modified, aftermarket, or custom. nothing is safe (78 KZ1000)

Nice nice build!
better welds than most...

my compliments to the weldor.

the headlights clamps are the tits

thanks guys. getting close. i have a bet with my brother to finish it by july 1st. cant loose!

doc_rot said:
The Z1 never came with a rear disk. If you had this caliper, the entire rear end would have to be swapped, and a bracket for the MC / pushrod pivot made. No offense intended, but I wonder if you had the correct components set up properly, mint or not. I hardly ever use my rear brake, except in emergency braking situations, or on dirt/grass/gravel. In any of those scenarios you do not want an aggressive rear brake or the rear will lock up. I'm sure this setup will have plenty of brake force.
Sorry kz1000 and from a distance it looks to be the same. A back break is useful. People down play needing an effective rear brake. I just think with all the effort in the build, keeping the stock rear brake short changes the build.
xb33bsa said:
that huge boat anchor heavy KZ disc and caliper is just horrible though :-[ :-\
why not put something svelt on it ? and your swingarm bracing is a bit over the top as well,too deep it doesn't look right
Yes it is very heavy indeed and another vote for its terrible performance.

Derp. should have guessed you were talking about your KZ1000A1. you had/have this caliper. Like I said, i will probably change it down the road, but this is more than adequate for the moment. I also want to ride this bike, messing with something that works fine at this point is a great way to get derailed. i don't want to loose the bet!

Just a quick update. I was over at my buddies place using his sheet brake, its a cheapo but gets good results for small stuff. I made a couple of small aluminum brackets to hold various electrical components. I also thought i'd share a pic of a titanium kickstand he has been fiddling with for weeks. Think its for an Aprilla race bike.

IMG_0328_zps3422aabc.jpg

IMG_0329_zpsac9caf6d.jpg

IMG_0326_zps214582b3.jpg

doc_rot said:
Just a quick update. I was over at my buddies place using his sheet brake, its a cheapo but gets good results for small stuff. I made a couple of small aluminum brackets to hold various electrical components. I also thought i'd share a pic of a titanium kickstand he has been fiddling with for weeks. Think its for an Aprilla race bike.

IMG_0328_zps3422aabc.jpg

IMG_0329_zpsac9caf6d.jpg

IMG_0326_zps214582b3.jpg
Looks like a nice skid plate!

Ya I will need a modified kickstand on my Kz too. She sits pretty low compared to stock.

My late birthday present came 8) 1.75" over stock to even out the geometry and gain ride height. They are much nicer than the Works shocks I previously was planning on using. They are beefier everywhere and 6oz lighter per shock.

IMG_0350_zps9b14096e.jpg

Because of the over length shocks I need a chain slider on the swingarm. Eric turned up this chunk of derelin and I fish-mouthed it so It uses no fasteners, as it is entrapped when the swingarm is mounted. I may need more sliders, but that can be addressed later if need be.

IMG_0365_zps1f297d5c.jpg

IMG_0368_zps07998c73.jpg

All the remaining tabs needed are welded on. The bungs for the exhaust hanger are welded in. A couple nasty welds have been cleaned up. The kickstand has been moved up to the bottom engine mount, the detent spring peg had to be relocated so the engine bolt could fit. The kickstand was shorted because it is now farther out from the center. I have plans for something trick to replace the stock solid one.

IMG_0386_zpsad89e6f1.jpg

I then turned my attention to the rear sets. These Tarrozis were meant to be bolt-ons so they had to compromise a bit, like using the huge stock brake pivot. I also wanted to retain the use of my kickstart and the brake pedal was solidly blocking it.

55b65f37-f156-4bc8-926d-96b4031fbcf9_zpsf8a392fb.jpg

I saw on a XS650 forum where people had cut a channel in the pivot to allow the pedal to be brought back out of the way temporarily. To do this you had to leave everything a bit loose to allow the pedal and pivot not to bind. I didn't want any slop in my footpegs so Eric and I came up with a solution i am very proud of. I cut a piece of 1"tube with .065" wall thickness and it made a perfect bushing for the footpeg and pivot. As a safety feature a spring loaded pin was added on the pedal so that the brake lever cannot be accidentally kicked up when riding. You simply compress the spring and pull the pedal up. Eric turned most of the parts, while grumbling about his "clapped out" lathe, and did the amazing welding as usual. I'm nearly done finishing the parts, I just need to clean up some if the holes I drilled. I also cut the threads off the footpeg mounting studs and drilled and tapped them to use some stainless countersunk washers. I also had to file down the Tarrozi bracket mounts to remove the counter sunk flange on the casting. I also took the opportunity to remove the casting marks. I have ordered folding footpegs from Fast from the Past, so I should have plenty of clearance for the kicker.

IMG_0403_zpsa2e10c3a.jpg

IMG_0408_zps44adbecb.jpg

IMG_0410_zps6265bc8a.jpg

0719695e-c444-4c0c-804d-a5369c24effa_zps35eaf00a.jpg

IMG_0420_zps38ed8af2.jpg

d32a74e3-9ba4-4a94-ad43-e05850a18058_zps3a3cb800.jpg

43139774-d568-47e2-8877-9f65a0dabbb2_zps0a8e5bd9.jpg

IMG_0411_zpsc60e89de.jpg

lookin good love those shocks :D
yeah the chain is going to be very loose at full drop and even when riding a lot of the time it is going to be flapping around quite a bit
a stationay roller placed up front under the bottom run can work pretty well to take out a lot of the droopslack if strateegically placed

thanks guys. I'm hoping it wont need a chain roller. The bike that inspired me to go balls out on this has 2" over shocks and he does not run a slider or roller. Its kinda hard to see in the photo but there isn't even that much slack in his chain. I will have to wait and see once the bike is on the road and address it if needed.

left-224976868288182592aa76455ad9768b_zps1abf6bec.jpg
np1_800_zps432a0770.jpg

Nice work, the attention to detail is bar none. I'm sure the geometry was well planed, but that swingarm bracing does cause me to turn my head sideways.

Did I hear that you were taking orders for the dimple die brace panels? Do i need to send materials or can you source that and just send the invoice?

RD :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Nice work, the attention to detail is bar none. I'm sure the geometry was well planed, but that swingarm bracing does cause me to turn my head sideways.

Did I hear that you were taking orders for the dimple die brace panels? Do i need to send materials or can you source that and just send the invoice?

RD :eek:

thanks man. Yeah the bracing is a bit low, too late now though. I wasn't planning on taking orders for dimpled steel, if you can't find a shop to do it for you let me know and we can work something out.

The fiberglass and other fab work on this build got me motivated to push ahead on my KZ400 despite the frigid garage. Top notch stuff.

LBC said:
The fiberglass and other fab work on this build got me motivated to push ahead on my KZ400 despite the frigid garage. Top notch stuff.
Thanks man. I like coming here to get inspired by some of the cool shit i see. its good to know it works both ways.

Finally stopped procrastinating and started final assembly of the motor. Wiseco 1075 pistons and APE heavy duty cylinder studs. I picked up the caliper mounts from the machinist. He made them out of 7050, an alloy I had never heard of before. He showed me a coil chip left over from machining, and man it is tough stuff! I need to get some appropriate hardware to mount them. I also had him machine and knurl some parts for a stainless kickstand. I will finalize the foot of the kickstand once i have a rolling chassis.

IMG_0602_zpsoagk7qgi.jpg

IMG_0562_zps3uzsyfux.jpg

IMG_0566_zpsdgpdmcut.jpg

IMG_0568_zpszagw5zxc.jpg

IMG_0570_zpscvkaw28u.jpg

IMG_0574_zpsor193hl9.jpg

IMG_0575_zpsfmuccq08.jpg

Another small item off the check list. I shaved the stock fender mounts and made a bracket off the caliper bracket. very pleased with how it turned out. Just need some cool fasteners to finish the front end off. I was thinking about 12 point flange bolts for the fork/caliper bracket. Maybe some button or allen head screws for the caliper and disk? Any suggestions on some trick hardware?
IMG_0672_zpslzrbgoh1.jpg

IMG_0670_zpsydxshuyi.jpg

IMG_0671_zpszqu6njox.jpg

IMG_0669_zpsutjanuch.jpg

Back
Top Bottom