1969 CL 350 Build Thread CO

I've never seen a red wire grounded to the pinch bolt :eek:, trace it back thru your harness, maybe the PO had some craziness in the system going on?

Mine has the same thing and it also is a CL350, so I think it came that way stock from the factory. In the process now of putting mine back together and will let you know if I can figure it out.

I just picked up 2 CB 350's this weekend for $100. 1 parts bike and another with only 4k miles. Pictures to follow.

This is what my $100 got me...

Attachments

• 0514121910.jpg
    0514121910.jpg
    952.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 0514121910b.jpg
    0514121910b.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 0514121910a.jpg
    0514121910a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 263
  • 0514121911b.jpg
    0514121911b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
...and this parts bike was thrown in for free.

Attachments

• 0514121910c.jpg
    0514121910c.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 262
  • 0514121911.jpg
    0514121911.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 273
  • 0514121911a.jpg
    0514121911a.jpg
    981.2 KB · Views: 273
I don't know where all these deals are when I am out looking...you gotta be living right. :p

My goodness! GLad to see some other teardown pictures! She'll look great when you're all finished!

I really wish I could get deals like yours! Wow...

Glad to see another 350 build.

Well, there has been a shift of plans and priorities since picking up the CB's. The CL was my focus, but I am up to my ears is shit with that bike. It is totally torn down and in pieces.
Right now, I am focusing on getting the orange CB on the road asap. I am dying without an operational bike.
I am rebuilding the front end aka new bars, new clutch and throttle assembly, new switches, new light. The clutch and throttle cables were shot when I got it, so those have been replaced.
Also, the tank was super rusty on the inside. I have been trying the electrolysis methid to remove the rust, but I am VERY over this. I am headed to Performance TODAY to pick up the Kreem tank prep kit. This tank issue has more or less been the one thing preventing me from attempting to start the bike for the 1st time (for me at least).
Please, if you have advice...share.
Are you on the road? Where are you in Denver?

It ain't a cafe without a few hiccups.

You're better of focusing on one project at a time, like you're doing now. Put the CL on the shelf and get your CB running reliably (enough for for a cafe). Anyways, I Kreemed my tank. Came out great. Took about 1.5 hours total work time and a full day/night with wait time. Great stuff. When you do the last stage, rotate that thing for an extra hour or so. It'll bead even when it's past the recommended limit.

Fox said:
It ain't a cafe without a few hiccups.

You're better of focusing on one project at a time, like you're doing now. Put the CL on the shelf and get your CB running reliably (enough for for a cafe). Anyways, I Kreemed my tank. Came out great. Took about 1.5 hours total work time and a full day/night with wait time. Great stuff. When you do the last stage, rotate that thing for an extra hour or so. It'll bead even when it's past the recommended limit.
I was told by several folks that by no means should I use the Kreem liner (step#3). You had good luck? The CL is for sure on the back burner for now...possibly even a parts bike if anyone is interested.

CBs_CB said:
I was told by several folks that by no means should I use the Kreem liner (step#3). You had good luck? The CL is for sure on the back burner for now...possibly even a parts bike if anyone is interested.

Hmm. I think it's up to you.

There's a case to be made for both sides. If you don't use Step 3 than your tank is pretty much guaranteed to rust again, and from what I remember, faster tan it would before because the acids in Step 1 and Step 2 eat up all the treatments that are put on the metal inside the tank at production. If you keep stuff moving in the tank then you'll probably be good because the rust won't have time to settle in, but if the bike sits for a while the tank will rust. That's not a question, just a matter of how long that takes which I couldn't tell ya. When it does rust and you try and start the bike, rust particles will get into your fuel system and eventually clog stuff up so it won't run.

On the flip side. Using Step 3 will prevent any rust, but you run the risk of little flecks of the liner coming off and getting lodged in your petcock/fuel lines/carbs. If that happens your bike won't start till you clean out the whole fuel system. Now, keep in mind that's a pretty slim chance. The liner isn't just gonna magically start chipping one day. Slam a gas nozzle in the tank at a gas station and yeah you'll probably have some chip off which could get clogged in one of the many tiny holes in your carbs, but be conscious of it and you'll be fine. Also, if you get a dent in your tank with a Kreem lined tank it will break up your liner and go into your fuel system. So don't drop your bike if you do it.

This is just my perception of things. I haven't used my Kreem lined tank yet because the bike isn't road worthy, but that's what I've read. If someone has had good results not using Step 3, please chime in.

dude i was gonna creem my tank but it wasn't that bad. I have used por 15 marine with really good results. This time i just took 2 bottles of cheap naval jelly and sloshed it around in the tank let it sit on there for 30 min and flushed the crap out of it. then i filled it with gas. Clean as a new shirt so far.

I need to advance my Karma to find these $100 bikes.

Planning on a cafe masterpiece, but I'll be happy with something that runs and teaches me a lesson or two.

I'm in the same boat. Luck!

Back
Top Bottom