Brodie's Bastard BSA

Brodie

Gold Coast, Queensland
DTT SUPPORTER
Ok, so I decided to start this thread as a running ideas area that will evolve into a build thread. So here we go...

I have a BSA A10 frame from what I think is 1958. I have always liked the style of the old BSA bikes but could never afford one. So instead I decided to build my own from a lot of different bikes.
The motor I plan to use is a '72 XS2 motor and it has been far from maintained. I was an old sidecar motor that had been sitting in the hack for 21 years before I bought it. So of course a full rebuild is in order.
I had originally planned to use a new triumph 900 motor but that went out the window quick once I started to look around for them. So the next best choice was the XS, there are plenty of after market parts for them and I thought I could easily turn mine to a 750. Boy was I wrong. Turns out I have a 306 motor, right before they changed to the 447 which most aftermarket parts are made for. Only difference that concerns me is the rod length. So I am thinking of getting 447 rods fitted to the crank when I have the rebuild and rephased.

As for the forks. I have a GS750 that I have been working on, I was never completely sold on it being the bike I wanted to build, but I kept at it anyway. Lesson learnt now though. Lucky for me I have some nice powercoated Boranni Rims and a rebuilt set of forks to fit to my YamBSA. (Yambeezer)The spacing between the GS and BSA are not to different so I can just take a few mill away from the axle spacers and rotor spacers and be good to go. Of course I ran into trouble again, The BSA forks are tapered at the top going from 31mm on the lower side of the triple to 29mm on the top.

So where I am at is looking into having a custom top yoke made from 6061 and scratching my head at the amount of money I need to spend on the motor.

Anyway here are some pictures in no particular order.

tf3ArJmvEXWteFcP6QPHJmT0_8t3O8GeW-qu667gt_A=w798-h644-no

Top Tree Design V1

index.php

The Frame after a quick paint
48d45785088267cb37bfa4a2f9365f5a.jpg

Lovely 20 year build up of crust.
67eceec96365da2728e469eea045aeec.jpg

875e7d52b010aaa1d181aaafea9dd5cf.jpg

Rockers and cam seem ok
98de2a55d9b8a50cdc11623422b35c23.jpg

And its on fire...

Ok so with the engine I am looking at:

HHB Rephased Crank and Cam
447 Rods
MikesXS 750 kit
HHB PMA kit
Pamco 277 Ignition
XS Performance Mikunis
Stainless Valves
XS Performance Valve Springs

And a full bearing and seal kit.

All that will drain my wallet real quick.

For the rear shocks it comes down to cash. I have been watching a set of Marzocchi Strada shocks on ebay that are the right length and I am thinking this might be the go.
On the other hand If cash allows I would love a set of Ram Shox for this build.

The wheels will come off my GS and will have dual front rotors with dual pot calipers, the rear will be disk as well.

As for the tank I cannot decide between the standard A10 RGS tank or getting an A65 Spitfire tank.

ANNNDDD, I sold the engine.

Had a thought about how much I would be spending, thought about how I would be messing up a rare motor (XS2) and thought about why I wouldn't just spend that cash on a Triumph or BSA pre-unit.

So the historical club swap meet is in a few weeks. See what I come back with.

Ohh and I also managed to get the go ahead from my missus to build this one?!? Seems like the "But we can enter it in classic shows!" card seems to have worked. Although now there is talk of a sidecar?! Not on this one me thinks.

2889a2d77650bc1b76314ba69888dc7c.jpg

Lovely looking roller. See if I can get some parts to fill it out at the swap meet next weekend.

Looks good man =) keep an eye on that top triple. Sharp inside corners like the ones on your "clamp lugs" can start to Crack easily due to focused stress. That's why they usually have a radius. I'm not saying I'm an engineer or anything lol this is gonna be a sweet ride and I'm looking forward to following along =)

An interesting project for sure! Looking good so far...good solid frame too. Keep us posted!

Speaking of petrol tanks... I managed to pick up this beauty at a swap meet for cheap!

9b296c8e1da281118cf507f6ba275cad.jpg

Also got an oil tank while I was there. Didn't manage to find a tool box though.

As for the risers. I have a custom cut top yoke and have not drilled any holes for them yet. Wanted to figure out the tank and bars before hand

cool beezer brozie ,see what i did there ? :D
i have lots of shocks waiting to be rebuilt i could fix you up with some vintage fox gas shox, works perf gas trackers or even a nice pair of 'zoch strada in 13.25"
unfortunately the goddam shipping keeps going up and it's $65 american to ship shocks to you down dare now :'(

Hmm I will keep that in mind mate. I would love a pair set up for me. Everything is bloody costly to get shipped here. It is half the reason us Aussie take so long to build stuff.

And neoprene sounds like a good idea. Still working out what has been lopped off the frame and what has been added.

One question I do have is about the front tank mounts. There appears to be nothing for them to connect to on my frame.

Still need to decide on the colour of the bike. Surprisingly when my grandfather visited the other day he noted how nice the golden flash looked.

I hadn't even told him I was building a BSA.

Brodie said:
One question I do have is about the front tank mounts. There appears to be nothing for them to connect to on my frame.

I hadn't even told him I was building a BSA.

The two blue arrows to brackets... One is for tank mount, do you have indents under the tank for rubber cushions? if so you may need a bracket that mounts to one of those frame brackets. The red is for the tank bolt under the rubber plug with BSA on it.

Attachments

• tank mounts.JPG
    tank mounts.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,596
That tank does look nice, good shape and good colour.

Whats the condition on the paintwork like. If good, I say keep it! ;D

Hi Brodie, good to see it coming on! Your question about tank mounts.....the only mount on an A10 tank is the centre bolt and the 2 holes in your top frame tubes aren't stock, the 2 threads on the bottom of the tank near the front are just for a steel strap that is there to strengthen it. Also a pair of rubber bungs go in the lower hole of that bit hanging down.....
Have you ever been to this site? Its easy the best for anything A10....
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php

Thanks for the help guys.

The paint on the tank needs to be re done. It looks as if someone took a RGS tank and painted it for a golden flash. Has some pitting where the chrome would have been.

As for the mounting I have that sorted now thanks to your help. Just need to get the oil tank and tool box sorted.

Ohh yeah, I bought a tool box. Not a repop either.
eea81d2ee4c1dc6ab177b5b22b0ff50b.jpg

I have an odd plan, that is a M21 complete bottom end and M20 cylinder.

I plan to convert it to a OHV engine. I have only seen 3 examples of what I want to attempt. Need a Shovelhead top end to pull it off.

Currently I am thinking the M21 stroke may be too long.

Brodie said:
I have an odd plan, that is a M21 complete bottom end and M20 cylinder.

I plan to convert it to a OHV engine. I have only seen 3 examples of what I want to attempt. Need a Shovelhead top end to pull it off.

Currently I am thinking the M21 stroke may be too long.

What a fun project Brodie! isit for you? What do you ride now?

Yep, bike is for me. Hence so many chops and changes to ideas.

Currently riding a SR250 that a friend is paying me for ever so slowly. Has been a bloody good bike as well. Don't think it will be out of my fleet any time soon though.

Here is the bike that inspired me to build a single OHV.
12203095023_6d70b0c9cd_o.jpg

Very nice, the shovel top looks factory on there. Can you get hold of the builder and pick his brain some?

Back
Top Bottom