"La Pastinaca" CB450 498cc Big Bore Engine Built By DWMS Racing!

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Cylinder head

Thank you Brother ponycarman, your compliment means a lot!

Brother Glenn that is a nice power file! The fins on this cylinder head had some heavy uneven casting in a few areas and I did file them by hand. I really like crafting by hand but I almost bought a power file a while back, have you used it yet? Let us know how you like it!

Joe, this is looking awesome!!!!!!!! SWEET!!!! 8) ;D :D ;)
Thanks for the info on how to access the other builds. I will browse around
I agree that all of these "posters" are very talented and I am fortunate for their willingness to share with us their comments and experiences.
Mr. Swagger, I appreciate your feedback on the PAMCO ignition. i will be ordering it in the next couple of days and get it to Joe.

I can't wait!!!!

Brother Habanero ordered new cam bearing housings for this engine, the castings were a little rough around the edges and had a couple of dings in them so today I filed, sanded, and started the first stage of polishing them as well as the original points cover. I also removed the red lettering from the stator cover and polished the letters.

For those of you that have not seen this photo, here is how she looked when we started!

000_0001.jpg

I am still polishing the covers but here is how they look so far.

000_0003_06.jpg

Something about the polish vs. the sandblasted surface is bugging me........
dunno. Looks tidy though.

Mr. Swagger, I understand where you are coming from and respect your opinion very much.
Personally I beleive that it will take a bit getting use to since it is a very different look and an uncommon one!
I believe that it makes for very nice contrasts and flows of textures and colors.
Most of all, it is different withoiut any radical chromatic effects, and that achieves what I have been looking for.
:) ;D

Good point, it's easy to get caught up in the 'rut'.....I'll wait and see the whole thing together in the bike. Speaking of which, what are you plans for the bike itself?

Habanero52 said:
Mr. Swagger, I understand where you are coming from and respect your opinion very much.
Personally I beleive that it will take a bit getting use to since it is a very different look and an uncommon one!
I believe that it makes for very nice contrasts and flows of textures and colors.
Most of all, it is different withoiut any radical chromatic effects, and that achieves what I have been looking for.
:) ;D

I ended up doing a polished alternator with a brushed-look left case cover and I think it turned out pretty well, too. Good choice. :)

As one who does not know the inner workings of a motorcycle engine, this has been very educational. That is a GREAT looking engine!

Mr. Swagger;
In addition to the outstanding engine by Joey, the plan for the bike is as follows:

- Black frame, either sating or wrinkle finish
- Polished or glass blasted hubs (drilled)
- Acewell Multimeter 2853AB
- Pamco electronic ignition
- Dual Dynatech Coils
- Fuel tank with aircraft type bung and chrome cap, tank painted in Tundra Pyrite Mica Metallic with two silver stripes at a 45 degree angle across the tank with a Pastinaca (Sting Ray) domed decal on each side.
- Roc City Roadster Cafe seat painted in Toyota Tundra Pyrite Mica Metallic
- Seat upholstered in black Sting Ray hide
- Front Fender from a Ducatti painted like the seat and fuel tank.
- Yellow headlamp in a silver or black bucket
- Rear sets.
- YSS PD valves with Hyperpro progressive springs for forks
- YSS RZ 362 TRL rear shocks
- Black Anodized Al Buchanan wheels with SS spokes (F 1.85 x 19 r 2.15 x 18)
- Pirelli tires (F 90/90-19 R 100/90-18)
- Ducati Sequential LED Tail light
- LED front turn signals
- Black Lossa Engineering clubman handle bars
- Some metal etchings of the Pastinaca (Sting ray) on some componets.
...and anything else that I amy come up with to compliment the above. ;D

What do you think? 8)

That, is a nice list of goodies. With the freshly updated and rebuilt motor it will for all intents and purposes be a "New" motorcycle, please be sure to post updates in a build thread as I would love to see this as you put it together.

Cheers,
Maritime

Completely un-bike-related, but are you aware that 'pastinaca' means parsnip in italian?
On more bike-related issues, GOOD JOB SIRS.

Thanks. Will do what I,can to post the build.
I forgot to mention the dual Magni curved megaphone exhaust in black satin.

Yes I am, but in Latin it means sting ray. ;D

"Dasyatis Pastinica" is a Sting Ray, whereby Pastinaca Sativa is the turnip.
Now that we are both fluent in Latin........ 8) ;D ;) :)
I appreciate your comment Mr. Benarmour. As I always say, it is important to learn something new every day.

Wow...that's going to be one helluva bike mate! I LOVE the YSS stuff, great bang for the buck too. I have a YSS shock on the back of the SuperIII and it was transformative, the bike handled well previously but after the instal it tracked like it was glued to the ground.

This will be a spectacular bike man.....

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Racing valves and spring conversion

The 5mm tapered pilot that I ordered came in so I spent Thursday afternoon cutting the valve seats to attain the proper valve stem height for correct spring and seat pressure, clearances, etc. That night I lapped all of the valves and yesterday I cleaned the head again and assembled the 5mm racing valves and the lightweight racing valve spring conversion with titanium retainers into the cylinder head.

Now that I have completed all of the valvework and the cams are ready I can finish the final polishing of the cam bearing housings, bolt the new cam chain guides to the cylinder head, assemble the cylinder head to the engine, and install the cams!

It is difficult to get a photo that shows the springs in the head but here is how the spring conversion that replaces the torsion bar system looks installed in the cylinder head on the exhaust side.

000_0013_02.jpg

Running a Pamco in my XS650. Mine cracked the thin insulation on the wires, ignition died. Now I don't know if it was the cracked insulation in a combination with a rainy day that did the trick.

Pete instantly sent me a new unit, where I reinforced the wiring with heatshrink, have been running solid for 6000km.

If I could do it over, I'd go with a Pamco. Petes customer service is superb, and the product does very well.

Brother lassenc thank you for sharing your experiences and advice with the Pamco ignition, the issue you had with the exposed wiring has been my only concern just by looking at photos of the ignition. It is very nice to hear that he has friendly customer service and stands behind his product! Brother Habanero52 has decided to try the Pamco ignition on this engine and I will be testing one on one of my motorcycles as well.

Back
Top Bottom