road for more then 24 hours until the winter.

F4E56ED6-A9F8-4246-9F3B-DF602DE778C1_zpshohkanxa.jpg

Very nice I love these bikes.
Wish I coul find a decent one myself.
But I have enough projects right now. ;-)

Got some ProGrip 714s. Best grips ever.
Fork seals cam in today too!

Because I am a magnet for smoothbore carbs....
Some 33s.
Not going to run them for a while.
6a3322db3d5575e541fb591aca46a9e3_zps9ed95501.jpg

And some Raask rearsets.
Want to try them out and see how I like them.
Would like a more aggressive riding position, but want to still ride two up and not ruin the ability of the bike to eat miles.
32f338dc29b2511c9914e494b8d9af65_zps07a854a9.jpg

Well I didn't end up doing much with the bike but ride the wheels off it. Had a wonderful summer with it.
I keep going back and forth about doing any modifications to it at all.

On one hand I have been collecting pieces to do the CBR600F2 wheel swap like this
87897a83fe8b087f472570a34084dfa3_zpsc9d49809.jpg

I have also just been keeping on top of stuff and just enjoying the thing.

The starter clutch is a weak point on these bikes. Mine started acting up this fall so I didn't get to ride the bike to my new place yet.
So I bought a R6 starter clutch. I will be modifying this to work on the 1100f.
536C6EE0-0AE4-466C-BBD5-C544F01226FA_zps20386iw4.jpg

Waiting on some stuff to do the starter clutch. Then waiting for the snow to melt.
"Builds" are lame some times, evolution is more the name of the game with this bike

I understand. My project is sitting there waiting on boxes and envelopes to be delivered from all corners of the earth at this moment. As bits come in I realize there are more small parts needed. Luckily there are parts readily available.
Good luck with the progress.
I love those bikes, it's not a Fairing Queen, but a sharp looking street fighter from back in the day. The engine is the heart and soul of a motorcycle and should be on display. Most newer bikes you have to spend half a day pulling fairings and brackets off to just get a glimpse of a side cover. Great bike you have there.

Nice find! To me, that is one of the best looking bikes Honda ever made. You don't see the 1100's that much, only the smaller versions come up for sale around me.

interceptor said:
Nice find! To me, that is one of the best looking bikes Honda ever made. You don't see the 1100's that much, only the smaller versions come up for sale around me.

I too like the look.
Even more when they are set up like the superbikes they are. Hate when people try and play cafe racer dress up with the,. It never works.

For a while all the DOHC Hondas were silly cheap, but now the supersports are on the rise.
The 900F is really a great street bike. On the road it feels like the 1100f, just with less heat!
The 1100 is a one year bike so they are harder to find.

I didn't know about the 1 year thing until today. No wonder you don't see them that much. I also like the FJ1100, and the Interceptor's...hence my
user name ;)
And yes, I do believe that these bikes need nothing in the looks department. Can't make these much better. Small things to help out are nice, just don't go
hacking anything off. Hell, I am now a believer in just going stock. I'll take a great running bike over a bike that's in pieces, trying to make it look better. Shocks, tires, brakes, rebuilt forks and properly running engine and charging system are where it's at.

Well I have had this bike for a while now. Figured a thread/update would be nice.

Had thought about selling the bike and getting something different, but I couldn't give the bike away. And after thinking about it im okay with that. This thing is a one year old (in the USA) and the end of an era. That's kinda cool. Also the performance is great! I will just have to wait for a better time to check the MV Agusta box on my bucket list.

So to recap. This was the first used bike I ever bought that I could ride the day I got it! Put plates on it the day after I got it and rode it as much as I could.
Really fun bike and I LOVE the blue. Side note, many people think red is faster....they are wrong.

Bike is not perfect by any means, but it is just an honest used bike.
I keep the bike outside in my condo parking lot so if it was mint I would feel bad.

Here she is after a quick bath. I really should spend the day detailing her, I am sure it would do wonders.
70afb815061803edecdb0cac2924e947_zpsu3xharpi.jpg

Don't see many that still have the OEM exhaust and air box.

Have to sort a few small issues that popped up before I get to making any changes.
Stay tuned to talk about some of those changes.
Looking forward to finding out about some modifications that can be done to the DOHC bikes to improve them. I know the SOHC bikes much better.
Not talking about cutting it up, or doing anything crazy. Think more "bang for the buck" type stuff.

It would change the look maybe too much for you but I wonder what a wheel swap would do or what options would be available for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the basic idea of this thread is to keep everything I am doing with the CB1100F organized and in one place. I often find myself reading my own threads over and over to figure out a thought process and to look up information that others shared with me.
Some will not find this thread interesting in the slightest because it will not be a “build” in any way, nor will it be a restoration of a bike. But rather just an evolution. The bike is my daily mount and the one major rule is that I do not ever want to have the bike down for more then two days. Will plan and collect parts for stuff over the winter though.
Now I am just repeating myself a bunch.

So on to the overall goal.

One thing that I REALLY like about these DOHC Hondas is that with only a few simple modifications they become hard to peg down as far as era. What I mean by that is I know people see some of these bikes and think they are much newer then they really are. Don’t forget my bike is a 1983 and that was the end of it.

Here is a bike I really like.
BluewF2Wheels1_zpszkttqwkl.jpg

Could be confused for something from 2010! I love the week swap and some of the other small mods. I need to find another set of Raask rearsets. I had a pair, but sold them when I thought I was going to get rid of the bike. I should have kept them, meh live and learn. I like them because of the foot peg location and that the are different then the OEM “sports kit”. Also the sports kit is starting to become hard to find and big bucks when they do pop up.

This is another bike that gives me wood. Internet points for knowing who’s bike this is.
8238879988_6c75158d19_b1_zpspxdv3gkt.jpg

Is that a stock CB1100F swingarm?
I have to see if the boys at CB1100F.net are going to do another group buy on the Ohlins. I desperately need new rear suspension.

For right now mostly boring jobs need to get done. Will post as they happen and hopefully be able to learn some neat tricks along the way.
Short list of squawks in no particular order.
-Front forks.
-F2 wheel swap
-Rearsets
-Rear shocks
-Swing arm bushings
-Starter clutch
-Charging system
-HID Headlight
-Petcock rebuild
-Exhaust
-Dyna 2000?
-Carb swap?
-Renthal bar

What are some “interesting” bang for the buck type things that you guys know about for these bikes? I don’t feel that the bike needs more power, but speed is always nice. Does need some help in the braking and handling department though.

I thought that might be the case. I've got everything for the F2 swap on my vf1000 as well.

I'm retaining the stock calipers on my VF so if you want the cbr ones I have let me know. They don't bolt up as easy on the vf I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom