'72 Honda cb500K1 Four "barn find" restore

gonnarideagain

Yo, to all! I'm a 66 y o on SS tryin to ride again. I last rode in the '70's. On my 65th last year I made it #1 on my bucket list to get my knees in the breeze before I meet "The Man". Even when I last rode ('51 pan) I never would touch a Honda. Now, I stand before you a humbled man in need of your help. I have a vision for this "Four" as a bobber. The baby is a stock all the way, but with missing parts. I am so frickin outta touch I almost feel overwhelmed! Almost, but not quite. I'm doin this all by myself. Had a "bud" but he bailed. Now I got no tools, no heated garage and no access to my own cellar here in lovely, frigid, Endicott, NY. Don't get me wrong, I ain't snivelin. On my modest SS checks, besides winnin the bike auction, I'm acquiring parts & tools as best I can afford. I'm gonna make this happen! I guess my 1st question to ya'll is this; is it a MUST to run tubes in new tubeless tires on my stock, spoked wheels? My wheels are salvageable but tires were dry-rot. With some old fashioned elbow grease, I ain't afraid of laborin some, I wanna save the stock wheels And gas tank but lose the stock seat (for a solo) & tail-lite (4 into 1 cat's eye) & "bob" the rear fender (the front fender is rust and gonzo). I already got new sprockets & chains front & rear, in case yer thinkin I'm all about the dress-up. New Yuasa, left & right points, front rotor/disc, front turn signals, master brake cylander and new rear brake pieces from hub/drum to front foot pedal. DAMN! I forget another whole line of torque wrenches, ratchets, tank sealant and various sundry pieces to start my quest. Can I get some sound advice or my shoes squeezed? Later, Paul. ;-)

Sounds like you're in the right place for advice, Paul. Folks here are more than willing to help. (Posting some photos will help, too.) I've resurrected several bikes myself, and am currently working on a couple of Viragos as well as a Kawi 440. I've done a couple of Hondas in the past. Since this is your first time, I'll be gentle. If it's a Honda and it turns over, it can be made to run. If you can get it to run, you can get it to ride. MY process is: 1) Make it run. 2) Make it ridable. 3) Make it look good or run better, whichever you're into. The last is the least important as far as spending your money and time and keeping your interest up. The CB500 is a good bike. Best thing about Honda 4s is somebody somewhere has already had any problem you'll run into. Keep hitting at it. You'll be surprised. Oh, and welcome!

Oh, yeah. Don't start tearing into it just yet. Identify problems one by one and fix them--- you'll save yourself a lot of grief...

Hey Paul welcome.
You absolutely MUST run tubes with spoked rims. (at least if you like air in your tires)

Harbor Freight is a great source for cheap tools. Hand tools have a lifetime warranty and are stupid cheap. Power tools are stupid cheap as well, their grinders are like 14.99 and last forever. For being on a budget and needing tools, its the place to go.

Welcome................yes, tubes are a must and a rubber rim rings or duct tapes help to stop the tips of the spokes from poking holes in the tubes.

hopefully the rims aren't too, too rusted.

Oh yea......pics, pics and more pics........we like pics.

And last but not least, did I mention :pics"?

Jack

Thnx for the tips, gents. I got no pics, yet. I'm such a "dyno" that I don't own a cell & would probably screw up the "uploading" process. But as of March 3rd, thnx to "In Touch America", I'll have a smart-phone and give it a try. The guy I bought the bike from steered me to you guys with his high recommendation for a "no-nonsense" straight-ahead approach for answers/advice. He was right. 'Preciate ya'll already. Later, Paul. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom