1980 CB900F Build

White trace! On the wires! thanks CXman, turns out I had them backwards. My god I have awoken a beast, I got so used to it running on two cylinders that when I finally got it going on four I couldn't believe the noise and revs I could achieve.
Now I have to order float needles and a fuel tap to stop the two petrol leaks I have. Also I will look at getting some new cables custom made to fit.

What adventures I've had! So I got the new float needles and stopped the leaking from there and also put a new fuel tap on and stop the petrol leaking from there too but now its weeping out of the carby bowl. (Pictured) I have ordered new gaskets for them. One day this bike wont leak fuel!
I sent the cables away to get shortened and they come back a perfect fit! pays to measure things twice.
The fuel temp sender that I put in the sump is also leaking oil. (Pictured)
Bike stopped charging so I replaced the coil and now its working.
I have been for a few short rides and just the other day it sounded a bit "crunchy". I thought that the chain might have a seized section in it so I rolled it on to the hoist to check it but before I could get it on it stopped rolling dead in its tracks. Turns out the front caliper bolts were only hand tight and the nuts had fallen off, the bolt was sticking out hitting the forks! Glad I worked that out in the garage and not on the road. So now I have to order a new bolt and some nuts.

Attachments

• 20181012_155511.jpg
    20181012_155511.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 20181012_155530.jpg
    20181012_155530.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 20181012_155446.jpg
    20181012_155446.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 240
Damn, you got lucky on that rotor bolt. Make sure to loctite those when you reinstall. Use the Red stuff.

For the leaky sender on the sump, next time you do an oil change (after you've drained the oil), clean everything with acetone or alcohol. Then use some Yamabond, a tiny bit on the threads and some on the sealing surface to seal it up. Let it set up overnight before you fill it with oil again.

Tim of all trades said:
White trace! On the wires! thanks CXman, turns out I had them backwards. My god I have awoken a beast, I got so used to it running on two cylinders that when I finally got it going on four I couldn't believe the noise and revs I could achieve.
Now I have to order float needles and a fuel tap to stop the two petrol leaks I have. Also I will look at getting some new cables custom made to fit.

I can appreciate the hard work that went into the bike, but Im a purist. I have a 82 CB 900F and the most I did was put on red s/s brake lines, and CR carbs. Not knocking your fine work at all, but I dont know why ppl chop these things up.

Attachments

• IMG_5032.JPG
    IMG_5032.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 485
  • Closeup.jpg
    Closeup.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 490
Not knocking your fine work at all, but I dont know why ppl chop these things up.
CB900's are great bikes. For me Tim's is cleaner and better looking but that is what customising is all about, making it yours. Nothing wrong with original. I am pleased to see these great bikes being enjoyed

nice job glad you got it sorted its a wonderful bike and a lot of fun

cxman said:
nice job glad you got it sorted its a wonderful bike and a lot of fun

If you were responding to me, yes its an AMAZING bike. I love that "WHOOOSH" that happens just after 6,000 RPMs Truly a fun bike.

Back
Top Bottom